Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wierd short problem on air handler

Post Likes

wierd short problem on air handler

Here is a deal, last night I was at service call for no heat. First thing I seen by air handler was about 50 bad 3a fuses I was like what is this.Cust. told me they keep blowing from time to time and he keeps replacing them.Well anyhow I find a bad motor so I replaced that first, figured out I will mess with short problem later.Well after I replaced motor all works ok heat pump comes on and it turns off even went in defrost i was right next to it, so I was like great but I knew and I told customer that his short problem its not fixed that i will have to come back later to look it that, since it was late and dark. Well sure enough fuse went out today just like i said it will. So since this unit came on at least 4 times while I was there and went into defrost, I dont think that there is short in wiring or defrost board problems. I m assuming possibly that they ran wrong gauge wiring and it should be 18ga minimum any info would be great.Know last thing this was installed by moron with no hvac experince at all. 2.5T-13seer Heat Pump-Tempstar & 3.5T-10seer Air Handler Goodman LOL upsized coil to accomodate for seer rating this is 3 year old system, I did recomend to replace system since is not match properly at all but cust. don't want to hear about that and i do understand so if you guys have any other idea please feel free to answer I m thinking it is cause of wire that runs from air handler to heat pump not correct gauge rating

Post Likes
    come on people some helppppppppppppp

Post Likes
    Two things; it is difficult for those of us who are dislexic and have onset oldtimers disease to read that much of a run on paragraph. Put some breaks in your post so's we can read them without straining our poor, old and tired eyes.

Secondly, shorts are pretty much impossible to figure out from a keyboard. You know what the result is, so start testing each connection, each wire and each component until you find the culprit.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Your gonna have to isolate components and track the short .Dont overlook the simplest things. question everything and assume nothing . I've had to rewire a system from scratch because of intermittent shorts caused by things like the stat wire insulation was stripped and vibration caused it to (float short ). good luck

Post Likes
    I once heard a story about a system that was continually blowing the control fuse late in the day. After several times of changing the fuse and not being able to find any problems the service tech went to this house late in the day so that he could watch the unit in operation and hopefully catch the fault when it happened. Everything was running just fine when at exactly 5:00 pm the landscape sprinklers came on soaking the service tech and the condensing unit. In less than a minute water had gotten into the condensing unit and shorted the control circuit. This probably isn’t your problem but it gives you an idea of what sort of gremlins can blow fuses like that.

Post Likes
    We have a choo choo system been doing this off & on all winter. 2 techs have gone through everything. Only thing they haven't done is pull a new low voltage wire through the crawl. Last tech found a stuck shut TXV outdoors and the customer said don't fix, he'd use emergency heat the rest of the winter!

zanko, work on your post count and when you get above 15 posts, apply for pro membership. This type of topic we prefer in the pro tech forum, you'll get more help.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    We have a choo choo system been doing this off & on all winter. 2 techs have gone through everything. Only thing they haven't done is pull a new low voltage wire through the crawl. Last tech found a stuck shut TXV outdoors and the customer said don't fix, he'd use emergency heat the rest of the winter!

zanko, work on your post count and when you get above 15 posts, apply for pro membership. This type of topic we prefer in the pro tech forum, you'll get more help.
    What is a choo choo system?
    Stuart
    Lack of airflow destroys compressors.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mcewans View Post
    It's hard to stop a choo choo system.
    Aint Notin Sweeter, Then A Brand New Heater!!!!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mcewans View Post
    You will be provided consonants only. You guess the vowels.

Isn't this a game show with Vanna White?

T R _ N _

No, it's not TRONU.

Post Likes
    i have short problems occasionally, seeing as i am only 5'7". U just have to work threw them and overcome the situation.

Post Likes
    Check the control wire to the condenser, I had one yesterday the insulation had cracked, unit ran fine till snow got into it and it shorted against the case, didn't find it the first time out, replaced the fuse, got called out 4 hours later, found it that time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyM View Post
    I once heard a story about a system that was continually blowing the control fuse late in the day. After several times of changing the fuse and not being able to find any problems the service tech went to this house late in the day so that he could watch the unit in operation and hopefully catch the fault when it happened. Everything was running just fine when at exactly 5:00 pm the landscape sprinklers came on soaking the service tech and the condensing unit. In less than a minute water had gotten into the condensing unit and shorted the control circuit. This probably isn’t your problem but it gives you an idea of what sort of gremlins can blow fuses like that.
    Good sample story. Most of the ghosts in the machine I have found with shorts also involved moisture of one sort or another. From condensate dripping on components to high humidity days, moisture is always something to suspect.

Welcome aboard JimmyM. Looking forward to your getting 15 posts under your belt so you can apply for professional status and see what this site "really" has to offer professional HVAC geeks.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    You will be provided consonants only. You guess the vowels.

Isn't this a game show with Vanna White?

T R _ N _

No, it's not TRONU.
    I get it, it's a TREND!
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post

Did they replace the board? I've found several TREND heat pumps with perfectly good looking boards that had burned spots on the back that would periodically wreck havoc.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    I get it, it's a TREND!
    Vowels only. I already gave you the consonants.

I'm gonna have Vanna spank you for a rules violation.

No more Wheel of Fortune for you.

Post Likes

In that case, it could also be TRENT, like in New Jersey. Vanna can spank me there.
    Training is important!

Post Likes

OK, then it must be TRINI http://houseoflime.********.com/2006...rini-talk.html

I still have a spanking coming though.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    I still have a spanking coming though.
    You have a choice of the spanker:

A. One of Tigger Wood's girlfriends
    B. Vanna White
    C. Pat Sajak
    D. One of the male nurses that helped you with your recent heart episode.

Enjoy.

Post Likes
    You have a choice of the spanker:

A. One of Tigger Wood's girlfriends
    B. Vanna White
    C. Pat Sajak
    D. One of the male nurses that helped you with your recent heart episode.

Enjoy.
    I'm really not a choosy kind of a guy. Just put me down for E. Any of the above.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    I have some experience at this............

Found a T-stat wire that ran through a foundation wall was "frayed" because the kids
    would get on each side of it and pull it back and forth. It wore the insulation to nothing
    and the copper conductors began rubbing each other.......

This will PapaFuse in a hurry!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in