All this talk about moving - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Actually Spidy, I have been wanting to bring on another tech, how are you on heat pumps? We have been debating on a senior tech or a junior tech, I am kind of tired of guys coming in with quote "20 years experience" and they don't know anything but parts changing and the basics. Had one argue that duct sizing had nothing to do with service. The last one wrecked the back end of my brand new van and never said anything. He went to work for the competition, so I figure we'll definetly need another tech now. He ran about 60% callback ratio. You can call me if you want, 843-770-0273 ask for Mike.

Can anyone speak to the landscape of commercial refrigeration in the southern states. Coatsal GA, Florida? Grocery work? Smaller Cold Storage? Any good to be got down that way? Whats heavy HVAC like down that way? Building Automation, ie Johnson Controls ect? I am just very curious. What anyone with my experinece would balk at is, at least here, the pay seems to be okay. Then I always hear that DOWN THERE it is so much lower. That scares anyone.

So then, I look at, is it even possible to move, start a business right off? What's the rates these stores are being charged? Average? The starting of a new commercial refrigeration service company anywhere does not scare me at all. I'll just move the business. I understand it's easier said than done. But it's just some thoughts is all at this point.

This may be biased, but I spoke to a guy about two years ago who moved to Florida for 5 years then came back. Now this guy, he's the guy any one would want. Very sharp. But he said that down there, his colleagues, compared to his coworkers here in MI. The southerners could not come close to holding a candle next to any of his coworkers he works with here. He claims that there is a huge gap in knowledege. He said that there, the education of techs is very poor, he said that the importance of the trade is less respectable as well. All based on these philosophy's he decided to move back. He said he was not being fullfilled. He cried he said because he had to leave the weather behind however. I want to know objectively, is there any truth in what he says??

Originally posted by Dowadudda
    Can anyone speak to the landscape of commercial refrigeration in the southern states. Coatsal GA, Florida? Grocery work? Smaller Cold Storage? Any good to be got down that way? Whats heavy HVAC like down that way? Building Automation, ie Johnson Controls ect? I am just very curious. What anyone with my experinece would balk at is, at least here, the pay seems to be okay. Then I always hear that DOWN THERE it is so much lower. That scares anyone.

So then, I look at, is it even possible to move, start a business right off? What's the rates these stores are being charged? Average? The starting of a new commercial refrigeration service company anywhere does not scare me at all. I'll just move the business. I understand it's easier said than done. But it's just some thoughts is all at this point.

This may be biased, but I spoke to a guy about two years ago who moved to Florida for 5 years then came back. Now this guy, he's the guy any one would want. Very sharp. But he said that down there, his colleagues, compared to his coworkers here in MI. The southerners could not come close to holding a candle next to any of his coworkers he works with here. He claims that there is a huge gap in knowledege. He said that there, the education of techs is very poor, he said that the importance of the trade is less respectable as well. All based on these philosophy's he decided to move back. He said he was not being fullfilled. He cried he said because he had to leave the weather behind however. I want to know objectively, is there any truth in what he says??
    Sorry to say it but quite a bit of truth to what he says.
    The job market down here (SW Florida) is in need of so many techs that employers pretty much hire anyone who knows on how to read a set of guages. In my area there is not any tech schools, so you get guys who worked on construction and seen someone do it and they became techs (so they say). We also get the guys from up north that pretty much got ran out of the business that come down here to work. The pay is terrible here and everyone undercuts everyone else. As far as the commercial side of the business, it is about the same as the residential.
    Come on down here and straighten this stuff out for us Dow would ya!
    Shane

Dow we have talked about this, A person with your knowledge and experience can do well. The cost of living reflects the pay scales, along with the competition. On residential we have a huge split, your larger companies are trying to get prices and pay up, while the little guys try to cut all the prices with their goodman equipment. eventually people get tired of getting garbage work and step up, however, there are a bunch of people that still go cheap and end up getting what they pay for.

Dow does large refrig and commercial, not new resi installs. Where he lives there is a huge market for it. Not sure if you have enough of that down there or if he could get connected enough to stay busy.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

I know what he does Dice, There is Savannah and Charleston, and all the surrounding areas, the supermarkets are all seviced by companies out of Charleston or Savannah. I used to do commercial and industrial, I just prefer resid.

@Dow
    He claims that there is a huge gap in knowledege. He said that there, the education of techs is very poor, he said that the importance of the trade is less respectable as well.
    THIS REPLY IS IN NO WAY INTENDED TO BAD-RAP INDIVIDUALS, BUT RATHER A STATEWIDE INDUSTRY

This is absolutely the way it goes in Florida. There is not any training to speak of (not what I consider training anyways, just baby-sitting vo-techs high schools). There is almost an animosity towards skilled trades here coming from the contractors(who provide not one dime towards training their workforce, yet expect workers to magicaly appear at jobtime). Wages are as low as they can keep them and still have workers. Established industry standards are frowned upon here, and no one (there are a few good mechanics here though) really cares about high quality work (maybe the whole national industry is moving in that direction though).
    In another thread here recently, I had a chuckle when I saw a rusty old cap "duct-taped" inside a brand new warrantied CU. Par for the course here.
    A bridge-building company here, in the last 3 years, had to blow-up 1 newly built bridge, and now its almost completed replacement is found to have hundreds of cracks in its support columns. Another bridge they are building in Clearwater, sank and partially collapsed,just yesterday, and will have to be blown up and rebuilt also.
    And this is also the home and celebrated birthplace of what I call the "flex carnivals" (residential installs). I would like to take Dash (no offence Dash, just the facts) up to Illinois and show him what a real residential installation looks like. Flex installs are garbage and are installed here by non-skilled workers.
    I could go on but I think you have my point.

And for the flamers who would say "go home if you dont like it here"...Florida is now my home and I will try my best to make you better.

It just seems to me that all the companies that are rapidly expanding right now seem to be doing loads of new construction in areas where the population seems to be increasing at an alarming rate. If the commercial service and etc is also increasing there I just haven't seen or heard about it. I know how hard it is to get started in those fields and how long it takes to get good connections, that's all.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

anyone now the general hvac situation in the carolinas particulaly in the charlotte area. hoping to move somewhere in that area but not if it is anything like florida.

HEY 45!

What do I know about heatpumps?Well When I see a broken HP around here the first thing I ask my customer is:did you know you have a heat pump?There answer is..Whats a heat pump?!Then I say do want a your HP to work and use 3 maybe 4 times a year?they say no!So I take all the extra stuff out and Make it cooling only...LOL.. just thought I would tell that little story..

Truthfully My knowledge on hp is all theory and no practice you just dont see them here,except on schools and mobile trailers on job sites(bards etc.)But never had a SS problem on any of those it was always electrical probs.

So i know I have a disadvantage there,However I pick things up fast and am a fast learner, so I dont expect it to a big issue but a small challenge and I kinda like the sound of that!Also I think going down in the summer will help me to get familerized with the units, controls and operation before HP season hits!sounds kinda fun!I am never happy just getting by when it comes to knowledge in this field I strive to be the best I can be.Theres a first time for everything and when I encounter a challenge or equipment I am unfamiliar with I slow down ask question's understand the system and then repair it properly.

45 if still interested, If things go right I should be in the greenville area within the next month or so and would love to give ya call and maybe even shoot down to the coast with the wife for weekend and have lunch with ya or something?

Dice, Residential here is growing like crazy, but the commercial is following, but what the guys are saying about techs in the south is true, they lack a lot of professionalism, I have traveled the country over the years. The only native working for us is my secretary. That is one reason we keep growing, we do it the right way.

Spidy, to be honest with you I am going to need someone real soon, we are already in the 80's, in 4 to 6 weeks we will be in the 90"s and to late. But, I would still like to meet you and buy you some beer or whatever.

I understand and a beer sounds good!The time table for my move all depends on me selling my home,so it may happen sooner but ya never know with these things....I am trying to rush this process for that very reason, nows the time to be down there!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast