Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    21

    Residential vs Commercial

    I am just starting school and trying to figure out exactly where I want it to take me. I do not have much knowledge about the different types of work you can do so I'm not sure where to start. Assuming were talking about a tech (assuming it matters) what are the pros and cons of doing commercial or residential work? What do the jobs look like? Is an associates really going to help with either? Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,228
    Commercial is very wide verity of work..one call working on a simple split system..second call working on a chiller powered by a 454 Chevy. Downside - U will be on a roof of a building come wind, snow, wind, rain, sub-zero and 130 deg black roofs did i mention wind?. Only time i do not go up is when lightning is close. cant be afraid if heights...replace a blower wheel wile on a 12' ladder. its the challenge i love and the wide variety of work (9 yr service tech)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    21
    Thanks for the information yellow. Variety is huge. Do you have work set up or are you more on call? How many hours a week do you usually put in?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,228
    work is set up during normal working hours 7-4..every few weeks on call for after hours (residential is the same way) fall and spring are the slow times. Im home today..but come summer i will be working 12+ hr days. Most HVAC works this way. Because i do only businesses the only late night call i would get is from a server room..i don't deal with billing or collecting money, the office does all that.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Stumptown,USA
    Posts
    1,253
    Stop by the Portland Johnstone store 10th & Ash. Ask about Rses Meetings, they are free. First thursday of every month. You will meet Guys that work Facilities, Boiler techs, Residential techs, Refrigeration Rack Rats, come check it out. There is a display at the back counter (by the coffee) with brochures, take some. Also go to rses.org lots of training opportunities. send me a private message if you have any questions.
    Last edited by Paul Bee; 02-26-2010 at 09:52 AM.
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bee View Post
    Stop by the Portland Johnstone store 10th & Ash. Ask about Rses Meetings, they are free. First thursday of every month. You will meet Guys that work Facilities, Boiler techs, Residential techs, Refrigeration Rack Rats, come check it out. There is a display at the back counter (by the coffee) with brochures, take some. Also go to rses.org lots of training opportunities. send me a private message if you have any questions.
    Thats sounds like a great idea. I have been wanting to get in touch with guys that do the same thing I want to do. I'm to take in as much information as possible. I really appreciate the information. By the way how do you send a PM on this forum?
    Last edited by sixstring; 02-26-2010 at 01:37 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    austin
    Posts
    268
    You should do both and see what YOU like. There are many compromises on both sides but ultimately you will make more money and learn more in commercial.

    I'm back into residential because its easy, stress free, and i can sell. What i liked about commercial was the steady hours year round and lots lots (really lots) of windshield time.
    when life throws me a banjo, i play it

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    21
    Would you say taking the commercial route as far as an apprenticeship would be my best bet then?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    4,380
    I think everyone (new guys) should do a year of residential. It will teach you how to deal with customers, invoicing, and how a shop runs, etc. The equipment is not complicated, so you have a little more time to learn the business. Going straight to commercial could easily be overwhelming to a new technician. A lot of your customers have been dealing with hvac issues longer than you have been around.
    Its good to get your feet wet before jumping in.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
    Thats sounds like a great idea. I have been wanting to get in touch with guys that do the same thing I want to do. I'm to take in as much information as possible. I really appreciate the information. By the way how do you send a PM on this forum?
    Get PM ability with pro membership, now only $99.95*!!

    * While supplies last. Not valid with any other offer. No reproductions or photocopies will be accepted. Not available in some states. Some restrictions may apply.Prices subject to change without warning. Please wait 4-6 weeks for delivery.




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Harper View Post
    Get PM ability with pro membership, now only $99.95*!!

    * While supplies last. Not valid with any other offer. No reproductions or photocopies will be accepted. Not available in some states. Some restrictions may apply.Prices subject to change without warning. Please wait 4-6 weeks for delivery.


    plus taxes in Virginia and where ever else applicable**

    That sounds like some solid advice. Damn good laugh too

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Stumptown,USA
    Posts
    1,253
    Click on my name. That will take you to my profile. Click on contact info. Click on link for private message. I am on here every day. Or my email address is my blackberry. And Joe Harper is in business for himself!!!
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    4,380
    non pro's cant pm. Unless you have 99.95!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event