Hybrid View

reliance motor oil flows

Trane Types

I want to check the oil flow on the thrust drain on a 3 wheel Trane with a reliance motor. I pulled out CTV-SB-13B and the Flow rates listed are for Louis Allis motors. That bulletin was listed as a 1985 date code and this motor is a 1989 machine. Anyone have a bulletin with this vintage on min and max oil flows?

Thanks

R404a

I bleive that the first year of the Reliance in the CVHE was 1987.
    I can't locate data on the flow rates.
    Have you tried calling the motor shop at Service First.
    Just courious, why do you want to check the flow on the ball bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy View Post
    Just courious, why do you want to check the flow on the ball bearings.

and HOW would you? the oil flow on a running bearing would be different than a sitting bearing.
    It's tube brushing season...93% done (39.35 miles of tubing)...only 1,242 tubes to go!

Original member of the Raccoon Brotherhood.

EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    and HOW would you? the oil flow on a running bearing would be different than a sitting bearing.
    He would have to have the motor running to check the flow.

I use to do that on every sidewinder and double ender that I rebuilt. Quite a pain in the ass.

Early on it was recommended on the CVHEs, you would have to cut the oil return lines to take the readings.

I would be much more interested in the flows off the babbit bearings as a rule.
    That is why I asked what had him interested in getting the reading from the ball brg.

I guess that you know there is a new bearing design to use in the non center feed castings.(cage design)

I still feel sure that the information can be obtained from motor shop at Service First.(on the flows)

I don't even both with the flows on the sidewinders and double enders anymore.

I guess you would have to air run the chiller with to oil return line cut to collect and measure the oil, but why ?

Quote Originally Posted by Doesn'tPhaseMe View Post
    I guess you would have to air run the chiller with to oil return line cut to collect and measure the oil, but why ?
    Exactly, this was used after overhauls, this would let you know if you collected X pints per min. that your bearing clearances where good. I've never done this, but I've known of guys who, at the time, liked it. I guess you could've done it as test too, if bearing issues were considered. I've never heard of this being updated.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis.