Preheating the flue liner to get draft?

Preheating the flue liner to get draft?

I was talking to a guy recently and he said when he burns wood he has to preheat his flue liner till it starts to draft or his house fills with smoke. He lives out in the country. I'm no chimney expert, but shouldn't draft cold as long as it sits high enough in relation to the roof? He says his brother has the same problem and he lives in town. I don't think the chimneys were built by the same person either. Is this ever normal? what IS normal?
    "Delay is preferable to error"- Thomas Jefferson

Probably green wood, or a clogged chimney cap. Never hurts to hold a newspaper up the flue to get it going, but if you need more than one there is probably a problem.

Sometimes I have to crack open a nearby window to get a draft going, especially if it is very cold outside. That cold air residing in the chimney is heavy and fights the initial draft of warm air up the chimney.

Exclamation search this site

If you search this forum, you'll get more advice on how to burn relatively smoke free.

If your chimney is gunked up with creosote, the torch trick can ignite a chimney fire so inspect often and sweep as needed.

There's a lot more to draft and flow than chimney height in relation to the roof.

Hearthman

Draft

Quote"There's a lot more to draft and flow than chimney height in relation to the roof." Unquote

I do understand that there is more to draft than that, I was just generalizing.

I remember reading years ago in an oil burner book about draft and that as the air moves horizontally over the chimney cap it's supposed to create a suction or something like that.

I will read over this forum to get more info.

Thanks
    "Delay is preferable to error"- Thomas Jefferson

I have never heard of pre-heating a chimney liner, but I guess if it did get cold enough outside you might.

With home being built so air tight these days, draft problems are more common than you think. I know a lot of people who have to "pre-heat" their liner. If it still smokes into the house after a hot fire gets going, then I would look into chimney height issues.

A good ol' chimney cleaning will help draft, especially if there is a large amount of creosote buildup.