Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I can't imagine that you all ever sell anything but 10 seer. Seems kinda unfair that in 2 yrs everyone will have to buy 13 SEER minimum only to have to replace them every few years. Did any of you near the ocean ever use the York Survivor I think it was called with the PVC cabinets, etc. that were made for that environment?
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

I've seen this!

I was sent to Folly Beach, SC to replace and paint Armaflex insulation on suction lines for the equipment on a 128 unit condo on the beachfront. The installing sub did not apply UV inhibiting paint to the armaflex and it had rotted away after less than two years. THAT was a fun assignment! I also had to reseal the pitch pockets where the linesets came up through the roof.
    I noticed that many of the outdoor units had rotting and falling away coil fins. I was informed by the then project manager that the maintenance personnel had been informed of this possibility and were recommended they rinse the coils monthly with water at their O&M training session. Sill cocks had been installed for just this use at points on the rooftop. They did a good job with this one!
    Some of the condo owners came up on the roof where I was working and began questioning me about what was happening to the units. I told them it was from the salt air and these units had a life span of five, maybe six, years if that long. They were, understandably, unhappy.
    The wind whistling through some of those coil fin flakes can set up an interesting harmony if the wind is right.

why do these corrode like they do in that environment and not other things like cars , alluminum wheels, gutters, air planes?

Maybe this is a stupid question?
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."

Originally posted by coolwhip
    why do these corrode like they do in that environment and not other things like cars , alluminum wheels, gutters, air planes?

Maybe this is a stupid question?
    No question is stupid!

If you ask me it lookslike there located on a beach front property.

Anything metal exposed to the extremes of humid salty air and and constant sand blasting will corrode much faster than normall. You may not realize it or see it where your located but it happens. We do a lot of Jersey shore RTU's and I've seen many condensor's and evaps look just like that. Even though they are 40' off of the ground.

Sometimes when I consider what tremendous consequences come from little things, I am tempted to think there are no little things!

Everything corrodes on the ocean, should have snapped a pic of the electric meter base on that building, what happens to the coils is galvanic corrosion, where the copper touches the aluminum is where it occurs and the fins just fall off.

Havent seen the York units but Carrier and Bryant make a unit for Coastal applications that seems to do pretty well.

Replace all those units with a "TRANE"!

Originally posted by 2hot2coolme
    Replace all those units with a "TRANE"!
    Tranes are just as bad. They get pinholes in the aluminum tubing and the compressor fittings rust through in 5 years. Bryant Coastguard is the best that I have found. The old Goodmans with the painted coils held up better than any other standard unit.

That blows my mind when I see those pictures, I'm from the MidWest and the closest thing I've seen to that is when a HO's dog somehow views the condenser as a tree.
    I remember going to Trane dealer meetings and they would show us pictures of units that get eaten up by the seacoast and they would claim that Trane would withstand those extremities, I don't know for how long though.
    Whatever HVAC Co. that's around there must stay pretty busy.

Its is true the Trane coil does not separate like the copper/aluminum coils do, but, they are more prone to leaks, the TVX heads rust out and leak, the steel mufflers rust out and leak, the compressor roto locks are also a problem area

Another problem is the coil does not support the top, so when the cabinet rusts out the top sags, Ive even had to use pvc pipe to prop up a unit to limp it through a weekend, so basically no unit last long enough to wear out near the ocean, so why pay twice the cost for a Trane that wont last much, if any longer...Just my $0.02

Oh, I believe you, I mean you've got the first hand view at these units. Job security, gotta love it!
    Guess that's one of the reasons it's expensive to have OceanFront property. Probably a drop in the bucket for the owner though.

Not.

I heard all the horror stories on the Trane units dying on the beach. The guy I worked for condemned them every chance he got. Thought it was funny that Trane units beside the ones he condemned were still there when we came back to replace the Carrier replacement units which did fall apart, coils, driers, accumulators.
    It takes quite alot to have the Trane cabinet rust to the point it falls on the coils. I'm not fond of the idea the coil should hold up the top of the unit. I've seen alot of corrosion over the life of all units common here, thats what determines what I'll use.

SoooUhhh...Whattaugonnause

I say get rid of the condensor all together. Replace it with water to air!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast