closing off an unused fireplace-how - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ohhhh, I wouldlike to know what those bad things are so I won't do them.

Quote Originally Posted by logdoc_rob View Post
    I do not mean to sound harsh, but just keep in mind that some of the hosts on "This Old House" and other DIY type programs usually are not fireplace professionals, most that post in this forum are pros. I've seen the DIY weekend shows do things that scare the Hell out of me.

OOOps.. like what? I have seen things that my response was 'I'm not doin that!!' Please post when you see something.

you say the chimney cap was blown off. did you recover it and reinstall or replace it?

regarding sealing the fireplace with something reversible, a friend of mine used a piece of that rigid insulating foam to seal off the top of his fireplace under the damper. i think 1.5" thick and then sealed the edges with metallic HVAC tape. he painted it the foam black prior to installing it.

his was a masonry fireplace so not sure if it would be too visible with your factory box.

solution found!

insurance company paid for replacement It fell about25 feet onto concrete, it was a tin can thing
    Quote Originally Posted by drewski11 View Post
    you say the chimney cap was blown off. did you recover it and reinstall or replace it?

regarding sealing the fireplace with something reversible, a friend of mine used a piece of that rigid insulating foam to seal off the top of his fireplace under the damper. i think 1.5" thick and then sealed the edges with metallic HVAC tape. he painted it the foam black prior to installing it.

his was a masonry fireplace so not sure if it would be too visible with your factory box.
    Thanks, that's my answer. I'll put a few layers of aluminum foil around it so it will make noise if another bird gets down there then spray paint the bottom with black paint and attach a note to the damper thingey.
    I'll see if I can epoxy magnets in there to hold it in place.
    There is a lip on the screen which is big enough and I'm sure there is room above it. Will not be able to see it unless eyes are at about 18" from the floor. Being flat black ( I got the paint to spray inside furnace registers to make that construction invisible) and a flat black screen in front of the fireplace will make that installation invisible also.
    gail

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12