York & Coleman - Are these the same?

We are interested in a good 2 stage heat pump. York has the Affinity 5T and Coleman has the Echelon 5T. Is one of these better than the other?

Just cosmetic differences. Research the dealer carefully.

I looked on the Coleman Website and the contractor that gave me a quote is listed as an authorized Coleman Dealer.

They are identical other than the tag.

Thanks for the input. Are these a high-end, reliable brand? My neighbor has a York that is at least 25 years old and it is still going strong.

They are all pretty good units if you have someone take the time to install it right.
    Bad information is worse than no information at all.

There are three kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't!

Quote Originally Posted by surenuff View Post
    They are all pretty good units if you have someone take the time to install it right.
    This stands true across the board. The installation is what makes or breaks the job.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Quote Originally Posted by surenuff View Post
    Interesting. Having some issues with my Affinity install. No pro, but there are a lot of options across the DFHP config. Care to elaborate on what's "right" or maybe what's "wrong"?

Read another post I can't find that said a good unit but you better take the install course and take good notes. There sounds like some wisdom here.

jerryd_2008 did you get the issues with your Affinity system & the DFHP config worked out? Are you satisified with your Affinity system?

Quote Originally Posted by dcraighead View Post
    jerryd_2008 did you get the issues with your Affinity system & the DFHP config worked out?
    Not yet. My contractor is working with the distributor to diagnose. He's coming out to gather more info on Monday from the 2nd contact with the distributor/York. Don't know if only large distributors must work this way since my contractor said that many distributors have no tech support, but my very experienced contractor (installed a whole 3-4 floors of HP's at an extended stay motel before my job) cannot talk directly with York. Maybe this one of the oldest York dealers in the state gets a better margin to field questions first, but with my technical background I certainly find it inefficient.

Quote Originally Posted by dcraighead View Post
    Are you satisified with your Affinity system?
    The system did an excellent job on cooling and heats just as well on either HP or furnace, just can't get the HP to switch to the furnace except for defrost. The comfort is great with the system keeping temp exactly on the tstat setting.

Unfortunately, my system was missing an operations manual when it came - didn't even know there was one until my contractor brought one in from a 15 SEER Affinity install. We got an install manual in real-time from the distributor so we got it in. This missing Affinity YZH operations manual which includes more of the theory of operations contradicts some of the advise I have received here on balance point and low temp cut off operations. So there was a bit of confusion on all sides until we homed in on the exact operations described in the manual for HP operations between BP and LTCO and then below LTCO.

Of course, all of this is magnified by a retired guy with lots of time and a HVAC non-Wannabe being the customer. One last point to convince the wife, the York Affinity DFHP is a very attractive unit.

i have sold a bunch of these systems, and have had very good results. as stated though, you really need to take the time to set them up correctly. the paperwork isnt perfect, so that makes it harder for most techs. techs dont like to read, its a fact. set up is the most important part for the system to work as desired. i ama curious why your contractor cant call tech support? we ran into an issue where the vendor was supposed to have their own guy take service calls first, and then pass them on to the factory. this particular guy was basically useless, and all he wanted to do was reminisce about the old days, and clearly didnt know the new product lines. i went to one of his training sessions with one of my men, and left due to his pompousness. after that, i would only agree to sell the product if the just gave me the tech books, and we skipped training.

The downside is that no one can get tech support directly from York/Coleman/ect. You have to go through your distributer to get to them, Trane and American Standard did the same thing, no one can call them directly for tech support anymore. The trouble I have is the distributers FSR are horrible in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    i have sold a bunch of these systems, and have had very good results. as stated though, you really need to take the time to set them up correctly. the paperwork isnt perfect, so that makes it harder for most techs. techs dont like to read, its a fact. set up is the most important part for the system to work as desired.
    That's good to hear. And my experience has been pretty good also. Both my contractor and I have read and reread the doc once we actually got the right version. Now it's a matter of explaining why the HP fails to swap to the furnace at LTCO as documented.

Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    i ama curious why your contractor cant call tech support? we ran into an issue where the vendor was supposed to have their own guy take service calls first, and then pass them on to the factory. this particular guy was basically useless, and all he wanted to do was reminisce about the old days, and clearly didnt know the new product lines. i went to one of his training sessions with one of my men, and left due to his pompousness. after that, i would only agree to sell the product if the just gave me the tech books, and we skipped training.
    My contractor can call support but like many support desks it appears to be only 1st level with people who read the same manuals as you. He doesn't need the simple answers, he knows those better than the phone support. Not positive since I haven't been in on the conversations, but I think that he needs 2nd and maybe even as high as the engineers to discuss the matter. He has not been able to accomplish that so far and that has been frustrating for both of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Anderson Air View Post
    The downside is that no one can get tech support directly from York/Coleman/ect. You have to go through your distributer to get to them, Trane and American Standard did the same thing, no one can call them directly for tech support anymore. The trouble I have is the distributers FSR are horrible in my area.
    Thank you for the insight on other brands. This sounds like a "save money" move for the manufacturers. For anybody who has had a PC or PC app issue and got that friendly person with an American name in India, we know what that approach is worth, right?