Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: You're Fired

Been there, done that. You want to believe that the guy will come around. Part of it is you don't want to admit to yourself that you made a mistake in hiring the person. We have so much paperwork that has to be done to hire someone that I don't want to waste or repeat that time investment. The fact remains though that what you see out of a person the first 30 days is probably the best you can expect. This guy had no work ethic. Everything else was more important than this job. He was simply too busy to have a job. Firing someone no matter the circumstances is no fun. You start to think not only about that person but their families and/or children that rely on that paycheck. The fact remains though that you have a business to run, it's not a charity. I fired someone last month and another yesterday. Again, it's no fun but they had it coming.

Originally posted by i_got_ideas
    We hired a good one.....put an ad out, he was the first to apply....I couldn't have been easier. He has no HVAC experience but used to work on appliances so he has a good idea about stuff. It has only been 9 days and he has impressed everyone....

AND ok.....what do you do in this situation....our lead installer.....does AWSOME work. He can make a damn furnace look like a work of art and run just as good as it looks. Problem is the short day thing too. Sometimes comes in 9:30 or so, then leaves at 3 or 4:00. Not all the time but a lot. We don't want to lose him but how the hell do you get a guy to change his ways, he hasn't always been like this. I have to say that he does make sure everything is done before he calls it a day though, I appreciate that...It's just annoying to hear him ***** about small checks when he works so many short days. Any ideas?

[Edited by i_got_ideas on 04-23-2004 at 02:15 AM]
    I've seen a lot of these guys also. You need to sit down with him and tell him what you see and ask him what he's thinking. I'll bet he'll say that in that amount of time he gets the same amount done as some of your other guys. He's measuring himself against others mistakes rather than being the best he can be. A leading indicator of a companies success is billable hours. Of course non-billable time is a drain but won't kill you if the billable hours are enough. When a guy is not putting in at least 40 does the insurances, truck payment, office rent, administrative salaries, etc. go away or get reduced? Hell no it doesn't. The more hours billed the less the bite of overhead.

You're Fired!©

Are you allowed to say that? Didn't Trump want to get it copyrighted?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345