Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

how long should my Heatpump be running?

I got a new heatpump and AHU. I used my old thermostat a 13 year old honeywell programmable model.

My old heat pump was a 10 seer unit 20 years old. My new unit is 15 seer.

My new unit runs for 10 minutes then cuts off for 10 minutes, runs for ten minutes cuts off for 10 minutes etc.

Does this seem right? It is cold here now 20’s and 30’s and the aux heat kicks in to help.

What I notice is if my heat pump was set on 68, it never leaves 68 the heat pump cuts on and off, but never leaves 68. Is this right?

Shouldn’t my heat pump be running longer?

Shouldn’t it be doing something like this set on 68, when it drops to 67, the heat pump kicks on until it goes to 69 then it goes off until it drops to 67.

Honeywell electronic t-stats round towards the setpoint.

Your new heatpump is probably clean, properly charged, and in good condition; it probably just heats better than the old unit, unless you upsized.

If it's cold enough for the aux heat to kick in occasionally, the heatpump should be running continuously.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

As for the temp dropping before the heat pump comes on. Did it drop before with the old heat pump.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Wouldn't aux kick in for defrost?
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Kidd, get some sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    If it's cold enough for the aux heat to kick in occasionally, the heatpump should be running continuously.

otherwise install a new honeywell digitall stat, pro 5000 or better version and adjust the CPH for heat

Quote Originally Posted by hero8675 View Post
    My new unit runs for 10 minutes then cuts off for 10 minutes, runs for ten minutes cuts off for 10 minutes etc.

Does this seem right?
    No. Not right.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    As for the temp dropping before the heat pump comes on. Did it drop before with the old heat pump.
    I remember my old heat pump working like this:

If it was set on 68, when it drops to 67, the heat pump kicks on until it goes to 69 then it goes off until it drops to 67. I think it worked like that. I know for sure their were times when if it was set on 68 that the tempture was not 68.

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post

otherwise install a new honeywell digitall stat, pro 5000 or better version and adjust the CPH for heat

a new thermostat is in the works.

On a mild day, 10 on and 10 off sounds about right. But you shouldn't have any backup on. In cold weather, constant operation with cycling backup would be the norm.

As the boys have said, some stats show a drop of a degree before the unit comes on and a rise of a degree over setpoint when it shuts off. Honeywell and White-Rodgers don't. They'll sit all day at setpoint and cycle the equipment. Most stats let you adjust cycle rate if you want longer cycles and possibly a greater temp droop.

Quote Originally Posted by hero8675 View Post
    I got a new heatpump and AHU. I used my old thermostat a 13 year old honeywell programmable model.

My old heat pump was a 10 seer unit 20 years old. My new unit is 15 seer.

Does this seem right? It is cold here now 20’s and 30’s and the aux heat kicks in to help.

What I notice is if my heat pump was set on 68, it never leaves 68 the heat pump cuts on and off, but never leaves 68. Is this right?

Shouldn’t my heat pump be running longer?

Shouldn’t it be doing something like this set on 68, when it drops to 67, the heat pump kicks on until it goes to 69 then it goes off until it drops to 67.
    It likely is, its just not showing you the drop in temp. Some people would be upset if they had it set at 68 and it was reading 67 (aka not maintaining 68).

Depending on the outside temp and heat loss of your home sounds like its normal operating. When its colder you'll have a longer run time and shorter off time. When its warmer it will have a shorter run time and longer off time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stamas View Post
    Kidd, get some sleep.
    :-)
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

It's hard to diagnose the problem from where I sit in Austin Tx.

It could be nothing or it could be something very simple. Most HVAC companies have had customers call in real problems after installs. More frequently they have had the experience of customers call in imaginary trouble.

Call out the installing company and have them look at it.
    They should be able to tell you if everything is working ok or not.
    Calling them will enable them to remedy the situation and create a paper trail for you.
    “I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast