71 65.74%
  • Full beard

9 8.33%
  • Long hair and tatoos

4 3.70%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: FACIAL HAIR

Cool FACIAL HAIR

I went on a job interview today and was told the they want their techs to not have facial hair. They said that it is unprofessional and it loses sales. I have a goatee that is trimmed very close and clean. I am very clean cut with short hair and no tattoos. I would like to know how all our residential members feel about facial hair or anything else about appearance on someone who is working on your home. All input welcome.
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty hvac View Post
    I went on a job interview today and was told the they want their techs to not have facial hair. They said that it is unprofessional and it loses sales. I have a goatee that is trimmed very close and clean. I am very clean cut with short hair and no tattoos. I would like to know how all our residential members feel about facial hair or anything else about appearance on someone who is working on your home. All input welcome.
    A neatly trimmed goatee shouldn't be a problem.

Now, if you had long, greasy hair and piercings in your nose then that would be another story.

Who'd you apply with? The NY Yankees?

Cool

A good company in the Buffalo area. Job sounds great. Just wanted to see what the customer base thought about it.

Will you drink the kool-aid?

I'd let that be a warning sign that this "good" company is about to go bad. Who made this rule? What's the next rule going to be? A person with a good clean appearance should be all that's needed.

As a customer, it wouldn't bother me at all. I care more about competency than facial hair. Of course, I have a mustache, not that it matters.

As a guy with a full beard and customer, no issues as long as you look clean and professional. I ve been up in a few attics and played in crawl spaces. It's hard to be Mr. Clean if you work in a trade.

Like the others, I care more about what you know and how dependable you are. That being said, if you show up in an old beat up truck with bald tires and a years worth of Burger King wrappers on the dashboard I might pick someone else.

If the big scheme of things, sounds like the company cares about it's image.
    Thats a good thing. If you want to work for them you have to go with thier flow. If they are good to work for, I would go for it.

A company should have an appearance code and if you wish to work there you will have to comply. I think that a well trimmed beard or mustache is fine, I personally do not like goatees they look incomplete.

The thing is it is hard to write a subjective policy that allows facial hair if it is maintained because what my look good and clean on one person may look terrible on another. An employer that allows say a moustache or beard if it is well trimmed and maintained will eventually have to make a call that will be disputed.

I personally grow a great beard and moustache, in fact I had a handlebar that would pull behind my ears (9 inches on each side) but not everyone can pull it off. So can a boss say you can have a moustache but you cannot because the first one has a full moustache and the next guy has a thin skimpy moustache that look terrible?

It is better to have a policy that eliminates that confrontation.

Tips that is a ridiculous statement sounds like this is company that is well run and has its priorities correct.

I do residential service and I have facial hair. Currently I have trimmed beard. I usually grow it in late October and shave it in March/April, then I have a trimmed goatee. There have been guys at our company that have had ponytails, but they are no longer working here.(for other reasons, not the hair) I personally think that first appearances are very important. I think you should keep a clean van, wear clean clothes and be neat in your appearance. People can stereotype by how your appearance is or the condition of your van/truck, how organized you are. I personally don't see anything wrong with having facial hair when it's trimmed and well kept. Did you ask this company how long they've had this policy?(just curious) I think to be a professional, you need to look professional, but facial hair doesn't make you look unprofessional, unless you play for the yankees.

Possibly opens you up to lawsuits based on religious beliefs. All it takes is one incompetent bearded applicant turned away on a job ap, and then you find out later his religion requires him to have a beard after the lawsuit is filed.
    Bring this up to your company and maybe they will work with you on your goatee as it would look good in such a lawsuit to have somebody with facial hair already working for them to prove they didn't discriminate.

Seems rather simple to me.
    If ya want to work there, snip, snip. I know for a fact, it grows back.

Quote Originally Posted by tipsrfine View Post
    Possibly opens you up to lawsuits based on religious beliefs. All it takes is one incompetent bearded applicant turned away on a job ap, and then you find out later his religion requires him to have a beard after the lawsuit is filed.
    Bring this up to your company and maybe they will work with you on your goatee as it would look good in such a lawsuit to have somebody with facial hair already working for them to prove they didn't discriminate.

Cool

Any comments from customers?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast