+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quadrafire Castile not working

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Confused Quadrafire Castile not working

I have a Quadrafire Castile Pellet Stove insert. I run my stove, on the low setting, 24-7. I clean the fire pot out several a week and tear the stove down weekly to clean the back passages. One of the problems that I have run into is that you are at the mercy of the big box stores when it comes to the quality of the pellets that you get. I have a ton of pellets that I got from Lowe's. These pellets are in random lengths and extremely hard. In general, they burn well but twice now I've had the auger bind up. The first time I removed the screws from the motor mount and moved the auger up and down in the tube which freed up the jam. After that, the stove went back to working properly. Yesterday, the same thing happened again. I followed the same procedure to clear the jam however, the stove will not restart. I mean nothing happens, there's nobody home. None of the indicator lights will lite, none of the fans will start. I checked the power cord and there is power to the stove. I tried the reset switch but nothing happens. Does anyone have any ideas?

Post Likes
    There might be another snap switch on the bakc of the auger tube. Otherwise I would suggest you call a tech out there to fix it.

Post Likes
    Update,

I opened the control module for me Quardafire and fornd that the 800 mA fuse had blown. I replaced the fuse but that fuse blew too. Any thoughts as to why these fuses keep blowing and how do I trouble shoot thecontrol unit?

Post Likes
    A fuse INSIDE the clear control box? Or the user serviceable fuse by the call light?

If its the normal fuse, that would usually mean your ignitor is shorting out someplace, or you have a wire with a cut it in someplace shorting out. If you have not had any hopper fires or major overheating the ignitor is the usual cause.

Post Likes
    It's the fuse inside the clear control box that keeps blowing........I checked the normal fuse and it's good. Have you read the original post about the problem? This whole thing started with a auger jam........

Post Likes
    The control box is not serviceable, it should be replaced.

An auger jam could not cause a fuse to blow.

Post Likes
    Is it normal for the control box to just go south like that or should I be looking for some under lying cause?

Post Likes

Exclamation toast

You could have suffered a high voltage spike or lightning hit that fried the board. Who knows. The point is, it apparently is fried so replace the module. Have the tech Ohm out all the circuits to look for a short.

Hearthman

Post Likes
    I was in the house when the board fried. There was no lightening in the area. Where can I get a circuit diagrahm so I know how many ohms each circuit should be drawing?

More Info....When I replaced the fuse on the circuit board and plugged it in, the call light came back on really weak and there was a loud humming comming from the control board before the new fuse fried. I really need to get to the root of the problem so that I'm not just throwing a new control box in the machine only to have it fry too.

Post Likes

Cool no DIY

Sorry, this is not a DIY site. You can contact your local dealer but that's about it. Try to locate a qualfified technician.

Post Likes
    Thanks for your concern Hearthman but as the service manager for a plumbing and heating firm I have serviced many boilers, furnaces and coal & wood stoves. It happens that we are not Quadrafire dealers even though I installed one in my family room. If I can obtain the proper documentation for the unit I'm fully qualified to repair it. As one professional to another, can you help?

Thank you.

Post Likes
    There is no circuit diagram with resistance readings, its not a furnace.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in