Thread: KMC Controls

KMC Controls

Anyone have any positive or negative opinions on KMC Bacnet line of controls.We have the oppurtunity to become a partner and would appreciate any feedback. TIA

From the pacific coast, live in the mid-west now!
    I personally don't like them. We were a rep for about a year and after doing a few jobs, we dropped them like it was hot. Constant integration issues on a BACnet level (always seems to be their fault), and schotty hardware. KMC = K-Mart Controls. Flexibility in software is what you made of it.

I would suggest American Auto-Matrix or Reliable Controls if you want to rep a good line. Both have excellent hardware, good software flexibility, and have all BTL-listed products. My company represents both. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but the hardware is built like a brick $hithouse on each. I've been installing and programming both for well over five years now and the customers seem to like them.

I rep them now and would say that I never really had any problems with controllers. My biggest gripes are with the software. It is quite primitive and not well tested before being sent out. Fortunately the tech support is pretty good.

They also have some strange configurations in ASC controllers. I/O is not universal in most and it never seems that you can do what you need to do without somehow paying extra.

Look at their pricing structure too. Study it closely but then forget it because the whole thing will change six months from now. They are constantly changing the way the charge for front end software and the 'Tech Software Plan'. If you bid a job, by the time you get the work the pricing structure will change. That's not necessarily meaning that the price will go up but you will be in a constant state of confusion.

One other thing, pick up a few ASHRAE mags and tell me how many ads you find then tally the ads from the competition such as mentioned previously.

I'm not saying that they are bad to work with but you will definitely be in a one sided relationship.
    "Controls is a lifestyle not a job" -klrogers

Quote Originally Posted by dapper View Post
    ...My biggest gripes are with the software. It is quite primitive...
    I usually describe the line as "archaic", although "third world controls" gets occasional use.

Pros:
    Relatively easy to configure
    Pricing (from a contractor's point of view) isn't bad
    Reliable
    Pretty wide variety of products

Cons:
    Hard to document the system
    VAV controllers are prehistoric
    Controller inputs more susceptible to noise than most
    UA LU 562

From the pacific coast, live in the mid-west now!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveCR View Post
    Cons:
    Hard to document the system
    VAV controllers are prehistoric
    Controller inputs more susceptible to noise than most
    You'd almost think that with all the money they likely make off end devices - they'd actually sink some good money into the R&D of the controls portion of it. One thing I've heard is that they farm out some of their software development to other companies.

I hear Total Control is a total b!tch to work with.

I wouldn't say that it is a total biotch but it can be very buggy. The latest version is an improvement but it still leaves some to be desired. Once you set it up it seems to run fine.
    "Controls is a lifestyle not a job" -klrogers