+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you help me?

Post Likes

Can you help me?

Can you help me find my RTU? My paper said "look for unit #39." HA! The only good thing was I knew it was a Lennox. Only about a dozen of them on the roof, the rest were Carrier. I am 6'6" and this crap was up to my nuts. This is the northern part of the Upper Michigan Peninsula.

Post Likes
    I though those where snorkels i saw in the first pick lol

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurch77 View Post
    Can you help me find my RTU? My paper said "look for unit #39." HA! The only good thing was I knew it was a Lennox. Only about a dozen of them on the roof, the rest were Carrier. I am 6'6" and this crap was up to my nuts. This is the northern part of the Upper Michigan Peninsula.
    Where in the northern part of the U.P.? Was raised up there.

Did they ask you to shovel off the roof too?

With all of the snow up there, why would they place the units on the roof? Where I was raised, they regularly get 250". I'm not surprised they are buried. Were any of them actually working?

Per your handle you're from NE Wisconsin. Sounds like north of Green Bay. If not Green Bay then Niagara, maybe?

Post Likes
    I didn't check any others than this one. And it was dead in the (frozen) water. This was in Houghton. There are a lot of RTUs up there in the UP all over. Many places have a snow blower that they keep up there. This place didn't.

Post Likes
    I didn't check any others than this one. And it was dead in the (frozen) water. This was in Houghton. There are a lot of RTUs up there in the UP all over. Many places have a snow blower that they keep up there. This place didn't.
    Went to college there. Raised 13 miles north of there where they really get snow. Seriously! Up there 25-30 miles further north can mean 100 inches more snow. If you go up north about 30 miles there is a snow gauge along US 41 that is over 30' high showing the record snowfall there at 396" in winter of 1978-79.

Where were you? On the Michigan Tech campus? On the Wal-Mart?

Post Likes
    Many places have a snow blower that they keep up there. This place didn't.
    You have to be able to find it to use it...

Post Likes
    ... Many places have a snow blower that they keep up there. This place didn't.
    Never had snow blowers when I was a kid. Used a snow scoop and shovel. Not unusual to start digging after school and still not be even close when Dad got home and helped.

The only snow blowers were on trucks that had 2 engines, one up front for locomotion and a BIG one in the back that powered the blower. They could blow the snow over your roof or through your windows if not careful. The snow plows had blades that were maybe 10' high. My brother who drove them said they could break an axle or plow blade now and then.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryd_2008 View Post
    Went to college there. Raised 13 miles north of there where they really get snow. Seriously! Up there 25-30 miles further north can mean 100 inches more snow. If you go up north about 30 miles there is a snow gauge along US 41 that is over 30' high showing the record snowfall there at 396" in winter of 1978-79.

This was on what is left of the mall there on M-26 (not many tenants in there). We do a lot of commercial work in that area. Speaking of going north, we also do work for one customer in Calumet (Also RTUs). I'm glad I didn't have to go up there this trip if what you say is true. Although I know for a fact the owner there sends employees up to shovel the roof.

Post Likes
    This was on what is left of the mall there on M-26 (not many tenants in there). We do a lot of commercial work in that area. Speaking of going north, we also do work for one customer in Calumet (Also RTUs). I'm glad I didn't have to go up there this trip if what you say is true. Although I know for a fact the owner there sends employees up to shovel the roof.
    I know where the mall is you mention. Calumet is where I was raised, up in the copper mining region. Once had 50,000 people when the mines were going strong, now maybe 5,000 in 2 towns. Had a choice to go to college or work in the mines. Mines closed a couple years after I left. Staying still might have been the better choice. Welfare and beer with lots of woods to shine deer and a bear now and then, plenty of partridge and trout/salmon too. Have to restrict trips there to once a year now and that's if I can wrestle my wife into the car and gag her. And she was born there!

Post Likes

Big deal, we regularly get over a thousand in the Cascades.

Post Likes
    Need to start using those flags they use on the fire hydrants!!

Post Likes
    If you notice in the first two picture they put wood posts next to each machine and other relevant items on the roof. I remember being there this past summer and wondering what they were for.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by seatonheating View Post
    Big deal, we regularly get over a thousand in the Cascades.
    In the mountains does not count, SH. After all who has to park the car on the 11,000' peak and shovel the driveway to get there. Locations that catch the Westerly winds off of the Great Lakes are some of the toughest places to live in the US in the winter - Buffalo comes to mind. We never had any ski lifts to get us to school, work, etc.

Lurch, if you want some of my personal recommendations for the few "good" restaurants in that area, I would be glad to provide via your profile email. Ever have a pasty?

Post Likes
    I live close to the UP border, just south of Marinette WI/Menominee MI. So Pasties are not hard to come by around here. Although there is a place in Marquette (and Ishpeming) that has ruined them for me. After eating their pasties no other one is good anymore. Lawry's. http://www.lawryspasties.com/ But if you can recommend a shop near the Houghton are that is good I am all for it. I get up there more often than I am over by Marquette.

Post Likes
    I live close to the UP border, just south of Marinette WI/Menominee MI. So Pasties are not hard to come by around here. Although there is a place in Marquette (and Ishpeming) that has ruined them for me. After eating their pasties no other one is good anymore. Lawry's. http://www.lawryspasties.com/ But if you can recommend a shop near the Houghton are that is good I am all for it. I get up there more often than I am over by Marquette.
    Decent pasties at Toni's Country Kitchen in Laurium (next to Calumet) for under $4. Great breakfast with homemade bread there and cheap. Won't eat breakfast anywhere except there unless it's closed. Pick up a dozen 4-5" peanut butter, oatmeal, raisin or spice cookies with no preservatives for under $4. Kids will love them. Loading Zone in Lake Linden - take M-26 to Calumet/Laurium instead of US 41. Hut a mile north of Calumet along US 41 has pasties and many other things. Ambassador on main drag in Houghton. The Library has food and brews own beer on road down towards canal from main drag in middle of Houghton.

Now for the real pasty lover test. Do you use gravy or ketchup on your pasty?

Post Likes
    When I was a kid we went up to Copper Harbor for vacations. I absolutely love the up. What was the name of the mountian there, sugar loaf I believe?
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas-Tech View Post
    When I was a kid we went up to Copper Harbor for vacations. I absolutely love the up. What was the name of the mountian there, sugar loaf I believe?
    Fished Lake Fanny Hoe there at Fort Wilkins in Copper Harbor many times along with the Harbor and the creek going into Lake Superior. Used to live my weekends and evenings out in the Keweenaw County where Copper Harbor is located. There's a total of only 2,500 people out in that entire county.

You mean Mountain Drive right out of Copper Harbor? They have a ski hill on the Lac La Belle Road about 10 miles back towards Calumet now.

You didn't go all the way up there from Texas, did you?

PS: See you do cycles. Ever think about coming up to the big Fayetteville Arkansas Bikes, Blues and Barbecue Event in October? 1,000's of bikes here over the 3-4 day event. As I understand there are some nice rides out into the Ozark foothills and other hilly places. They should have a web site. Check it out.

Post Likes
    Now for the real pasty lover test. Do you use gravy or ketchup on your pasty?
    Neither. I eat them plain. Wash it down with some Birch Beer soda.

Post Likes
    I live close to the UP border, just south of Marinette WI/Menominee MI. ...
    That's a long day trip to Houghton or Calumet if you go back and forth and work on units besides. Add a little snow anywhere north of Crystal Falls and a few deer herds along the way just adds interest. Do you have to draw the short straw in order to get to do that ride?

Post Likes
    No, I have to fight other guys to get it sometimes. Except in the winter. Most of the trips up there are for part or all of a week. We generally do the Marquette area for a few days then over to Houghton for a few. We go as far east as Manistique and Munising, and west to Ontonagon and Ironwood in the UP, and do the entire state of WI.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in