Post Likes

New discharge loop..

compressor MN.
    RS64C2-CAV-959, running with 408a..

Nor-lake C/U mn, sn
    cpb0750c-a, 03030471

This is a norlake walk-in cooler.I put this compressor in about two years ago.

Now I want to replace the round discharge loop in the evaporation pan since it's in bad shape. Norlake is asking $160+ for this loop.
    It's hard to round up a 3/8" tube in such a small diameter for me.Maybe I could try with sand in it, but I consider this instead:

4, each 5" long, 7/8" tubes connected with 3/8" U-bends. It should fit nicely in the small pan and do the job. But should I be concerned about any oil staying in the bottom of the 7/8" pieces? Would any of it accumulate in all four of them, if so would the amount really matter?

Post Likes
    sand ??? i wouldnt do that..
    ive had luck forming the loops from the unstraightened coil of soft copper-
    just gradually reduce the coil diameter by hand till you get your desired coil
    dia..
    or just pay the mfg for parts

Post Likes
    How big is the pan? Using a 3/8" bending spring I've easily made up loops which start out at around a 3" diameter.

Start bending about 6" in from the end to allow for an upward bend for the inlet connection then form a 3" diameter loop and keep bending around against the previous loop. I use a mechanical bender to do the much tighter bends for the upturns at the beginning and end of the loops.

I just made one up with three loops and it's 5 1/2" diameter overall. It only took about five minutes to do...and no kinks.

Post Likes
    Here's a link to some pic's by HVAC LLC of another method (scroll to the bottom):
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....72#post4142872

(Unfortunately, the slideshow feature doesn't work anymore.)

Post Likes
    i usually order from a supplier and they bend it and put a coating of something on the part that sits in the water to help with corrosion for half the price of manufacture. Try refrigeration hardware supply

Post Likes
    3/8's is not bad to work with. Get some and try it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    How big is the pan? Using a 3/8" bending spring I've easily made up loops which start out at around a 3" diameter.

Start bending about 6" in from the end to allow for an upward bend for the inlet connection then form a 3" diameter loop and keep bending around against the previous loop. I use a mechanical bender to do the much tighter bends for the upturns at the beginning and end of the loops.

I just made one up with three loops and it's 5 1/2" diameter overall. It only took about five minutes to do...and no kinks.
    I should dig out my bending springs, they should be somewhere in the truck.I will give it a try.
    This was a recommendation I made, and the customer got serious about it, it's a little far just to get measurement.But it's a small pan, maybe 8". My concern is if I rolled up the copper myself, it's not going to be as tight as the factory-made one.So from vibration it may not last too long..maybe.

Post Likes
    You have a valid point. You don't want to cause a breakdown. But I have whipped up some ugly loops that have held up.

Post Likes
    Well I listened to you guys and made one loop with spring bender and another one with a mop gas bottle.Both work.Once i made the inner circle i was able to just continue without the bottle or spring.For vibration I will braze the circles on some spots.
    thanks.

Post Likes
    those are easy to make. well not real easy but not hard. Your a craftsman. Act like it.

I got the one bender that will do 180's for 1/4 and 3/8's too. I use to work on small equipment like that and those kinds of repairs I enjoyed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post
    those are easy to make. well not real easy but not hard. Your a craftsman. Act like it.

I got the one bender that will do 180's for 1/4 and 3/8's too. I use to work on small equipment like that and those kinds of repairs I enjoyed.
    I have that one too.It's good for elongated loops.
    When I get slow I like to go around and replace those as a preventive repair.

Post Likes

heater

Other choice is an electric heater with the thermostat on it. Some loops are made out of coopernickle (sp). I get the heaters from case or rhs. Some call them foot heaters.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 76olds View Post
    You have a valid point. You don't want to cause a breakdown. But I have whipped up some ugly loops that have held up.
    same here. just make one up wannafreeze. its not a beauty contest.