+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fluke 289FVF

Post Likes

Fluke 289FVF

Got my Fluke 289 Tuesday. I said that I'd post a review of it here. I don't have nearly enough experience with it yet to post an extensive review, but I thought I'd at least post my initial impressions.

Just like the guys in the only two reviews that I could find online, my immediate reaction was "Crap this thing is huge!” I knew the dimensions before I even ordered the thing, so it really shouldn’t have been much of a surprise.
    I ordered the 289FVF kit from Transcat by following the links on Fluke's website. If you register with them you get substantial discounts. Though I had to pay shipping, my net savings were still enormous compared to other vendors. They sent receipts and notices of shipment with tracking info both by snail and e-mail. They even called me yesterday to offer a $50 discount on my next purchase, an offer that they also sent me via e-mail. They advertise that warranty issues will be handled by them; there is no need to go back through Fluke, which seems like a plus. I've received fantastic customer service from them so far, and I have barely got this thing out of the box. I have a feeling that they would handle any warranty issues promptly if the circumstances required it.

I haven't found anything wrong with the product so far. It was in excellent condition. Both the installed firmware and software cd's that shipped with it were the very latest versions. The meter came with a NIST traceable calibration certificate with calibration details. The date of calibration was Dec '09, so only two months ago.

Though Windows 7 (64 bit) isn't listed as a compatible platform, I had absolutely no issues with installation or operation of the FVF software, and no issues establishing communication with the meter. And that was without even reading the installation instructions.

There were a couple issues with Flukes product registration forms however, but I managed through them.

I can’t comment in depth on the meter’s features or user friendliness yet, since I haven’t had an opportunity to actually use it in the field. I have tested out most of the functions and the logging features in the shop. Though it’s a large meter, the display is very nice, and the trending feature is fantastic. The temperature scale has an on screen digital offset function, down to tenths of a degree, which is a very nice feature for calibrating k-type probes.
    I’ll try to come back and post updates and pics to this thread as time and experience permits.
    Last edited by hvacrmedic; 02-25-2010 at 09:53 PM.

Post Likes
    I did along with others that actually purchased a 289 thinking that you can trend/plot/log in realtime. You can't, you can only view that data after you stop the process and save the data. It's not like TrendPlot on their Scopemeters.
    Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wptski View Post
    I did along with others that actually purchased a 289 thinking that you can trend/plot/log in realtime. You can't, you can only view that data after you stop the process and save the data. It's not like TrendPlot on their Scopemeters.
    That's correct. It uses TrendCapture instead. The recorded data cannot be viewed without ending the recording session. You can however perform interactive logging with the meter connected to a PC.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    That's correct. It uses TrendCapture instead. The recorded data cannot be viewed without ending the recording session. You can however perform interactive logging with the meter connected to a PC.
    Yep but a 189 will do that also. Some thought that they were getting TrendPlot which wasn't clearly explained in the early PR stuff about the 289 prior to its release.
    Bill

Post Likes
    Yep but a 189 will do that also. Some thought that they were getting TrendPlot which wasn't clearly explained in the early PR stuff about the 289 prior to its release.
    It was clearly explained in the user’s manual though, which was available on Fluke's website, post release. If anybody bought one of these not knowing what they were getting, then they can only blame themselves. I think it clearly states in the user’s manual that "This meter will not wipe your @ss for you! If you need that feature, then this probably isn't the meter for you."

I get that you have issues with the meter, based upon your many posts to that extent on the Fluke forums. I don't have a problem with that; OTOH the lack of some given feature isn't a valid critique. We all have our issues with various meters, and we're entitled to our opinions of them. A peeve for me is the inadequate ohms scale of the Fluke 902. It's actually a great meter, but given that it's promoted as an HVAC all-in-one meter, which it isn't, I'm somewhat offended by their gesture. The lacking features appear to be an intentional shortcoming designed into the meter, for the sole purpose of requiring the tech to purchase a DMM as well, in order to complete the ensemble. Mine probably isn't a valid complaint either, but it IS my opinion. So from that perspective I understand where you're coming from.

However, in this thread I'm going to attempt to target some of the features that the 289 does have, rather than concentrate on those that it does not have. It was those existing features that led me to purchase it. It is a valid point that you made, that this meter does not do on-board logging in real time, and moreover it does not do logging in the traditional sense either, but those things will be covered by the end of this thread. The logging method used is actually very ingenious, and as for me, I like it. It records only the relevant data, saving a lot of memory in the process, and a lot of trouble looking for unusual events that may or may not be there. I remember going through yards and yards of thermal paper rolls on an old voltage recorder that I used on my last job. I would sometimes spend two hours looking at perfectly normal boring data while trying to pick out anomalous voltage dips or surges. So for me, the 289, though not up to par with multi thousand dollar data logging instruments, is nevertheless a very nice meter for the price.

Post Likes
    It was clearly explained in the user’s manual though, which was available on Fluke's website, post release. If anybody bought one of these not knowing what they were getting, then they can only blame themselves. I think it clearly states in the user’s manual that "This meter will not wipe your @ss for you! If you need that feature, then this probably isn't the meter for you.

I get that you have issues with the meter, based upon your many posts to that extent on the Fluke forums."
    The PR stuff listing features appeared in early 8/07 but the manual wasn't posted till late 10/07, they didn't ship till late 11/07 and vendors created a waiting list. Fluke did admit that the PR stuff was too vague on the capture subject.

I was considering the 289 but I have a 189 and the gains were little plus the TrendPlot/TrendCapture was a negative. I can do that with a ScopeMeter much better anyway.

If you knew exactly what you weren't/were getting in all features, good for you! Some didn't. Yeah, I'm a Fluke Community Forum member probably since it was started. I even rip some of the Fluke stuff that I own too like one of my ScopeMeter's features!
    Bill

Post Likes
    The PR stuff listing features appeared in early 8/07 but the manual wasn't posted till late 10/07, they didn't ship till late 11/07 and vendors created a waiting list. Fluke did admit that the PR stuff was too vague on the capture subject.

I was considering the 289 but I have a 189 and the gains were little plus the TrendPlot/TrendCapture was a negative. I can do that with a ScopeMeter much better anyway.

If you knew exactly what you weren't/were getting in all features, good for you! Some didn't. Yeah, I'm a Fluke Community Forum member probably since it was started. I even rip some of the Fluke stuff that I own too like one of my ScopeMeter's features!
    I'm not here to advertise this meter, nor to promote it. I welcome any honest opinions about it. So far I haven't had much of a chance to use it.

I know what it will do, but I'm not certain how it will hold up in the field, or whether it's accuracy will actually be what is listed in the specs. I see that some of those figures state that they are valid only after using "REL". I'm not sure I like that philosophy. I can subtract off spurious signals on a cheaper meter and get the same accuracy that way as using REL on the 289. I didn't realize that I would actually have to calibrate it before every use to get the rated accuracy. That was my fault though, for not reading the subscript notes. FWIW, I tested the AC volts against my $35 Fieldpiece pocket meter and found them to disagree by only a couple of tenths of a volt. The Fieldpiece will zero out with the leads open, the 289 will not, except by using the REL function. Which meter is more "intrinsically" accurate?

If not for the logging features, the 289 would be inferior to the 87v.
    Last edited by hvacrmedic; 02-27-2010 at 05:21 PM.

Post Likes
    I'm not here to advertise this meter, nor to promote it. I welcome any honest opinions about it. So far I haven't had much of a chance to use it.

I know what it will do, but I'm not certain how it will hold up in the field, or whether it's accuracy will actually be what is listed in the specs. I see that some of those figures state that they are valid only after using "REL". I'm not sure I like that philosophy. I can subtract off spurious signals on a cheaper meter and get the same accuracy that way as using REL on the 289. I didn't realize that I would actually have to calibrate it before every use to get the rated accuracy. That was my fault though, for not reading the subscript notes. FWIW, I tested the AC volts against my $35 Fieldpiece pocket meter and found them to disagree by only a couple of tenths of a volt. The Fieldpiece will zero out with the leads open, the 289 will not, except by using the REL function. Which meter is more "intrinsically" accurate?

If not for the logging features, the 289 would be inferior to the 87v.
    I have all sorts of meters from Fluke, Ectech and AEMC. Not one of them can zero out test leads resistance without being connected! That's the point of using REL! Some units will retain the value though.

In what respect is the 289 inferior to the 87V?

That's not the only use of REL, you can use REL while measuring a voltage then make another measurement and you'll get +/- compared to the value you used REL on.
    Bill

Post Likes
    I have all sorts of meters from Fluke, Ectech and AEMC. Not one of them can zero out test leads resistance without being connected! That's the point of using REL! Some units will retain the value though.

In what respect is the 289 inferior to the 87V?

That's not the only use of REL, you can use REL while measuring a voltage then make another measurement and you'll get +/- compared to the value you used REL on.
    I only meant, that for the typical functions, you don't need a meter as big as the 289, or as fragile. The gain in accuracy isn't that great. The logging capabilities are essentially the only thing that sets the 289 above the 87v. If you stripped away the logging features, then the 87v would be a better choice, due to it's smaller size and more rugged design. OTOH, that being said, the extended ranges might be important to some users. I don't believe I'll ever be testing capacitors up in the millifarad range though, and I doubt I'll ever need to read microamps AC. I do like the extended ohms range and the low ohms function, and the calibratable temperature function. But in the end, if it hadn't been for the logging functionality, I would have probably bought an 87v instead.
    Last edited by hvacrmedic; 02-27-2010 at 10:42 PM.

Post Likes
    I only meant, that for the typical functions, you don't need a meter as big as the 289, or as fragile. The gain in accuracy isn't that great. The logging capabilities are essentially the only thing that sets the 289 above the 87v. If you stripped away the logging features, then the 87v would be a better choice, due to it's smaller size and more rugged design. OTOH, that being said, the extended ranges might be important to some users. I don't believe I'll ever be testing capacitors up in the millifarad range though, and I doubt I'll ever need to read microamps AC. I do like the extended ohms range and the low ohms function, and the calibratable temperature function. But in the end, if it hadn't been for the logging functionality, I would have probably bought an 87v instead.
    Comparing typical functions only, yes, other than logging, the 87V is the same. If you look at all the functions, the 289 has way more and that's what you paid extra for. Things like Fast min/max, nanosiemens, -/+ slope DC %, etc.

What are you planning to log?
    Bill

Post Likes
    Comparing typical functions only, yes, other than logging, the 87V is the same. If you look at all the functions, the 289 has way more and that's what you paid extra for. Things like Fast min/max, nanosiemens, -/+ slope DC %, etc.

What are you planning to log?
    Since I'm an HVAC tech, the primary logging function will likely be temperature. I'll also be using it to measure and log inrush currents and current trends, to check start relay/cap operation, motor drag, etc. I have an old 80i-400 clamp I can use for that. I'll also use it to log current on systems with breaker tripping issues, and any number of other current related issues such as heat strip sequencing.

In addition to that, it's worth noting that all of the Fieldpiece accessory heads can be used with the 289, with the benefit of being able to log those measurements over time. The combustion check attachments, for instance, when used with the 289, can be used to plot trends for review and/or transfer to a printed report. The dual port manometer head can be used to monitor and trend sealed combustion pressure variations, draft variations, etc.

A number of measurements that most of us resi and light commercial techs monitor by actually babysitting an instrument, can be monitored more efficiently with a captured graph of the values over time, in the comfort of the van's driver seat rather than upside down at the far end of a tight attic space.

I think the possibilities are virtually limitless. I'll post updates on practical uses of TrendCapture, min/max, and peak, as they occur to me, and as I personally test them out.

BTW, I also like the short/open test feature of the 289, which would have come in handy on a number of occasions in the past.
    Last edited by hvacrmedic; 02-28-2010 at 07:36 AM.

Post Likes
    Since I'm an HVAC tech, the primary logging function will likely be temperature. I'll also be using it to measure and log inrush currents and current trends, to check start relay/cap operation, motor drag, etc. I have an old 80i-400 clamp I can use for that. I'll also use it to log current on systems with breaker tripping issues, and any number of other current related issues such as heat strip sequencing.

In addition to that, it's worth noting that all of the Fieldpiece accessory heads can be used with the 289, with the benefit of being able to log those measurements over time. The combustion check attachments, for instance, when used with the 289, can be used to plot trends for review and/or transfer to a printed report. The dual port manometer head can be used to monitor and trend sealed combustion pressure variations, draft variations, etc.

A number of measurements that most of us resi and light commercial techs monitor by actually babysitting an instrument, can be monitored more efficiently with a captured graph of the values over time, in the comfort of the van's driver seat rather than upside down at the far end of a tight attic space.

I think the possibilities are virtually limitless. I'll post updates on practical uses of TrendCapture, min/max, and peak, as they occur to me, and as I personally test them out.

BTW, I also like the short/open test feature of the 289, which would have come in handy on a number of occasions in the past.
    Seems like you have plenty of uses for a logging feature!

Does the 289 allow the use of REL prior to or during logging? That's one complaint I had with Fluke's high end 190 Series Scopemeter but it could be used on their low end 120 Series Scopemeter.

You never addressed my question of how the Fieldpiece zeros out meter lead resistance without connecting them. I find that very confusing.

BTW: I caught your post before you edited it. I see that you just joined the Fluke Forum with no posts yet.
    Bill

Post Likes
    Seems like you have plenty of uses for a logging feature!

Does the 289 allow the use of REL prior to or during logging? That's one complaint I had with Fluke's high end 190 Series Scopemeter but it could be used on their low end 120 Series Scopemeter.

You never addressed my question of how the Fieldpiece zeros out meter lead resistance without connecting them. I find that very confusing.

BTW: I caught your post before you edited it. I see that you just joined the Fluke Forum with no posts yet.
    The 289 DOES allow recording in REL mode. REL mode is also available for almost every function.

I didn't say that the Fieldpiece zeroed out in the ohms scale. It doesn't. It was the AC volts scale that I was referring to when I said that the Fieldpiece zeroed out. No special steps were involved, the meter simply reads zero when there are zero volts applied to it. The 289 does not read zero when the actual voltage is zero. In fact, in the LoZ range my 289 settles off at 2.0 volts with the leads both shorted and open.

I did join the Fluke forum, but there doesn't seem to be much going on there. Some of the old threads are informative though. I probably won't post in that forum, the main reason being that when I log in to the forum my access is limited to less than what it is as a visitor. Can't say that I understand that at all. Actually I submitted a request to be removed from the membership, in the hopes that after joining again they'll get it right. The product registration is also not up to date with the actual products. I wasn't very comforted by those oversights. The FVF software is v3.5, but that version isn't on the list provided during registration. Makes me wonder how many oversights were made during the engineering of the meter. That could explain the 2 volt residual reading that I'm getting in LoZ. REL is not available in the LoZ range either, so I'll just have to live with that eyesore.

Post Likes
    The 289 DOES allow recording in REL mode. REL mode is also available for almost every function.

I didn't say that the Fieldpiece zeroed out in the ohms scale. It doesn't. It was the AC volts scale that I was referring to when I said that the Fieldpiece zeroed out. No special steps were involved, the meter simply reads zero when there are zero volts applied to it. The 289 does not read zero when the actual voltage is zero. In fact, in the LoZ range my 289 settles off at 2.0 volts with the leads both shorted and open.

I did join the Fluke forum, but there doesn't seem to be much going on there. Some of the old threads are informative though. I probably won't post in that forum, the main reason being that when I log in to the forum my access is limited to less than what it is as a visitor. Can't say that I understand that at all. Actually I submitted a request to be removed from the membership, in the hopes that after joining again they'll get it right. The product registration is also not up to date with the actual products. I wasn't very comforted by those oversights. The FVF software is v3.5, but that version isn't on the list provided during registration. Makes me wonder how many oversights were made during the engineering of the meter. That could explain the 2 volt residual reading that I'm getting in LoZ. REL is not available in the LoZ range either, so I'll just have to live with that eyesore.
    Okay, in ACV that's a common thing with Fluke meters, shake the leads will cause more too. It came up and was expalined by a Fluke Tech Support person long time ago. Your readings will be correct though.

I'm a moderator on that forum. There was so much SPAM and porn being posted every day that one of the moderators got Fluke to add some approval time after one joins. You might still be in that time frame. The person that does that must have some special access because I've had PMs from people that joined and were waiting. I couldn't even find the area where new users are kept at!! Not sure if there's a way to delete your account. I used to ban 5-10 a day for SPAM and porn.

Yeah that forum has been slow for a long time.
    Bill

Post Likes
    I dont mean to spin this off but the same thing happened to me on the fluke forums. Back to the topic I am very interested to hear more on the 289 and I need to get mt 15 posts Doh... i did nt mean to type that

Post Likes
    Here are a few pictures.
    Last edited by hvacrmedic; 03-10-2010 at 07:54 AM.

Post Likes
    Thanks hvacrmedic for the review and pictures. I have had my eye on that meter for a while and the info you are sharing is very helpful. Keep the +/-'s coming.

Post Likes
    I recorded this out of curiosity. I noticed a couple of obvious dips in the graph that look interesting. I can't explain them.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in