I must proclaim...

Those of us that can remember the days as kids when we used our imagination to have fun....
    When reading Mad magazines at a sleep over was a good time.
    Playing ball all day at the park until it got dark.
    Going on long bike rides with your pals exploring the neighborhoods.
    Getting up early to watch Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.
    When the only family car was a station wagon.
    Playing with your army men and match box cars in your back yard.
    Building a tree house with your buds.
    When Toss-Across, Etch a sketch and Light Brights were popular.
    Collecting Topps baseball cards and Wacky Packages...and trading with friends.

These are some things I remember as a kid.

I have 2 children now, a girl and a boy, ages 12 and 9. I see how attached to technology they are and how all kids are these days. I see how they dont have the friendships I had as a kid....its sad.

Its sad that our children cant rome the neighborhoods and play outside all day on their summer breaks for fear of some nutcase snatching them up.

It seems to me that we are slowly loosing our freedom.....freedom to be a child....freedom to enjoy life as an adult because the cost of living is so high....freedom to express ourselves as individuals. We are prisoners to our work, mortgages, and monthly bills.

How will it be in another 40 years?....I hate to think about it, especially since I can remember the simpler days. Is our future to become automatons? to become attached to a matrix so to speak? to become assimilated?

To be part of a collective...a hive?

Scary!

I reject this reality and want to go back to the 60s!

Maybe it wouldnt be such a bad thing to see it all go up in smoke so we could start over.

When thinking of the future, I cant get the movie Blade Runner out of my mind. Over populated city cesspools filled with strange peoples and strange indigenous language dialects, rain, darkness and pollution.

Look out!
    Last edited by coolwhip; 02-17-2010 at 09:17 AM.
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."

Having a simpler and more relationship oriented life is a choice, and many folks do make that choice within our 'high-tech' society.

I personally have more respect for the one that does make this choice than for the one that makes the $$$ and looses quality of life.

Just my $0.02 worth.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

Things will never be the same. We really did have the best age to grow up in.
    Of course today's youth don't know what they missed. When our generation passes so will our foundations and memories. I don't imagine kids now could imagine a summer vacation without electronic devices of some type. Hard to miss what you know little about.

They won't get the chance to play soldiers in the back alley all day.

I don't see kids standing out in front of houses to call out their friends to play "AAAALLLLLLLAAAAANNNNNNN!!!!"

I remember running far and wide with a butterfly net and kill jar to add to my collection, jumping fences, running fields.

Watering the yard all day, so I could go out after dark with a flashlight to collect nightcrawlers for the next days fishing.

Laying in bed, window open with a fan directed at my face hot summer days, listening to Ernie Harwell call a game.

My first bike, a Schwinn 5-speed with the stick shift, banana seat and flared handle bars. That was the cats ass.

Getting to drink a Pepsi when my dad watched Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday nights.

City Parks & Rec had a little booth at the park where you could by cool craft items during the summer from volunteers.

Pick-up baseball with friends, never organized, just when enough kids were available.

The great mystery surrounding girls - the most risque pictures we ever saw were lingerie adds, and the rare commandeered Playboy magazine.

Great memories

I remember when I could play all day running bare foot come home, sleeping and getting up and doing all over. and nothing hurt. I could walk on broken glass and not get a cut. I stepped on nails? no one cared, we kept playing.

NOW! I install one furnace and at the end of the day I can barely walk, my back is KILLING ME. and it takes a second day of "light work" to get to the point where I can walk straight again

Then I see a Multi-millionaire jerkweed "professional sportsman" stub his toe and he sits the bench and collects $300G's a week.........bite me

I want to make it through a whole day and not be in pain, like the "old days"
    "Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

I grew up in a small town in SC. Counting the dogs, population...1500. But we had EVERYthing including an Olympic size community pool.

There were 24 boys all within 3 years age of each other and all within a 10 minute walk. And there were lots of others just 10 minutes away by bike. The school ground had a 10 acre playground...large enough for baseball and football all at the same time. And it was within a 2 minute walk of our house. Needless to say, we never lacked for someone to play with.

Our backyard bordered on a closed down lumber mill. There were 2 huge sawdust piles, each 3 stories high where we played "King of the Sawdust Pile" and pissed off our parents when we came home with dust in our noses, ears, and underwear. The bordering fence was completely covered by honeysuckle vine and it was large and strong enough to play "King of the Honeysuckle Vine" as well. Our yards were about 2 acres, plenty of room to play "Hitting with the Innertube" where one person is "it" and tries to hit anyone with an old inflated tire tube. Whoever got hit was "it".

At the pool, we played "Gator" (tag but if completely underwater, you were on base) or "Pompom" or we'd build human pyramids 5 high.

And we played till well after dark without fear from some perv.

We slept with doors and windows open and screen doors latched. There was no such thing as HVAC. But there was no such thing as intruders either.

The Cold War was "raging" and I remember watching B-52's on their oil-burner routes over our town and tankers fueling them up at altitude. Sometimes, I think we were better off with that going on.

We watched "Howdy Doody" and "Pinky Lee" on TV. And Jimmy Dodd and the Mousketeers. And then there was "My Friend Flicka" and "Rin Tin Tin" and "Circus Boy" and "Superman".

And life was grand.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Those of us that can remember the days as kids when we used our imagination to have fun....
    When reading Mad magazines at a sleep over was a good time.
    Playing ball all day at the park until it got dark.
    Going on long bike rides with your pals exploring the neighborhoods.
    Getting up early to watch Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.
    When the only family car was a station wagon.
    Playing with your army men and match box cars in your back yard.
    Building a tree house with your buds.
    When Toss-Across, Etch a sketch and Light Brights were popular.
    Collecting Topps baseball cards and Wacky Packages...and trading with friends.

These are some things I remember as a kid.

I have 2 children now, a girl and a boy, ages 12 and 9. I see how attached to technology they are and how all kids are these days. I see how they dont have the friendships I had as a kid....its sad.

Its sad that our children cant rome the neighborhoods and play outside all day on their summer breaks for fear of some nutcase snatching them up.

It seems to me that we are slowly loosing our freedom.....freedom to be a child....freedom to enjoy life as an adult because the cost of living is so high....freedom to express ourselves as individuals. We are prisoners to our work, mortgages, and monthly bills.

How will it be in another 40 years?....I hate to think about it, especially since I can remember the simpler days. Is our future to become automatons? to become attached to a matrix so to speak? to become assimilated?

To be part of a collective...a hive?

Scary!

I reject this reality and want to go back to the 60s!

Maybe it wouldnt be such a bad thing to see it all go up in smoke so we could start over.

When thinking of the future, I cant get the movie Blade Runner out of my mind. Over populated city cesspools filled with strange peoples and strange indigenous language dialects, rain, darkness and pollution.

Look out!
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? I hope not!

Good post. I feel as you do.....

Quote Originally Posted by can2man View Post
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? I hope not!

Good post. I feel as you do.....
    That was the novel the movie 'Blade Runner' came from... Curious choice in a thread about childhood times.

I wonder what the next generation will say...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    That was the novel the movie 'Blade Runner' came from... Curious choice in a thread about childhood times.

I wonder what the next generation will say...
    Unless we put conservatives in government for the next 10 years they will be saying "Peace be unto him". Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    We are prisoners to our work, mortgages, and monthly bills.

But do we have to be? I take the bus to work, $80 bucks a month and $50 to fill up my car. Car is ten years old, do not drive it as much now that I take the bus. No cellular phone, forget about texting or internet browsing. People with their HDTV PVR's, bug screen TV's (ok I will get one some day), I do have a couple of computers though.

No toys like dirt bikes, snowmobiles, boat, cotage and all the costs that go with them. Modest house, do all the work on it myself. Work with a guy that has a full time job and still works part time at night. Takes the family on a vacation down south every year. I guess I could afford doing it myself.

Come to think of it I do not have a morgage, monthly bills not really an issue. Still do have to work though, but my financial advisor says I can prety much decide when I want to quit, within reason. Should really stop posting on here though, pick up a good book instead. Ten bucks for hours of enjoyment. Or pick one up from the library for free.