Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused Whats with trane coils?

What the crap is with Trane cond coils lately they have seemingly gotten worse than previous years, 3 years down the road condensing coils getting porous pinhole leaks the copper discolors to that red oxidation and flakes.. I have seen quite a few units like this mostly Rut's 20 tons and up... Has anyone Else noticed an increase in leaks on their coils?
    Last edited by Octopus; 02-17-2010 at 10:33 PM.

Not really. Leaks in all the other usual places, though.

just installed one today with a leak on the dicharge line. R410a. that would be my second one this year.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishvacman View Post
    What the crap is with Trane cond coils lately they have seemingly gotten worse than previous years, 3 years down the road condensing coils getting porous pinhole leaks the copper discolors to that red oxidation and flakes.. I have seen quite a few units like this mostly Rut's 20 tons and up... Has anyone Else noticed an increase in leaks on their coils?
    Yea, It's the "Copper-Plated Holes" they're trying to pass off as tubing. I've had a replacement coil leak as soon as installed. A 12 " section of tube in the middle of the bundle was essentially a "soaker hose", continuous pin holes. Managed to cut that section out and replace with a piece of 3/8 copper tubing. (Had too. It was in the subcooler bundle. Would have lost too much capacity to just cap it off). I took the removed piece and soldered fittings on each end, pressurized with nitrogen, and sprayed down with soap. The whole section just foamed up.
    "Wheel" mechanics work on "Wheel" chillers

I have had a couple leaks in relatively new equipment, also. I wouldn't say it's an epidemic, but where I haven't seen a Lennox or Carrier leak at all in 100 units, I've had 2 or 3 bad condensing coils from Trane out of 100.
    I like turbos

Not sure about condenser coils but we have had some issues with "newer" Trane watersource heatpumps. The tubing that the coils are made of is literally paper thing. You have to be very careful brazing on it or you'll melt the tubing.

chrishvacman,
    You are right.....Trane needs to put more monies in quality & QC....last year I've replaced 5 cond. coil.....all warranty....what I dont understand is that the factory wants the coil back....i wonder if they patch them and back to the assembly line.

Had an appartment block go up next to our trane chiller and the coil facing the appartment block didnt last 12 months, the one on the other side was fine, We put it down to the building dust from the appartment block.

there was a service bulletin published a few years back (3 maybe 4yrs)

don't recall models,

when I found out at update session, my question to rep was " what about the coils that had been replaced at customers expense, his "Trane"response was "oh well"

Trane had conceded to warranty the coils and some labor.................but their aaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddd ddd
    response just cost customers that had already went thru this crap and footed the whole bill.

they weren't about to back up and pick up warranty on systems that had already been repaired

If trane could just grow a pair and admit their problems in a timely manner......................
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishvacman View Post
    What the crap is with Trane cond coils 3 years down the road condensing coils getting porous pinhole leaks the copper discolors to that red oxidation and flakes.. I have seen quite a few units like this mostly Rut's 20 tons and up... Has anyone Else noticed an increase in leaks on their coils?
    i believe it's the area your in

i seen the red oxidation and flakes on 3 year old system's that were near the ocean

those system's were not only Tranes but;

they were Lennox's, Carrier's, Rheem's, etc.

is this job you are refering too, close to the ocean

i see your 50 miles North up the road

obviously none of your jobs are very far from the Ocean

Yes I have noticed this lately, not just leaks but 5 out of 10 Trane rooftops has had an issue on initial startup.

Had to replace The condenser coil on 35 ton rtu six months after start up . Personally think trains going cheap across the board almost to the point where were about to quit selling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Little NATE View Post
    Had to replace The condenser coil on 35 ton rtu six months after start up . Personally think trains going cheap across the board almost to the point where were about to quit selling it.
    I have had my share of tube leaks as of late on smaller rtu's. Most were stress cracks at the 180 degree tube end swage joints on condenser coils. However I'm finding them on res-units and comm-units . Thinner tubing used for temp transfer efficiency and factory copper supply cost savings . Sadly quality control standards are not what it used to be . Well , I guess if nothing broke We would all be out of work. good luck to all of you .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast