+ Reply to Thread

Thread: POE

Post Likes

POE

What are the stratagies concerning POE oils. Is there a test kit out. Can you save the oil, lets say someone I want tell you who. fire alarm people.
    Drilled a whole through evaporator coil with a 12" long bit.
    System open for about a week. Manufacture said to pull a good vaccum and make sure system has driers.
    I purged nitrogen through it and evacuated. I was under impression to change oil ?

So I need some info as to when to change the oil and when it is safe to evacuate.

Post Likes
    Ive had a problem like this before. System sat open, dont know how long, maybe a whole season. I put both driers on and purged like you say and ended up having no problem after pulling a vacuum for about 2 hours while I ran some errands . Pull that suction drier off after a week. Id wait until its nice and dry or warm or both outside. I dont even know how youd change the oil. Its a hermetic compressor, right?

Remember, the colder it is outside, the more likely moisture will freeze while pulling a vacuum. You may want to do it in stages if it is worth the effort to you. The warmer the better.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=danno062;5989812]I dont even know how youd change the oil. Its a hermetic compressor, right? QUOTE]

Remove the compressor, turn it so the suction port is in a bucket, (upside down or on its side if its a Manurope) you will find the oil...
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rayr View Post
    Remove the compressor, turn it so the suction port is in a bucket, (upside down or on its side if its a Manurope) you will find the oil...
    Just measure what you take out and pour the same back in. Beings the evap had a hole put in it there is more of a chance of getting moisture in it due to condensation on the coil at the time. As far as oil testing you will need to send a sample to a lab to tell you moisture ppm, the small kits at the supply houses are for acid. So to get a sample your going to have to get some oil out of the compressor and you know what that involves now, so you might as well just change it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Doesn'tPhaseMe View Post
    Just measure what you take out and pour the same back in. Beings the evap had a hole put in it there is more of a chance of getting moisture in it due to condensation on the coil at the time. As far as oil testing you will need to send a sample to a lab to tell you moisture ppm, the small kits at the supply houses are for acid. So to get a sample your going to have to get some oil out of the compressor and you know what that involves now, so you might as well just change it.

Yep and if your not at least use acid scavenger and replace dryers with high cubic inch cores and again in about a week. You will how good of a job you did when the compressor either burns out or dose not.

Post Likes
    here is how i would handle this....... poe oil is very hygrosopic, meaning its like a big old sponge. any moisture that was in there air while the system was open would be drawn to the poe oil. Industry standard in this type of event is to change the oil, and perform proper evacuation/dehydration of the system. in addition, a drier core change is also recommended after x hours of operation. we are willing to work with you to rectify this situation in whatever manner you please, but remember, if moisure is left in the system, the combination of moisture and heat will shorten the life of your compressor windings. we cannot give you an actual time frame, but typically it reduces compressor life to three to five years, as opposed to the generally accepted lifespan of fifteen to twenty years. please advise as to how you would like us to proceed.

Post Likes

Question

I am thinking aloud. What if he wrap a heater wire around the bottom of the compressor (the kind we normally use on WI freezer drain line), Heat the compressor for an hour, then evacuate would that get rid of moister in P.O. E. oil?
    Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H.L. Hunt

"In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it." John uskin

Post Likes
    maybe, but how does he know? too many variables for me. you wanna own it? compressor failed in two years, we think your company do shoddy work. ever hear that? i dont ever want to hear that, i pass.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in