Question Any Russians here

OK, before you all go crazy on this thread I'm looking for a recipe for a Russian dish called shashlik. It is made with meat chunks, pork, beef, lamb, chicken, fish like salmon that are marinaded in spices and pomegranate juice. Then you cook them over an open fire, preferably wood. It was one of my favorite dishes when we lived in Moscow but now I can't find a good recipe for it. Anybody ever heard of it or maybe someone knows Russian emigrants?

Steve

It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Thumbs up

dandyme

Thanks, I'll check them out, but so far the ones I have found on line aren't the same as what I had overseas. Maybe I just need to let it set a few weeks in the marinade LOL.

Steve

nothing like the original

I have a friend that goes over to Russia about twice a year and that's all he talks about! I think your gonna have to try every recipe you can get your hands on and maybe mix a couple. They way he talks about it though makes it it sound like the best meat ever.

Talking it is good

When we lived in Moscow we could go to the market and buy it in a bucket already in the marinade. My favorite is the lamb or pork. I tried one receipt but was not happy with the results. I think because it had no oil in it so the marinade didn't stick to the meat very well. I'll keep trying until I get it right.
    Steve

Back in School after 38 years
    WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!!!!

The JOY of cooking is not following a recipe.

Get the basic concept of what you want to eat, be it your Russian dish, or any thing else. Then play around until you get the taste you are looking for.

Just don't forget how you got there.