+ Reply to Thread

Thread: reliance motor oil flows

Post Likes

reliance motor oil flows

Trane Types

I want to check the oil flow on the thrust drain on a 3 wheel Trane with a reliance motor. I pulled out CTV-SB-13B and the Flow rates listed are for Louis Allis motors. That bulletin was listed as a 1985 date code and this motor is a 1989 machine. Anyone have a bulletin with this vintage on min and max oil flows?

Thanks

R404a

Post Likes
    I bleive that the first year of the Reliance in the CVHE was 1987.
    I can't locate data on the flow rates.
    Have you tried calling the motor shop at Service First.
    Just courious, why do you want to check the flow on the ball bearings.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy View Post
    Just courious, why do you want to check the flow on the ball bearings.

and HOW would you? the oil flow on a running bearing would be different than a sitting bearing.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    and HOW would you? the oil flow on a running bearing would be different than a sitting bearing.
    He would have to have the motor running to check the flow.

I use to do that on every sidewinder and double ender that I rebuilt. Quite a pain in the ass.

Early on it was recommended on the CVHEs, you would have to cut the oil return lines to take the readings.

I would be much more interested in the flows off the babbit bearings as a rule.
    That is why I asked what had him interested in getting the reading from the ball brg.

I guess that you know there is a new bearing design to use in the non center feed castings.(cage design)

I still feel sure that the information can be obtained from motor shop at Service First.(on the flows)

I don't even both with the flows on the sidewinders and double enders anymore.

Post Likes
    I guess you would have to air run the chiller with to oil return line cut to collect and measure the oil, but why ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Doesn'tPhaseMe View Post
    I guess you would have to air run the chiller with to oil return line cut to collect and measure the oil, but why ?
    Exactly, this was used after overhauls, this would let you know if you collected X pints per min. that your bearing clearances where good. I've never done this, but I've known of guys who, at the time, liked it. I guess you could've done it as test too, if bearing issues were considered. I've never heard of this being updated.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Post Likes
    thanks for the replies. I have reason to suspect that the journal is infact worn and I have to pull the elbow to runout the 1st wheel. I am pretty sure I have mechanical rubbing in the chiller and noticed what LOOKED like excessive oil flow on the thrust. I have to pull the gas anyway, so I would like to flow check the bearing.trigger, when you say service first, are you refering to charlotte anbd if so, I wonder if contractors can call them?

r404a

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by r404a View Post
    thanks for the replies. I have reason to suspect that the journal is infact worn and I have to pull the elbow to runout the 1st wheel. I am pretty sure I have mechanical rubbing in the chiller and noticed what LOOKED like excessive oil flow on the thrust. I have to pull the gas anyway, so I would like to flow check the bearing.trigger, when you say service first, are you refering to charlotte anbd if so, I wonder if contractors can call them?

r404a
    I beleive that contractors should be able to call and get technical information from them.(I can not swear to that but I guess it depends on you powers of persuasion to some extent as to how fast you get the information)

In the case that you described may I suggest putting the vibration gear on the chiller and doing a vibration analysis. That should tell you everthing you need to know about both bearings, without pulling the gas.

Also oil analysis to check for babbit wear. If you have had oil loss you may have big chuncks that you can see in filter but Chem. Lab will not recognize as they are looking for ppm.

As for the oil flow on the thrust; This is where you are confusing me as the trust bearing in a CVHE\CVHF is in fact the ball brg. and the oil flow is set by the orifice and not the clearance on the brg. like the sleeve brg.

Post Likes
    R404a- If you check the runout of the 1st impeller all that will tell you is if the shaft is bent or the surface you are checking is out of round. If the journal bearing is bad allowing the shaft to drop but your shaft is still true I would expect to still get a good runout.

I agree with Triggerhappy on everything, vibration and oil analysis, that can give you very conclusive results, without digging into the chiller first. Also oil flow is metered by an orifice to the thrust bearings so unless its clogged there is no sense is worrying about it.

If the thrust bearings start to wear they will allow movement of the shaft on the compressor side as the shaft will act like a seesaw with the journal bearing your center point. Vibration analysis will pick this up too.

Also not sure if non Trane personal can call tech service anymore. They did change all their phone numbers a couple years ago.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Doesn'tPhaseMe View Post
    R404a- If you check the runout of the 1st impeller all that will tell you is if the shaft is bent or the surface you are checking is out of round. If the journal bearing is bad allowing the shaft to drop but your shaft is still true I would expect to still get a good runout.

I agree with Triggerhappy on everything, vibration and oil analysis, that can give you very conclusive results, without digging into the chiller first. Also oil flow is metered by an orifice to the thrust bearings so unless its clogged there is no sense is worrying about it.

If the thrust bearings start to wear they will allow movement of the shaft on the compressor side as the shaft will act like a seesaw with the journal bearing your center point. Vibration analysis will pick this up too.

Also not sure if non Trane personal can call tech service anymore. They did change all their phone numbers a couple years ago.

I agree with Trigger and DoesntPhaseme, Get your oil sample sent out first that will tell you all you need to know about your journal bearing wear,I know not everybody has access or the training on vibration analysis equipment , but if you are going to work on these machines man does it make your life easy. We take vib readings on all our machines annually and that info goes into a database to track how these machines are running. Really a great tool.

Post Likes
    appreciate the inputs from all

r404a

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in