Thread: Pickling

Pickling

I am planing my garden (arrrrrggggg it started to snow again) and was wondering if anyone has ever made pickles? I love Pickled beats also so am thinking of trying that also. Anyone pickle? I am thinking of trying both refrigerator and "shelf" pickles.

I started canning and pickling about five years ago. I like to do the items that are hard or impossible to find in the stores. All summer I make half-sour pickles, then at the end of the summer, I can up a bunch of kosher dills (extra hot) and pickled cauliflower. Then in the fall, I do a bunch of brandied peaches and peach preserves. Corn on the cob in the freezer is great too!
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

If you are going to start canning food then be sure to read up on prevention of food borne illnesses. Foods with low acid content like green beans, beets and corn can contain and breed botulism.

half-sour pickles sounds good..care to share the recipe?
    Mom caned all the time so i understand the need to keep everything clean and bring things to temp...not looking to can fresh foods just make pickles. although still need to understand canning to do the later.

I think with pickles you can vacuum seal in plastic bags.

Here is a good basic recipe-
    8 c. water
    1/4 c. pickling salt
    1 gallon small pickling cucumbers
    6 garlic cloves
    6 dill heads or sprigs of fresh dill
    2 or more small fresh or dried hot peppers
    2 Tbsp. mixed pickling spices

Combine water and pickling salt in a large container. Stir well to dissolve the salt.

Wash cukes and remove blossom ends. Drain well. Pack the cukes in tall, wide mouth jars (about 3 or 4 quarts) that you can pick up at a Dollar store. For small cukes leave whole; larger ones, cut in half. As you pack the cukes, add the dill, garlic and peppers as you go. Sprinkle the pickling spices on top, and then cover with the salt water. You can make more or less brine; just keep the proportions the same.

A cheap and easy way to cover the top of the jar is with a plastic storage bag. Cover the top, pressing down to release any air bubbles. Then fill the cavity with leftover brine. This makes a cheap airlock.

Store the jar(s) on a counter out of direct sunlight. Try to keep the temperature between 65-70 deg F. Small bubbles should start to form in a day or two. Check them every day. Remove any scum that forms on the top. The pickles should be "half-sour" in about 3-7 days. Taste the pickles. After 3 days they will still taste more like cucumbers with a little pickle flavor. The longer you let them work, the greater the pickle taste. When the results are pleasing, remove the air lock, put the cover on the jar and refrigerate. They will taste best if you eat them within a few weeks.

Except for the salt to water ratio, you can experiment with the amount of seasonings, hots, and garlic etc. to please your own tastes.

Some recipes call for adding vinegar to the brine, I choose not too. Google “half sour pickles” and you will find many different recipes.

A few other points- make sure you use a cucumber meant for pickling, not the long skinny kind for salads. Also, try to pick your cukes in the early morning. Don't wash until you use them, and refrigerate immediately. Of course try to use them as soon as possible.

Good Luck Yellow!
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.