Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All this talk about moving to here or there lately has kicked up here. I wonder if it has anything to do with the slow and buzy seasons of our industry?

But. I often day dream, when the weather sucks outside, and wonder what it would be like to have sunnier days. Any guys move ever from the north to the south and live to tell your tale. I envy you all. Snow tonight here in metro Detroit. I am getting sick of it.

70 degrees today in this Canadian city. Snow in the forecast for later in the week..........go figure
    Watts New, Ohm My, I been Electrically Commutated. Are U2.

metro detroit too. know what you mean.

Moved from Buffalo,N.Y. area to Florida space coast area 22 years ago.
    No regrets. 83 degrees here today.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

I not only think of it,but plan on moving down to SC in a month or so(hopefully).However what a huge move for me a wife and 3 kids.Not mention all our stuff!

Just from the local paper in Greenville, S.C. there were over 37 listings for HVAC and related work!Been in the biz here in SE MI for over 7 years and never seen that.Altough it has never been as bad as it has been lately.Seems if your not doing New construction for next to nothing your just scraping by.The market seems flooded with Tech school grads and people that will work for next to nothing.I however dont demand TOP DOLLAR,I wont work for peanuts either.Went to about 6 local buisness the other day,they all said "were not hiring now"but you can drop of your resume.I did and then instantly peeked there intrest and got an Interview right there.(I come in with my resume a copy of my certifactions and Driving record for them on the spot)From every one I heard,"we expect it to pick up after the holiday" which it will abit,but then 5 months down the road instead of 2 techs barly working, they got 3 hardly working.Alot of 1 man shows lately too.

I am however starting to get a bit nervous about this"southerners dont like to hire northerners stuff"
    They say because of Civil War????wierd.Or because we are too fast paced, or we go back north and dont stay.I really dont know, maybe people just trying to get me to stay here,i dont know.

I didnt fight in the civil war dont blame me because of where I was born!

If I am gonna move the family down there,I plan on staying.
    or as an employer make it so nice I would'nt want to go back?

I have some familiy there so its not like I would be missing them,I would be closer to my mommie in SC(shudup )

P.S. It was 70+ there today!

[Edited by Spidy on 04-12-2004 at 10:04 PM]

Put it this way, how many contractors think about moving up north for the weather? I can not think of one I have ever met. Not unless it is to move back home.

Talking

I like to go south for a nice visit but right now I like it here for a great majority of the time, only a few months after the holidays is when it gets old.
    But on the upside, no wild fires, earthquakes, mud slides, hurricanes, tornadoes, glaciers, floods or monsoons or foreign speaking multitudes to really worry about.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Temp was 80 yesterday, cold front coming thru today, I think it will only be about 74 today. Greenville SC is almost like being up north, it gets cold there, I will stick with the coast, the civil war stuff is just a joke, what people down here get tired of is when someone that knows it all (in his own mind) walks in and starts telling everybody how they are doing it wrong, we do it like this up north. That is what we get tired of hearing.

Talking

Oops, I better stay here then.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

I was pushing 50 yrs old and spent a miserable night on a roof in Wyoming in 18 below weather, steep pitched icy roof and said this is it, too old for this anymore. My first summer in Tx was the second hottest in the last 20 years. 112 to 115 days, thought I was gonna die. Feast or famine, sweat or shiver. What I'll probably wind up doing when I retire is build a cabin on my 7 1/2 acres in the Black Hills, Summer there and Winter here. Was teased about being a yankee, but never encountered any hostility or discrimination. (except on HVAC Talk where I see lots of Texas bashing)

[Edited by ozone drone on 04-13-2004 at 02:44 PM]
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

backs are almost packed, ready to go. one job in local paper, maybe 2 pages total of jobs. looked at charlotte maybe 2-3 times the size, about 15 hvac jobs, not including the ones for appt maint with hvac exp. total help wanted section about 12 pages, a little something for everyone. the warmer weather has me sold. I hope i have seen my last snowy winter.

i grew up in chicago and pittsburgh, have been in atlanta and in hvac since '83 when i got out of the marines. i love it here, no real snow, harsh weather, does get hot though, in the $ummer. locals still say "you are not from around here are you?". the key is listening more than speaking, you will learn more about their problem, and southerners LOVE to talk!!
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King! semper fi

Ok 45!you talked me into going to the coast,clean out the spare room and when do I start!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast