Two stage vs. single stage heat pump...what's the difference?

My house is a little over 1400 sq. ft. ranch home on the main level. Basement is 1/2 finished and eventually all will be finished.

Will there be any significant advantage of having a two stage compressor vs. a single stage compressor? I am deciding b/n an Amana ASZ140361 3 Ton 15 SEER Heat Pump (Single stage) and an Amana 16 seer Two stage, 3 Ton heat pump. Both hooked up to a variable speed air handler.

Was installing a ASZ16048 4ton Heat Pump today. So I think you know which way Id go.

I would definately recommend you a two speed system. The only problem is they are tricky to wire and configure correctly.

I would also recommend you look into the benefits of choosing a premium thermostat like a Honeywell Prestige HD or VisionPRO IAQ. These incorporate a built in humidistat to dehumidify better in the summer. In the winter they can have a outdoor thermometer and control your heat strips based on if you really ...truly.. need them or not.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PB72 View Post
    My house is a little over 1400 sq. ft. ranch home on the main level. Basement is 1/2 finished and eventually all will be finished.

Will there be any significant advantage of having a two stage compressor vs. a single stage compressor? I am deciding b/n an Amana ASZ140361 3 Ton 15 SEER Heat Pump (Single stage) and an Amana 16 seer Two stage, 3 Ton heat pump. Both hooked up to a variable speed air handler.
    Very good choice just make certain that the TXV's are installed sometimes they are in different packaging - If these are not installed you most certain will wash out your compressor on the 2 stage system... Make sure that the Indoor blower is speed calibrated for proper air flow..This equipment is kick bbbutttt and I've installed many BBBBuTTT it has been redesigned many times and now it's on its 5th or 6th generation...

"Rock-n-Roll " Ain't noise pollution..

Quote Originally Posted by INTECHBILL View Post
    Very good choice just make certain that the TXV's are installed sometimes they are in different packaging - If these are not installed you most certain will wash out your compressor on the 2 stage system... Make sure that the Indoor blower is speed calibrated for proper air flow..This equipment is kick bbbutttt and I've installed many BBBBuTTT it has been redesigned many times and now it's on its 5th or 6th generation...

I have it narrowed down b/n two companies. One is the two stage, the other is the single stage. I think either one will do a nice job. I am just wondering if the way a two stage HP will perform vs. the single stage one. The single stage one will be hooked up to a variable speed air handler, so will that basically function like a two stage ?

How will I know if the installers calibrate the blower speed?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PB72 View Post
    I have it narrowed down b/n two companies. One is the two stage, the other is the single stage. I think either one will do a nice job. I am just wondering if the way a two stage HP will perform vs. the single stage one. The single stage one will be hooked up to a variable speed air handler, so will that basically function like a two stage ?

How will I know if the installers calibrate the blower speed?
    NOOO ! They do NOT operate the same the two stage operates at 40% of it's capacity at first stage , Thus creating a more comfortable environment - You can actually take the 2 stage unit and operate it at 100% capacity and change it to a single stage .. a 2 stage system will require a 2 stage thermostat ...Almost all of your air handlers are variable speed today - you calibrate your fan speed by your tonnage there's a chart on the spec sheet - We strongly recommend a Heat Gain / Heat Loss report for the correct sizing - especially with your unfinished basement..

"Rock-n-Roll " Ain't noise pollution..