gas log repair

Thread: gas log repair

gas log repair

Is anyone repairing gas logs for home owners, and if so, what all is involved with this type of repair?
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

If "the grass is greener on the other side", it likely has been fertilized with Bull$hit!

Not to be a smart azz, but it all depends upon the problem with the gas logs. It can be cleaning sensors, replacing pilot assemblys, replacing control valves, bad safety sensors, venting issues, wiring issues.....there can be many different issues with gas logs that can cause problems.

Do you have a specific issue that needs addressing, or are you thinking of expanding your services?

I have a propane company sending me some furnace work, and the lady that is sending the work has asked if I repair gas logs. I really want to stick to the furnace repair because I can easily see them being able to buy new logs for the cost of a repair.
    I am just wondering if the parts are pretty much universal, and where they can be bought.

If "the grass is greener on the other side", it likely has been fertilized with Bull$hit!

I am not sure what you charge for a service call, but most hearth shops in my area sell logs for 5-8 times the cost of my service calls. Parts are available for a lot of gas logs, but the older ones can be difficult to track down parts for.

Gas logs seem pretty simple appliances, but there are many other "little" things that one must be properly trained on. If you overlook one "little" thing with gas logs, homes burn down and people can die. Check with your liability insurance carrier to see if they will cover your working on gas fireplaces. If you really want more info or seriously want training, check into taking the NFI gas certification. http://www.nficertified.org/pages_in....cfm?affil=all
    Common sense is NOT common !!!

I think I will stick with the furnaces. After I mark up the parts, I am usually around 350-600 per call. They never blink. Especially since they are paying 700 mth to heat with propane this cold winter.

Maybe I need to start working on LP furnaces !!! I am just wondering if the parts are pretty much universal, and where they can be bought. Sorry I had to go there!!

Where is BBQ city, NC?

I usually stick with OEM parts if possible. I don't work for free or cheap. I have a lot of time into what I do. The gas logs shouldn't be too bad, but as you are saying, they don't have as many safeties and that is a safety issue.

As far as what you work on, if you know how to work on the furnaces you should. This will lead into some A/C work in the summer time too.

I know a little about furnaces, but not enough to work on customer's furnaces. Plus, I am not a fan of climbing in someone's hot attic in the Summer, I prefer to spend my time taking it easy on the beach with a frosty beverage.

That is why I work for myself. I can always tell them that I can't fix it until the morning. Attics and crawl spaces cost more also. I just figure it in.
    Frosty is definetely good in the summer, but I enjoy what I do so much that I pay very little attention to the weather conditions. If that were not true, there is no way I would do this for a living. However, I do realize that this is a young man's trade.