New discharge loop..

compressor MN.
    RS64C2-CAV-959, running with 408a..

Nor-lake C/U mn, sn
    cpb0750c-a, 03030471

This is a norlake walk-in cooler.I put this compressor in about two years ago.

Now I want to replace the round discharge loop in the evaporation pan since it's in bad shape. Norlake is asking $160+ for this loop.
    It's hard to round up a 3/8" tube in such a small diameter for me.Maybe I could try with sand in it, but I consider this instead:

4, each 5" long, 7/8" tubes connected with 3/8" U-bends. It should fit nicely in the small pan and do the job. But should I be concerned about any oil staying in the bottom of the 7/8" pieces? Would any of it accumulate in all four of them, if so would the amount really matter?

sand ??? i wouldnt do that..
    ive had luck forming the loops from the unstraightened coil of soft copper-
    just gradually reduce the coil diameter by hand till you get your desired coil
    dia..
    or just pay the mfg for parts

How big is the pan? Using a 3/8" bending spring I've easily made up loops which start out at around a 3" diameter.

Start bending about 6" in from the end to allow for an upward bend for the inlet connection then form a 3" diameter loop and keep bending around against the previous loop. I use a mechanical bender to do the much tighter bends for the upturns at the beginning and end of the loops.

I just made one up with three loops and it's 5 1/2" diameter overall. It only took about five minutes to do...and no kinks.

Here's a link to some pic's by HVAC LLC of another method (scroll to the bottom):
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....72#post4142872

(Unfortunately, the slideshow feature doesn't work anymore.)

i usually order from a supplier and they bend it and put a coating of something on the part that sits in the water to help with corrosion for half the price of manufacture. Try refrigeration hardware supply

3/8's is not bad to work with. Get some and try it.

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    How big is the pan? Using a 3/8" bending spring I've easily made up loops which start out at around a 3" diameter.

Start bending about 6" in from the end to allow for an upward bend for the inlet connection then form a 3" diameter loop and keep bending around against the previous loop. I use a mechanical bender to do the much tighter bends for the upturns at the beginning and end of the loops.

I just made one up with three loops and it's 5 1/2" diameter overall. It only took about five minutes to do...and no kinks.
    I should dig out my bending springs, they should be somewhere in the truck.I will give it a try.
    This was a recommendation I made, and the customer got serious about it, it's a little far just to get measurement.But it's a small pan, maybe 8". My concern is if I rolled up the copper myself, it's not going to be as tight as the factory-made one.So from vibration it may not last too long..maybe.

You have a valid point. You don't want to cause a breakdown. But I have whipped up some ugly loops that have held up.

Well I listened to you guys and made one loop with spring bender and another one with a mop gas bottle.Both work.Once i made the inner circle i was able to just continue without the bottle or spring.For vibration I will braze the circles on some spots.
    thanks.

those are easy to make. well not real easy but not hard. Your a craftsman. Act like it.

I got the one bender that will do 180's for 1/4 and 3/8's too. I use to work on small equipment like that and those kinds of repairs I enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post
    those are easy to make. well not real easy but not hard. Your a craftsman. Act like it.

I got the one bender that will do 180's for 1/4 and 3/8's too. I use to work on small equipment like that and those kinds of repairs I enjoyed.
    I have that one too.It's good for elongated loops.
    When I get slow I like to go around and replace those as a preventive repair.

heater

Other choice is an electric heater with the thermostat on it. Some loops are made out of coopernickle (sp). I get the heaters from case or rhs. Some call them foot heaters.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Quote Originally Posted by 76olds View Post
    You have a valid point. You don't want to cause a breakdown. But I have whipped up some ugly loops that have held up.
    same here. just make one up wannafreeze. its not a beauty contest.