Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: For R12 Rules

Dude, let er ripppppp ..... let it out.

Basically it is a story that started about 5 years ago and has been festering ever since. When I can collect my thoughts I will try to post a condensed unbiased account of the goings on. After you read it, you will not be surprised that the Palestinians and Israelis have been fighting over a piece of land for over 2000 years.

I'm sure we all know someone that has had an argument with their neighbor over land boundries. It can actually get quite ugly.

Pretty surprising too seeing as we only "own" things while we are mere mortals on this Earth. As far as I know the Creator owns all.
    I pray not for an easy life but that I be a strong person.

I've had a problem with a hag about a boundry line at a rental for 11 years. She drives me F'n crazy sometimes with what she'll do to piss me off. But I just suck it in and treat her real nice and I think that steams her panties even more. "Don't get me wrong tho. I've exploded several times on her."

5 years ago my wife and I bought a house at the end of a dead end road. We are the last house on the left. There is a beautiful wooded property that surrounds the side and rear of our house. I asked the realtor if that land could be built on. She said no because there was not enough road frontage to develop the property. That was my final decision in buying the house. If the property could not be developed I would have some of the privacy and peace and quiet I cherish.

Not long after buying the house, the land owner allowed the town to dump big ugly piles of road sand and salt left over from the winter roads. Apparently his land starts as soon as the paved town road ends. So I had these piles of sand pretty close to the entrance of my driveway and it blew a fair amount of sand into my driveway over the summer.

I grinned and beared it because I did not want to be fighting with my neighbor for the next 20 years. The landowner lives a couple of houses up the street from me and I am not the kind of guy that likes to make waves.

Shortly after that he dumped a large pile of creosote treated landscaping timbers that he had dug up from his yard. He proceeded to dump them right on his land next to the property line. Well it was quite an eyesore. And I had to tell my kids not to play on that side of the yard or on the timbers as they could be toxic. Namely getting a sliver or something. Also at the time I thought that it would be a great haven for insects.

Again I said nothing. What could I do? It is not my land and he has the right to do what he wants on his own property, I guess. So I let that go too.

Over the years I have seen wheelbarrows of dog crap dumped. Not to mention every kind of fill you can think of. Every once in awhile he would come down with his bulldozer and push everything over the embankment. It became obvious that he was slowly but surely building some kind of access road to his property.

I believe people have the right to access their property. And in the case of this land it would be for logging or recreational purposes. However, there is a couple of catches that have been upsetting to me and I am not quite sure how to handle it.

He recently became the town highway superintendant. With his bulldozing he is right at the start of filling in wetlands and a vernal pool. That irks me because it is against the law. My neighbor across the road is not happy either because he started the driveway right on the border of his property. My neighbor also does not like to make waves.

Shortly after that I find out the town is trying to pass a by law for people that want to develop their land but they do not have the required road frontage. Sounds like small down politics at their best trying to pull a couple of quick ones so that one of the town officials can have some special consideration. The only thing I can do about that one is to try and gather support to fight the change at the town meeting on May 3rd.

Even more recently he plopped a hugh travel trailer at the end of the road right next to the property line and now Ive got to look at that everyday. Plus they come down a lot to work and dub on the trailer. Translation: parking the camper next to my side yard took away a lot of my privacy.

I had a couple pieces of plywood and a few pieces of lumber stacked against a tree about one foot over the property line. When I came home from an Easter Sunday outing I discovered that the lumber had been stacked against the side of my shed. His wife was in the trailer at the time and I told her if we had anything on their property and it was bugging them to come tell me, I would remove it promptly and to not just throw the stuff against the shed.

She went home and told her husband I was yelling at her. Not true. I am a gentleman that yells at no woman. Ever.
    He came down the road like a mad bull and right out in my yard he gave it to me both barrells. I was so unused to being verbally assaulted I had all I could do to pull myself together and reason with him.

He went on a rambling tirade about things I had to move off his property, such as a kids swingset and a small pile of split wood. When I put the swing up 5 years ago I told him it was going to be a little bit on his property and he said no problem because he never goes down in that area of the woods. He said my kids could not play ball at the end of the road anymore because it was his property. I said why dont you just tell them. They are sitting right there. He looked up at them and said to stay off his property. I just said unbelievable and walked away.

The fact that he just marched on my property, verbally assaulted me and the fact all I could do was fumble and bumble my way around some replies has left me feeling woefully inadequate as a man.

I have been to meetings. I have talked about my anger. I have prayed about it. Two weeks have passed and I am still reliving it in my head. I do not know if I am more mad at myself or him or both.

At any rate I was going to have some environmental people check out the vernal pool and the wetlands being filled in but I fear this will just escalate the tension and cause more problems. I have considered moving because I do not like even driving up and down my road anymore.

I know I can apologize for my part in any of the problem, but as far as reasoning with him or making him see the ways of his errors, well, I think that would be a waste of time.

I am usually a very happy person that gets along well with almost everyone in town. I have done Cub Scouts, coached youth basketball and I am running to get on the Recreation Committee to give more time back to the youth of this community.

Why oh why do I have to let this one event drag me down into the gutter? And Dice you are right. If I have a problem and drink over it, now I have 2 problems.

There you have it boys and girls. Blast away. I am not asking you to take sides. I am asking for your honest opinion and view on a real life situation.

BTW, print this and read it before you go to bed at night. I am sure it will help you all get to sleep! Sodadude

Make waves, f^ck it.

This guy is obviously violating some State and possibly Federal Environmental protection laws, so rat his ass out. Hell, I'd tell him I was gonna do it. I'd write letters with facts, photos, all kinds of proof, and I'd CC this sunuva*****.

I would make his life a living hell.

But, then, I would've busted his jaw after sending the children back inside, too.

You gotta do what you gotta do, especially when your kids are right there, though, so getting physical or speaking Dave-in-ese to this guy was not the brightest thing to do in that situation.

Quit beating yourself up.

Don't get mad, don't get even, but definitely even up the playing field.

Do his bosses in the town know what he's up to???

Use the EPA instead of get used by the EPA, for a change.

Make us all proud.

Quick fix

5 gallon can of gasoline and a few matches. Set his dung heep on fire. If you show them you are crazy, he will back off!! BTW, we do settle things this way in Louisiana!!

Originally posted by condenseddave
    But, then, I would've busted his jaw after sending the children back inside, too.
    Therein lies my shame and woeful inadequacy. I was never taught by my Dad how to stand up for myself and how to defend myself in a fight. I have lost every physical fight I have ever been in and in all honesty I am a coward.

Not wanting my boys to go through this same path in life I picked up the phone and called some places that teach self defense. One guy who was very nice said that it would be a great thing for me and my 10 year old to take classes together. That after a year, you would feel completely different about yourself. Your sons self confidence and self esteem would rise highly. And he said so would mine.

Originally posted by condenseddave
    Do his bosses in the town know what he's up to???
    Dave, what you have to understand is this guy is a Native to the town. I have been here 12 years.

He is like the Pied Piper in the town. He is very well liked and pretty much has quite a following.

Without having first hand knowledge I can pretty much tell you he has everyone at the Town Hall pretty much under his thumb. He is charismatic when he has to be.

So you see I have to make a choice. It is not so much taking him on(although that is part of it) as it will probably become taking on a whole group in town.

I can definitely see it escalating.

On the other hand how can I take a stand if I do not know how to physically defend myself? Right now that is the only thing holding me back.

Originally posted by sodadude
    has left me feeling woefully inadequate as a man.

Bull****.
    I admire you for keeping your cool, especially around your children.
    Now is the time to teach the kids how the world works. Take pictures of the crap he has dumped and explain you are working through the system to make it right.
    I hope you win!!

It would have been hard to hold back but you did the right thing. Kicking his a*s wouldn't have helped even though he deserves it. Go about it legally. He can't dump that stuff anywhere he wants. Get the pictures, do research, find what he is legally allowed to do and what he's not. He can't just turn a piece of land into a dump where people and children live. Have you thought of building a privacy fence? Realators will tell you anything.

A smart man can kick a violent mans a*s any day and never have to make a fist.

I know what you're feeling cause this lady that's always on me does stuff that would amaze you. She's on every commitee in town and calls every city enforcement agency she can think of over pidlly sh*t. She's lived there since the 60's and thinks she owns the street.

Maybe he'll give you a good price for your house for access if you decide to move.

Originally posted by mattm

Maybe he'll give you a good price for your house for access if you decide to move.
    Matt, how ironic you should mention that. His wife wanted to buy this house at the same time we did. But they had other priorities at the time.

I have buddies at work that think this plopping of stuff at the end of the road IS actually a ploy to get us to sell our home.

Yes they could have a free for all after buying this property. They would have direct access.

cmon, my god, quit being a wus. What do you care he has the town under his thumb. What the hell does that matter. If he is a dick, I'll bet other people agree. And the fact he started barking in your yard. I mean, dude, it aint about what your dad did or didn't do for you. Just fricken do it.

Pictures, letters, police reports about all this going on. Take em to court.

And another thing. Your children are watching every move you make. Good job not to raise a fist during this front yard confrontation, but you must teach your children not to back down to this sort of thing either.

I will tell you what i did last summer. One of our neigbors is a dick. I mean this dude is a real jack. His dog comes over ****s in my yard. His kids walk through my yard. I had enough and called him up. His drunk but comes barreling out of the house. The whole block watcing including my kids. I egged him on till he threw his best punch. Then kicked him in the nuts and called the police for assault. I had about ten eye witnesses and my actions were in self defense. I also put a restraining order on him and his wife and now they are selling their home.

People like that never win when challenged. Never.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast