Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    So what are some other guys thoughts about any of this? I am very interested so far in whats been said about the TOPIC.

IS it crazy to even ask this question?

Where are the best?

In the end, I want to be around those guys !!

I'm pretty sure.......

you could make more money and live in a warmer climate if ya moved to the Dallas/Ft Worth area. Start doin some checkin in around this area. But maybe ya like the cold? Obviously, yer in the refrig. biz

More power to ya Brother

Talking

The south.......

What a mess.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Originally posted by Diceman
    The south.......

What a mess.
    Once Dow goes..........

It will be.. Remember his furnace he fixed
    Not what it use to be

Talking Dow's furnace.....

Yeah, only took him a week to get a new hsi for it, of course it was barely 17 degrees out, not that cold for his wife and kids, they complain about the smallest things.
    Once his fridge quit and that just took 3 months to get running, hey, he was busy writing "war & peace" novels in here, give him a break.

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Talking Moving

Moved from Albany, N.Y. area 30 years ago to Atlanta, Ga. Inever missed any work because of weather. Best move I ever made.

Dow, we have more than our fair share of hacks in Florida. At times it seems like everyone and their brother bought a van and became a contractor. That combined with the fact Florida is a right to work state does not bode well for wages.

The average A/C hourly charge is about seventy dollars per hour, markets sixty, to sixty-five an hour. The company I work for (a union company) eighty percent of our work is commercial work, and we charge ninety-five per hour. And we are the largest in the state.

Markets are a tough nut to crack down here, one market does 90% in house service. The one other major market has its contractors under service contract, to get in there is hard.

To find a good refer guy is not easy down here. This makes the well-trained experienced mechanic stand out in the crowd. Even down here, big dogs make big money, but only if you refuse to work for less.

Gage readers get ten to fifteen per hour, average guy that can change a compressor sixteen to twenty. Good diagnostic mechanic will easily get twenty to twenty four dollars an hour. Big dogs earning potential is unlimited, but you have to be able to guide the gage readers.

I have seen lots of fly by niters come and go. When it comes down to it though, a Quality mechanic or company down here will do well. Just like up there. Quality sells wherever you are.

The best of the best are in the markets, or in the union. This of course is the general rule, and there are exceptions.

A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Noooo!!! Ya'll don't wanna' even think of movin' down heah'...

What with the Clan meetings every Wed, The must talked about "Cow-Tipping" that goes on nitely, it's just way too hectic a schedule to ask of Ya'll fuzzy faced foreiners'....

Why here in Atlanta we have to push a "Borrowed" Wal-Mart shopping buggy to the jobs, and its always uphill....both ways..

The first & second year apprentices must use a Homer bucket from Home Depot for their stuff until they have their 3 years in.

All company uniforms are "Jack Daniels" Tee-Shirts with each company name embroidered on the sleeves..

All hats worn by HVAC technicians are required to be any one of the NASCAR drivers, as long as it's not that Jeff Gordon guy...He's kinda' ....different you know..

Red-Man chewing tabakky is the only brand allowed...None of that Skoal Bandit stuff fer' us..

Our Breakfast is always Grits,,,sometimes we get aigs with them...sometimes..

Our chargin' manifolds always have only Black hoses on them, cause if one of them colored ones gets swapped and put in the wrong position, our ":Suthern" pride demands we throw it away and buy another rather than go back to the parts house and have them re-set our hoses...They charge up to $15. now to reset our hoses...What a rip-off.

We order our freezeone by its color, Green is the preferred, but now they got Mauve, Brown, Purple etc..

So iff Ya'll happen to be color blind, you'll mess up somthing fer' sure.

The last time I was at our Local there was 34,112 Service Mechanics(BTJ) on the Call out sheet..

[Edited by RichardL on 06-21-2004 at 08:04 PM]
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

You forgot the tell the reason those 34,112 were on the bench.

They all had to have their hoses reset twice.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Uhhh.... that was certainly .... uh ... "entertaining" ... (I guess.)

I'm from The South.
    Born and raised in Sunny Southern California!
    Now that I live in Texas, I'm a bit farther east of The South where I was raised in.

My South had pick up trucks. This South has them in every lane of every road and in every parking lot EVERYWHERE!!!
    And many of em are those "jacked up" models sothe girlfriend has to have "assistance" from her bow.

And some of them trucks have funny paterened mud stains running along the sides of the trucks... not like the mud stains we used to get on our trucks in California!
    These run, (dribble?) downward from jus behind the driver's side door ... back towards to rear fenders.... hmmmmm... kinds funny lookin if ya asked me.

Like I said

The south....

what a mess.

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Yankees, we love you right where you are, but if you got to come down, please go to Georgia.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123