Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pond.

pond.

I am currently getting bids. I dont know squatt. I spoke w/ electric company. they will give 750$ per ton on ground source heat pump. I was planning on having the loop installed in my pond, 150 feet form basement wall. pond is 11 1/2 feet deep. I need a 3 ton unit. Electric company said it would take @ 10 years for unit to pay for itself. but i dont know. should I just have a regular heat pump installed or go with the pond source heat pump? current bid for pond heat pump is @$. I am willing to do what I can to help reduce the cost , like dispose of the old equipment, dig the trench for the pipes etc... Thanks for your thoughts. live in Troy, Missouri.
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-02-2009 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Removed price

A reprimand is headed your way.

No install equipment, or labor/service prices allowed in post.
    Please read site rules thank you.

Also deleted your other thread. Please don't make duplicate threads in the forums.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

And there is only one 't' in 'squat'. That's three reprimands so far. . .
    Something is still in post #1 that probably shouldn't be. . .

Rebate amounts are allowed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Don't forget the Feds give you a 30% tax credit with no limit for geo units as well. Your state may have additional incentives. Just remember that electric prices are going to go up and up and up and up and up..got stuck there. My price differential between a high effenciency AS vs the GSHP I went with was about 50%. Which would have almost been completely covered by the new federal incentive. I was just ahead of my time I guess. ROI was ten years but a recent recalculation indicated that has droped to a total of seven years. It has been in for three already so in four years it will have paid for itself. Pond loops are some of the cheapest to install.

Geothermal heat pump (GSHP) is the actual source heat pump system using a transfer to another tool. This usually refers to your system from the ground to your home. Geothermal systems use about 25-50% over conventional energy systems. Up to 70 dollars per month which is equivalent to at least 30 per month savings. With these systems, geothermal system is basically paid for a few years things themselves. After that, the savings translate into more money for the owner's pockets.

What is the surface area of the pond. If big enough, you could do a water source heat pump (wshp), which would reduce your overall cost esp if you do all the digging.

Pond water quality may be an issue, and regulation vary widely by state for pond water withdrawal (even though you are dumping it right back in.

Geo-thermal is the way to go, however if your pond ever gets low or dries up that can be an issue. If it does you might consider vertical or horizontal loops under ground.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

P.S.

Welcome to the site, glad to have you with us!

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Visit Greenbuildingtalk or Geoexchange.org for a slightly less "reprimanding" experience.

Pond sounds deep enough, but it must be reliably so. If it dries out some hot summer you could be very sorry.

Ponds can be an economic alternative to bores. Some contractors are willing to allow some sweat equity such as you describe - not being responsible for trench and regrading would save me a hassle, for sure.

Pond loop s are fabricated of rolls of tubing. Another alternative is a Slim Jim heat exchanger.

Hyper loop is the answer

I was just at a show in Indy and Waterfurnace is coming out with a new loop design that will be the envy of the industry. A pond loop is ideal due to the surface contact factors of the closed loop heat exchange. Don't put anything is until you see this new technology. I talked with the research developers and they are also going to use this type of loop for their brand new geo waterheater that will compete with the solar stuff but at half the price. With a company like WaterFurnace standing behind it, you know it will be quality

Quote Originally Posted by mstrblstr3 View Post
    I was just at a show in Indy and Waterfurnace is coming out with a new loop design that will be the envy of the industry. A pond loop is ideal due to the surface contact factors of the closed loop heat exchange. Don't put anything is until you see this new technology. I talked with the research developers and they are also going to use this type of loop for their brand new geo waterheater that will compete with the solar stuff but at half the price. With a company like WaterFurnace standing behind it, you know it will be quality
    could you elaborate on this hyper loop? I've been hearing about it and very curious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast