+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what would you do

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

what would you do

About 3 months ago, a customer contacted us about installing new/used equipment he bought in a store he was opening. He was given a price and had someone else do the install. Last week he called for service on a freezer he brought from old store. On arrival I was told the new freezers were not working. There are 4 freezers-a,b,c,d.All evap coils froze up.All cycle on lpc(wired betweed 1 and n on timer). Nothing hooked to 4 and x on timer (no t stat, lls,temp termation). Only 3 and n went to the cases. Timer c controlled case d and d controled c. All condensing units are r404a and systems are charged with r404a. The 2 txv's i saw are r22 txv's. My question is what would you do with this situation (walk away, run away, kick the owner in the stones, rip it apart and start over, burn everything.) I'm just asking a general question to get the post count up.Attachment 79722

Attachment 79732

Attachment 79742

Attachment 79752

Attachment 79762

Post Likes
    Kicking in the stones sounds like a pretty good idea!
    But I guess I would just shake my head and explain to the customer why he got such a good deal on the install, and quote the work time and material to straighten it out.

(this is the kinda stuff that pisses me off, losing a job to the lowest bidder, now look at it)

Post Likes
    Tell him that buying "cheap" always costs more in the long run.

Post Likes
    point and laugh at the owner until your gut burst open.

Post Likes
    Been in situations like that and I have a pay as you go policy. I tell them I'll do one job at a time based on T&M, don't know how long or how much it will cost since I not only have to fix it but I have to undo it first, I expect to get paid every two to three days for work done so far and there is not warranty on the parts and job that was existing before I got there.

If I get any hesitation from the customer, I just leave.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    After not awarding you the install, why is he now calling you for the service?
    How is this person your customer when you are not the main guys doing all of the work? I would be insulted if I was asked to work on someone elses new install!

Post Likes
    One thing is certain. If you are fixing it you need to charge extra for working in that cold white stuff on the roof.

Post Likes
    seeing he found a cheaper installer who basicially new enough to screw it up..
    id say it will be t&m since you not only have to undo most of the install..
    may as well recover all the refrigerant as there is prob a ton of air in the system...then add proper controls/wiring..
    id start on the least fubared system then procede from there..

im guessing the installer may have been a foodservice equipment supplier ???

i used to do alot of refrigeration install in the pgh area...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pauls heating & View Post
    seeing he found a cheaper installer who basicially new enough to screw it up..
    id say it will be t&m since you not only have to undo most of the install..
    may as well recover all the refrigerant as there is prob a ton of air in the system...then add proper controls/wiring..
    id start on the least fubared system then procede from there..

im guessing the installer may have been a foodservice equipment supplier ???

i used to do alot of refrigeration install in the pgh area...
    I believe they are all installed identicial. Start with "a", work out all the problems , and continue down the line.

Post Likes

what would you do

Quote Originally Posted by pdrake65 View Post
    After not awarding you the install, why is he now calling you for the service?
    How is this person your customer when you are not the main guys doing all of the work? I would be insulted if I was asked to work on someone elses new install!
    He is one of those customers you know uses another company. I guess he is (or was) put up with because of the economy. This might be the last straw as far as he goes.

Post Likes
    seeing how it wasnt ever installed in a workmanship like manner he should
    go after the installer- if he can find em-(im sure his check cleared and they are long gone )

or just give him a bid for you to basically start over-and do it correctly

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in