+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RTU replacement

Post Likes
    Off with an old wore out RUUD and on with a new RHEEM. The old heatexchanger was split wide open and they wanted us to replace the compressor in it because they didn't need the heat until winter started. We finally convinced them to replace the unit. Yes it was a miserable rainy day too.

Post Likes
    Looks like a good job,although that dripleg not going to do any good where it is.You should have ran the gas line a little higher than the opening on the unit, then dropped downto the unit with the dripleg at the bottom.

Post Likes
    The drip leg was corrected after the pic was taken. My helper in the RUUD pic now understands how to install a drip leg.

Post Likes
    Doesn't really matter. You never find anything in a drip leg anyway. It's just another stupid code.

Post Likes
    I have found a little oil in one drip leg in the past ten years. The oil was from the person that cut and threaded the pipe.

Post Likes
    You never find anything in a drip leg anyway

A 29 cent nipple and a 20 cent cap to prevent a 75-100 dollar service call. Works for me.

Post Likes
    Dont understand why you would worry about this simple code - we have found all kinds of crap like water and debris - think it saved a few no heat calls from junk clogging up the gas valve.

Post Likes
    They would have been nuts to put a new comp and HX in that old POS, what were they thinking?
    Nice job, drip legs are over rated.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes
    Nascarfool, good help is hard to find, just kidding, he's a helper and still learning. As for dice, drip legs are not overated, they are put on for the reason to catch unwanted things from the gas valve. And yes gas valves have screens in them, they still serve their purpose.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by zzonko
    You never find anything in a drip leg anyway

A 29 cent nipple and a 20 cent cap to prevent a 75-100 dollar service call. Works for me.
    It has always been my opinion that $1(Tee, nipple and cap) of parts now is better then $100+ later. Especially when the later will always be in the middle of a cold night. Also it is easier to pull a drip leg and dump it out the get to the screens in some gas valves. The amount of crap and moisture in the gas supply varies depending on where you live though.
    Warning: Just because I am over the head injury doesn't mean I'm normal!

The day I stop learning.... I'm dead!

Post Likes
    We're in an area were drip legs are god. All our gas is propane except in parts of Mass. Cold temps on the roof. Man, I have dumped so much water out of drip legs. I wish I had some scotch to go with it.

Post Likes
    Drip legs and sediment legs are necessary in some areas. Different parts of the country have "wet" natural gas supplies. Without a drip leg, service would be necessary 3 times a week in parts of the country. Not to mention the trash that sometimes shows up in gas lines that could potentially damage or plug up a gas valve. A change of direction drip/sediment leg is the only proper way to install one. Bye-the-way, good looking job.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in