Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Location of registers for basement

I am in the process of finishing my basement on my 3 year old house, there are vents in the ceiling and no cold air return. Should the heating vents be relocated to about 1ft off the floor and the cold air return go in the ceiling? Since it is in the framed stage It would be fairly easy to do.

Thank you

The best arrangement for HEATING this basement area would be to have the supply LOW near the floor level (just above the baseboard) and the Return should also be LOW near floor level while as far away as possible from any supply (an opposite wall is best).
    This arrangement also works good for Cooling season too, especially in a basement.

Blowing air across your ankles generally will lead to severe comfort problems. We usually put the ceiling registers in perimeter of ceiling and the returns down low on interior walls. Having air "blown" at you will cause comfort problems especially if you have a heat pump! We also try and recommend to homeowner to zone the basement outlets to increase comfort level otherwise you will have a temp. difference summer and winter.

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    Blowing air across your ankles generally will lead to severe comfort problems. We usually put the ceiling registers in perimeter of ceiling and the returns down low on interior walls. Having air "blown" at you will cause comfort problems especially if you have a heat pump! We also try and recommend to homeowner to zone the basement outlets to increase comfort level otherwise you will have a temp. difference summer and winter.

Typicall I would have the vents closed or very slightly opened during A/C use since the basement is typically cool anyway.

No heat pump
    For heating season vents would be open.

Do you think I would be OK leaving them in the (9') ceiling and adding a return down low? Or move both low?

Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman3 View Post
    Typicall I would have the vents closed or very slightly opened during A/C use since the basement is typically cool anyway.

No heat pump
    For heating season vents would be open.

Do you think I would be OK leaving them in the (9') ceiling and adding a return down low? Or move both low?

Thanks for the help
    Usually, when roughing in a house i put the supply in the ceiling and the returns near the floor

Quote Originally Posted by matcolecat View Post
    Usually, when roughing in a house i put the supply in the ceiling and the returns near the floor
    Thanks for the feed back. It would save me some work to leave them in the ceiling and just add a return, I just want to do it correctly which ever way that is.

I worry just a little idf the returns can "see" the furnace or water heater.
    If the equipment is in a room by itself then i would put at least two returns down low and the supplies in the ceiling.
    Please note!!!!!!!
    i would use reguliar wall registers in the ceiling.The reason is that they will give you a 8' throw to the floor in heating if duct pressures are good.Round ceiling registers will only give you about a 3' throw if you are lucky.I like to warm the concrete floors as good as possible for heating.
    I have done what I am reccomending and it makes a world of differance.

Quote Originally Posted by REP View Post
    I worry just a little idf the returns can "see" the furnace or water heater.
    If the equipment is in a room by itself then i would put at least two returns down low and the supplies in the ceiling.
    Please note!!!!!!!
    i would use reguliar wall registers in the ceiling.The reason is that they will give you a 8' throw to the floor in heating if duct pressures are good.Round ceiling registers will only give you about a 3' throw if you are lucky.I like to warm the concrete floors as good as possible for heating.
    I have done what I am reccomending and it makes a world of differance.
    And to add to your idea there the adjustable louver register's would give even more control over aiming the heat at the floor.

Upstairs of our home has all HVAC in the ceiling and before the heat would stay at the ceiling, with these and aiming them at the floor there is no temp difference between the floor and ceiling.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Gus-Herb94 View Post
    And to add to your idea there the adjustable louver register's would give even more control over aiming the heat at the floor.

Upstairs of our home has all HVAC in the ceiling and before the heat would stay at the ceiling, with these and aiming them at the floor there is no temp difference between the floor and ceiling.
    Oh yes,That looks simuliar to a hart&Cooly "A618" register.
    That one gives about a 10' throw.

As mentioned already don't use round ceiling registers to heat with. They are made to cool, not heat. They blow the air across the ceiling and the heat will not reach the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by REP View Post
    Oh yes,That looks simuliar to a hart&Cooly "A618" register.
    That one gives about a 10' throw.
    That does happen to be a photo of the A618
    Those are exactly what we have all over our upstairs since I hate not having any directional adjustment with these ceiling/sidewall vents we have.

It'll work great; as long as the c/a return is properly SIZED for the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus-Herb94 View Post

The adjustable louvered register is what the builder put in. I don't know if it's the brand and model you mention but it it the same look.

Thank you for all the feed back.

one other question... to run my returns can I tap into the run that is in the basement ceiling for the upstairs return? If so how do you tap off it since it is just thermo pan and the wall channel isn't alligned with the ceiling channel that I need to come off of?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast