Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Why not bash true? They earned it.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Lightbulb

Hey Guys, Im new to this forum so be gentle.

Im the Service Manager for a Refrigeration co. in Northern VA.
    We stock 10 cap tubes on the truck all diffrent sizes.
    any time we run into a clogged cap tube its removed 100 %
    a drier installed, a couple drops of Thaw zone, and a 30 min vacuum. If my guys spent time cutting out 2 inches here 1 inch there, 1/2 of my customers wouldnt get service
    that day.
    Why even try to clear it or cut a piece out? Isnt that a waste of time?

Any ways theres my opinion, and we know the saying about opinions.

Smitty

So let me get this straight . If oil is overheated due to dirty ,condenser then the compressor is on its way to the big scrap heap in the sky. Won't the customer be impressed with you after getting a $500 bill and the unit dies two weeks later . You just cant win.

Originally posted by oak
    So let me get this straight . If oil is overheated due to dirty ,condenser then the compressor is on its way to the big scrap heap in the sky. Won't the customer be impressed with you after getting a $500 bill and the unit dies two weeks later . You just cant win.
    Thanks to our friends at dupont ... we have this poe crap to deal with for the rest of our natural lives.

There aint gonna be no poe in Heaven. And dupont probably ownt be there either. At least not the owner.

Some employee's .... quite possibly.

In regards to thaw-zone .... I am saying this in a nice gentle tone of keyboarding .... so I am not putting you down.
    But please hear this; thaw-zone dont belong in any kind type or style of mechaincal refrigerating equipment! PERIOD!!!
    And the only thing worse than putting thaw-zone in a system is putting dye-tel (red dye) in a system.
    I am NOT referring to florescent dye, which is yellowish and used with a back light for leak detection. This is different.
    Dye-tel and thaw-zone are the tools of a hack. Timing a vacuum is also something that makes me worry.

Unless you use a very good micron gage and a vacuum pump which is clean and use fresh oil before each and every vacuum .... using the vacuum pump is only getting out the free air, but not the moisture.

Using a clock to time the vacuum is like using a clock to time how long you hold your torch in a given position for sweating a joint.
    It's a good thing DiceMan is outa town right now, he'd rake you over the coals. And he's a friendly sorta guy!

I hope your not offended by my exhortation to refrain from hillbilly methods.
    But simply stated, they just dont have any place in refrigeration service. Never did, never will.

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn and gorw your knowledge of the trade.

I do like your policy of replacing cap tubes which are plugged.
    However, when I got one which would be a real pain to change out, I whack 6 off and button her back up.

If that is hacking, I will accept my cor4ection and try to refrain from that practice myself.

I went to coopland compressor break down seminar 2 weeks ago they did i demo with the ek filters compared to older ones and sporlan the ek caught and traped more then the other 2 with out pluging up also the sporlan released white particails from the desacant into the system with vibration try useing the ek filters to tget the system clear.

Originally posted by R12rules
    Originally posted by oak
    Thanks to our friends at dupont ... we have this poe crap to deal with for the rest of our natural lives.

There aint gonna be no poe in Heaven!

In regards to thaw-zone .... I am saying this in a nice gentle tone of keyboarding .... so I am not putting you down.
    But please hear this; thaw-zone dont belong in any kind type or style of mechaincal refrigerating equipment! PERIOD!!!
    And the only thing worse than putting thaw-zone in a system is putting dye-tel (red dye) in a system.
    I am NOT referring to florescent dye, which is yellowish and used with a back light for leak detection. This is different.
    Dye-tel and thaw-zone are the tools of a hack. Timing a vacuum is also something that makes me worry.

Unless you use a very good micron gage and a vacuum pump which is clean and use fresh oil before each and every vacuum .... using the vacuum pump is only getting out the free air, but not the moisture.

Using a clock to time the vacuum is like using a clock to time how long you hold your torch in a given position for sweating a joint.
    It's a good thing DiceMan is outa town right now, he'd rake you over the coals. And he's a friendly sorta guy!

I hope your not offended by my exhortation to refrain from hillbilly methods.
    But simply stated, they just dont have any place in refrigeration service. Never did, never will.

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn and gorw your knowledge of the trade.

I do like your policy of replacing cap tubes which are plugged.
    However, when I got one which would be a real pain to change out, I whack 6" off and button her back up.
    I have found this to be reliable. If upon start up the system does not operate correctly, I give the customer the option of pay the great extra for replacing the cap tube versus replacing the True or Bev Air which has just failed.

I really wish manufacturers made is straight forward to replace the metering device on these small systems.

Wow,
    I kinda forgot about this thread and felt bad I hadn't reported back. It turned out well in the end. New cap tube(I won't ever try to unstop one again) I put a filter drier after the strainer and all is well. Probably the last one I do for awhile. I just feel bad for some people around here. They can't get any service. I like residential hvac. R-22 in everything and nowhere near the inventory to keep or urgency for most repairs. Thanks to all.
    scott
    Oh yeah It got a new compressor the old one ran but wouldn't pump

[Edited by West Virginia on 05-09-2004 at 11:23 PM]

condenseddave,
    I just read the first page. I was born in Cocoa Beach, FL. I am difficult to offend. And if I was offended does it really matter? Do you know what they do in west virginia for halloween? Pumpkin. Say it s-l-o-w

I'm glad someone mentioned his timed vacumm. I agree on the 30min, but 30min holding at 350microns

Hmm

Thanx people for the tech stuff. I like the chopping off the front end of the cap tube, I'll try that next time, see is it works. As for the timming of a vacume operation on a small refrigerator,....gee, you don't really want to put the client out of bussiness do you? One hour under 500 microns for 1/3 HP compresser on a small fridge seems too much as a rutine practice. How about 15 minutes after the pump starts to run smoothly and no steam is comming out of it?

How about holding 500 microns or less for an hour with a blank off test? That way you have proved your work. How can you time a dehydration? I've had some take 30 minutes, other take 3 days. Question- why would one put Thawzone in a system if you're doing a dehydration? I don't get it.

Originally posted by jhd1234
    How about holding 500 microns or less for an hour with a blank off test? That way you have proved your work.
    Just curious what you do for an hour while watching it hold a vacuum. This is a 1/3HP we're talking about. By the time you get the vacuum pump running, the job is pretty much done. Changing a 1/3HP this way could take 4+ hours. Customer might as well buy a new unit.

it should have plugged the filter,before the captube, make shore the end of captube is open, if not replace the whole captube, there only about 8 dollars

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast