Looking to install a fireplace

I'm looking into installing a gas fireplace in my personal residence. This would be a new installation where no fireplace currently exists.
    I am a HVAC/R contractor with my own business for 20+ years but have never installed a fireplace...so I thought I would ask the professionals on this forum.
    The wall where I want to put this has a brick chimney (inside the wall) that will no longer be used as soon as I change out the water heater. I plan to construct a nice floor to ceiling wall, build a hearth and tile it, and put in an insert, etc. My question is, can I line the chimney and use it for the vent? I was thinking I could use B vent to the chimney (which would be inside the wall I would build) and tie it into the liner. This is a two story house so the chimney height including the attic is about 18'. Does this sound possible? I do not want to install a vent free as they are not legal in our city.
    Thanks for your input.
    once you think you know everything, you'll never learn another thing!

You can use B-Vent if you get that type of fireplace. I would suggest looking into a Direct Vent fireplace though. Heat & Glo has been testing some of the newer models to be connected to a co-linear liner system and has details in the manual. If the direct-vent fireplace install manual does not show instructions for connecting to a liner system it should not be done. Now for B-Vent you may be allowed to switch to a liner at any time, but I cannot be sure because we don't sell b-vent models at all.

I would go with the b-vent fireplace. This will help protect the brick chimney.

Cool choices

Why not install a gas direct vent stove listed for use with a co-axial to co-linear vent up the chimney? Best of both worlds and you don't have a B-vented appliance that can spill CO back into the home and that suffers from either warm air lost up the stack via the draft hood or cold air infiltration AND subject to the pressure regimes of that home. BTW, you need to check with your AHJ regarding the installation of a B-vented appliance with regards to the energy code but esp. makeup air. Should never be installed in a sleeping room.

Direct vent or electric should be your choices. No more b-vent or ventfree/ventless, unvented, lungvented.

Go with a direct vent fireplace. They are on average 70% efficient, and completely sealed from your house.

They also make masonry chimney connectors so that it can draw fresh air from the existing chimney, and you would run a 4" flex liner up the same chimney for venting. I would contact your local FP dealer for more info. Most of the time, they do free estimates and can lay out your options for you.