Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Would you care to comment on what made a huge difference for you to come and stay in this industry?

Was it a boss who took you under their wing when you were fresh out of trade school? Or was it a service manager who spent time Mentoring you until you got on your feet?

Did an old fart, (retired fart) Mentor you for awhile ... did that make all the difference?

Was it growing up inthebusiness?

The free tools my dad gave me Some are old but still free.
    Not what it use to be

It was the mentors. My hats off to Teddy, Fritz and John.
    I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

Mentor's

Don-Gordon Paschall-1975 Ductwork,design and construction.
    Tom-Tommie Long 1981-1986 Service and design.
    Dexter Davidson-Sales and Work Ethics.
    Mike Bell-Service and Repair-Diagnosics.

Raymond Shade- The Best Salesman of HVAC I have ever seen.

My Wife[Breezy] for being there through the lean times.

It was the excellent schools I attended and the absolutely excellent instructors I had. And, they were very exceptional. I have not met instructors who even come close to those I had 30 years ago. I have tried to pattern myself after them ever since. Still trying to this very day.

Norm

ever since i was a kid i was a tinkerer, after high school didnt really wany to go to college, even though i had excellent grades, along with a pretty high sat. there were academic scholarships available to methrough some well known organizations. so one day, the father of a good friend asked me what i was going to do with the rest of my life. my answer was i dont know. he suggested i go down to the local and join the apprenticeship. there were fourteen hundred apps that year yet somehow i got in the first try. no relatives, no mentors the fellow who sent me was an electrician, but thought i was better suited for this. once i got involved i realized it was home for me, the money was nice, BUT I ACTUALLY ENJOYED GOING TO WORK. almost twenty years later i still do. i dont care for the state of it sometimes, that is always getting beat up on price, but you learn how to deal with that. my hands hurt sometimes, my back and knees hurt sometimes, but i find that usually occurs when im not working hard enough, and oh yeah i still like going to work, especially if i am mentally challenged.

Wink

Originally posted by flange
    ever since i was a kid i was a tinkerer, after high school didnt really wany to go to college, even though i had excellent grades, along with a pretty high sat. there were academic scholarships available to methrough some well known organizations. so one day, the father of a good friend asked me what i was going to do with the rest of my life. my answer was i dont know. he suggested i go down to the local and join the apprenticeship. there were fourteen hundred apps that year yet somehow i got in the first try. no relatives, no mentors the fellow who sent me was an electrician, but thought i was better suited for this. once i got involved i realized it was home for me, the money was nice, BUT I ACTUALLY ENJOYED GOING TO WORK. almost twenty years later i still do. i dont care for the state of it sometimes, that is always getting beat up on price, but you learn how to deal with that. my hands hurt sometimes, my back and knees hurt sometimes, but i find that usually occurs when im not working hard enough, and oh yeah i still like going to work, especially if i am mentally challenged.
    So flange, you are saying that you are "mentally challenged"?

What brought me here was watching older guys figure things out as I would watch in curiousity from a distance .....wanting to be like them someday...
    Then wa-la I started training and going to schools and trades seminars then I got my break as a helper in a residential HVAC company, I was hard working and eager to learn, THE best incentive and HELP was the older expeirenced guys being so patient with me...explaining things over and over if needed and me complaining that I just wasnt getting it... then One older guy who has since passed told me one day you will wake up and it will be like a light bulb coming on and suddenly it will all start to make sense...well that was 20 some years ago and he was right and in closing all I can say is the wattage just keeps getting brighter year after year, and as a service manager now days I try to give all that and more back to the younger guys.... I love my trade and I love doing it everyday of my life...... thanks to all who ever helped me or answerd a tough question... I'll try to be as giving as they are and were.

divorced first wife.

In the 10th grade the HVAC Vo Tech teacher talked me into comming into his class to keep me out of trouble. Recieved a schollarship to trade school for 3 years of excellence in VoTech. I don't know where I would be if it wasn't for that VoTech class. I would probobally be locked up or dead !!

Originally posted by R12rules
    Would you care to comment on what made a huge difference for you to come and stay in this industry?
    money

Was it a boss who took you under their wing when you were fresh out ....

Yep, I learned by him saying "go fix that"

Did an old fart, (retired fart) Mentor you for awhile ... did that make all the difference?

Nope

Was it growing up inthebusiness?

nope

Originally posted by flange
    oh yeah i still like going to work, especially if i am mentally challenged.
    Well then ... you gotta try working alongside Dice for a few days. That would certainly be a mentally challenging experience for you.

erector sets,block city,lincoln logs putting bikes together in the basement of my apartment from past generation that had left them and moved on,my mother always made me and my brother plug and unplug things...biggest item was 10 years with mom and pops and then 10 years with TRANE,manuals training,and the building boom of the mid-80s
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast