Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 in 1 removal

Those in the Midwest probably remember the Williamson 5 in 1 units. At least if they've installed or removed one, their backs still do

Here's one we pulled out. The 5 in 1 had heat, built in coil, built in EAC & hum. We replaced with a 2 stage 80, no way to vent a 90. Had to reset the coil in the plenum and install a hum. Took 3 guys all day. Lots of metal!

Nice job on the change out, I'll bet that williamson was fun taking out in pieces. I've got one question though, were is the condensate trap for the coil?

What is that pvc street elbow ontop for? Very nice job. It is to be commended.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

It looks like a nice, clean job. I would have done the drain differently though. Traps are a good thing. Also, I like continuous slope instead of straight to the floor.

3 sore backs this morning. Far end of the basement of course. At least stairs were right at the garage not in the middle of the house.

Nobody traps blow-thru coils around here. Not sure why, I guess to avoid blockages.

This is a sealed combustion furnace but no way to run PVC outside so to avoid problems if something is set on top of the furnace, they put the ell on the intake.

I gotcha.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

Those old units were fun to carry up stairs.
    A trap on the positive side of the system with the condensate going to an open floor drain or laudry tub, is not needed, all it does is cause gunk to build up in it.
    So you have a 90% unit using b-vent? What am I missing?
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

80% furnace, no way to vent a 90 where this furnace sat in the basement.

Well then even on those somewhat "sealed" comb chambers isn't air brought in through the vents on the front panel there?
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Nice clean job.

My grandparents still got thier 5-in-1, and it's hitting 20 years old. They got the last one that was made in the early 80's.

When you said reset the coil, you kept the same A-Coil and out door unit on this?

If you guys think this a big tank, you should of seen the Williamson Oil-Saver!

Oh yea, don't mention the Oilsaver. That WAS a tank! Probably full of soot too

These sealed 80s are just like 90% furnaces. All combustion air comes in through a PVC opening in the top. Normally we run a PVC pipe into the attic or outside but impossible here. To avoid someone setting something on the opening, we use the elbow. These furnaces are very quiet for 80s, metal box around the burners. We use them a lot in small rooms and run the PVC. Good selling point nobody but another Armstrong/Air-Ease dealer has.

williamson 5 n 1

What a trip down memory lane. I cant remember how many of those HUMONGUS things we had to get into the basements, usualy replacing an old octopus which had been converted to gas from oil, and before that, coal.

nice work loonie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast