Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,793

    New discharge loop..

    compressor MN.
    RS64C2-CAV-959, running with 408a..

    Nor-lake C/U mn, sn
    cpb0750c-a, 03030471

    This is a norlake walk-in cooler.I put this compressor in about two years ago.

    Now I want to replace the round discharge loop in the evaporation pan since it's in bad shape. Norlake is asking $160+ for this loop.
    It's hard to round up a 3/8" tube in such a small diameter for me.Maybe I could try with sand in it, but I consider this instead:

    4, each 5" long, 7/8" tubes connected with 3/8" U-bends. It should fit nicely in the small pan and do the job. But should I be concerned about any oil staying in the bottom of the 7/8" pieces? Would any of it accumulate in all four of them, if so would the amount really matter?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    butler pa
    Posts
    1,073
    sand ??? i wouldnt do that..
    ive had luck forming the loops from the unstraightened coil of soft copper-
    just gradually reduce the coil diameter by hand till you get your desired coil
    dia..
    or just pay the mfg for parts

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Guayaquil EC
    Posts
    10,259
    How big is the pan? Using a 3/8" bending spring I've easily made up loops which start out at around a 3" diameter.

    Start bending about 6" in from the end to allow for an upward bend for the inlet connection then form a 3" diameter loop and keep bending around against the previous loop. I use a mechanical bender to do the much tighter bends for the upturns at the beginning and end of the loops.

    I just made one up with three loops and it's 5 1/2" diameter overall. It only took about five minutes to do...and no kinks.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Guayaquil EC
    Posts
    10,259
    Here's a link to some pic's by HVAC LLC of another method (scroll to the bottom):
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....72#post4142872

    (Unfortunately, the slideshow feature doesn't work anymore.)

  5. #5
    i usually order from a supplier and they bend it and put a coating of something on the part that sits in the water to help with corrosion for half the price of manufacture. Try refrigeration hardware supply

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    pittsburgh, pa
    Posts
    535
    3/8's is not bad to work with. Get some and try it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,793
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    How big is the pan? Using a 3/8" bending spring I've easily made up loops which start out at around a 3" diameter.

    Start bending about 6" in from the end to allow for an upward bend for the inlet connection then form a 3" diameter loop and keep bending around against the previous loop. I use a mechanical bender to do the much tighter bends for the upturns at the beginning and end of the loops.

    I just made one up with three loops and it's 5 1/2" diameter overall. It only took about five minutes to do...and no kinks.
    I should dig out my bending springs, they should be somewhere in the truck.I will give it a try.
    This was a recommendation I made, and the customer got serious about it, it's a little far just to get measurement.But it's a small pan, maybe 8". My concern is if I rolled up the copper myself, it's not going to be as tight as the factory-made one.So from vibration it may not last too long..maybe.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    pittsburgh, pa
    Posts
    535
    You have a valid point. You don't want to cause a breakdown. But I have whipped up some ugly loops that have held up.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,793
    Well I listened to you guys and made one loop with spring bender and another one with a mop gas bottle.Both work.Once i made the inner circle i was able to just continue without the bottle or spring.For vibration I will braze the circles on some spots.
    thanks.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    12,077
    those are easy to make. well not real easy but not hard. Your a craftsman. Act like it.

    I got the one bender that will do 180's for 1/4 and 3/8's too. I use to work on small equipment like that and those kinds of repairs I enjoyed.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post
    those are easy to make. well not real easy but not hard. Your a craftsman. Act like it.

    I got the one bender that will do 180's for 1/4 and 3/8's too. I use to work on small equipment like that and those kinds of repairs I enjoyed.
    I have that one too.It's good for elongated loops.
    When I get slow I like to go around and replace those as a preventive repair.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Camel City, NC
    Posts
    6,232

    heater

    Other choice is an electric heater with the thermostat on it. Some loops are made out of coopernickle (sp). I get the heaters from case or rhs. Some call them foot heaters.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by 76olds View Post
    You have a valid point. You don't want to cause a breakdown. But I have whipped up some ugly loops that have held up.
    same here. just make one up wannafreeze. its not a beauty contest.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event