removing wood stove and putting in pellet stove

I have a friend who has a wood stove going into his chimney, which is below grade. He'd like to remove that and put in a pellet stove. I went to a stove store to inquire about that and they told me he'd have to redo his chimney because the wood stove would normally use 6" pipe and the pellet stove uses 3" pipe. I'm guessing it's not as easy as putting a 6x3 reducer at the chimney thimble? Since his current setup is below grade he knows he can't just go out thru the wall with the pellet stove smoke pipe.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tony
    "Delay is preferable to error"- Thomas Jefferson

Check the manual for the pellet stove. Most of them allow you to use a 3-6" increaser and adapt to a wood chimney. I would have the wood chimney cleaned and inspected, and also this is not an optimal setup but it does work. To make it easier to clean in the future you can run a 3" or 4" stainless liner down the existing wood flue, and then connect to rigid pellet pipe. Then the entire systme is the same size.

This is asumming everything thats there is installed properly and functional. It would be best to have a pro inspect everything and see what options would work and be safe. Check out the manual for the stove you plan to get, and have it handy during the inspection.

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the info, I will relay it to my friend. I definitely would want a pro to do the inspection of everything to make sure it all would work properly once installed.
    "Delay is preferable to error"- Thomas Jefferson