Thread: ABB ACS150 VFD?

ABB ACS150 VFD?

ive got a chiller that has this drive in it for the 2 cond. fan motors, the microprocessor for the chiller has a analog 0-10vdc output signal to control the fan speed, it also has a vfd start/stop relay that starts the vfd, when the head press. reaches 188 psi. it will power this relay up starting the vfd,
    can this drive accept a analog signal to control the speed of the motors, as of now i set the potentiometer on the drive to max and just let the head press. be controlled by the processor dropping power in and out to the vfd start/stop relay, this works ok but is really no difference than just a typical fan cycling switch, i would love to utilize modulation of the drive

Maybe i'm missing something.
    You said the chiller has aan output to control the fan speed and then your asking if the drive will accept an analog input???
    Yes the drive will accept an input (0-10vdc) or (4-20mA), and if it came installed on the un it it should already be wired into the microprocessor.
    If your having to manualy set the fan speed someone has probably set the drive to local.
    I'm good at making things cold...You can ask my first two wives!

sorry, the orginal drive had been replaced with this one, so i wasnt sure if its compatible,
    how do i program the vfd to except this signal and modulate the motors depending on the processors signal, and what exactly is local control?

There's a lot of variables on a drive that need to be set preferably before the drive is put into operation.

Correct type of input signal, motor hp, amps, service factor ect. Whoever installed it should have and may or may not have set all the parameters.

I mean no disrespect but if you do not know what local is I would highly recommend you call in someone famillar with both the chiller and the drive.

no problem, yes ive worked with vfd's over the years but never had to program one, i'm sure its something i can handle and will get it corrected but it sounds like i might have to get someone from ABB on the phone to help me setup the program properly

yes, i do understand what local control means, sunday night, a few beers later and i had a brain fart thats all

A few weekend beers

You know i've never done that

You can down load the manual.

yeah, downloaded the manual today, went back to the job site this morning and got it set up properly, thanks for the replies BKS60

most modern drives are relatively easy to program as compared to older stuff. the one thing you may not have considered is ramp timing. you may need to change this to keeep your head pressure steady.