It's not about oil where have you been we don't get oil from these people Your a real fart smeller I mean a smart fellar.
Most of our oil comes from offshore rigs and Alaska. We don't need their oil they are too stupid to be able to market THEIR oil let alone to get it out of the ground without our help. These people are still in the dark ages
What we would call retarded in our country.
After doing a little research, we get about 12-13% of our oil from the Persian Gulf region. We are pretty much self-sufficient on energy, except for oil, of which we import about half of what we use.
and yet another reason
Updated: 09:13 AM EDT
TV Footage Shows Prisoner With U.S. Accent
BAGHDAD, Iraq (April 10) - TV pictures on Saturday showed Iraqi insurgents holding a foreigner, apparently American, prisoner in a car after fighting outside Baghdad the day before, the latest in a rash of kidnappings of foreigners in Iraq during this week's violence.
The prisoner, who spoke with a southern American accent and was apparently wounded in the arm, spoke to a cameraman from the back seat of a car with a masked gunman next to him, on the main highway on Baghdad's western edge where fighting took place Friday.
The footage was apparently filmed Friday. The prisoner identified himself to the cameraman from Australia's ABC television, and said he was part of a convoy that was attacked.
The car then drove off down the highway with him still in the back seat, passing a burning tanker truck on the road. The prisoner wore what appeared to be a light flak jacket of the sort worn by private security guards, who are often contracted to protect convoys.
Gunmen attacked a fuel convoy Friday in Abu Ghreib on the main highway outside Baghdad, setting a tanker on fire and killing one U.S. soldier and an Iraqi driver.
Insurgents elsewhere in Iraq have kidnapped three Japanese, a Canadian and an Arab from Jerusalem. Those holding the Japanese have threatened to kill them unless Tokyo withdraws its troops from Iraq by Sunday, a demand Japan's prime minister has refused.
A British citizen and two German security officials from their country's embassy in Baghdad are also missing, though it is not known if they have been kidnapped.
04/10/04 07:42 EDT
Maybe the Japs will Nuke Em
As you know, Japan was willing to die to the last person for their country and emperor. It took TWO nuclear bombs AND
Originally posted by bb
Maybe the Japs will Nuke Em
the capitulation of their emperor for them to surrender. And these crazies think they can back them down? Maybe Spain, but not Japan or Germany(unless they think it is in their interests)
In case we would forget
[Edited by rob10 on 04-11-2004 at 10:42 PM]
"Nuclear war begins, I believe, in our hearts. And that is where it must end." - Raymond C. Hunthausen
Wipe out the locals and spare our guys
Rumsfeld: Iraq Toll Higher Than Expected
Pentagon to Extend Tours for 20,000 Troops
By JOHN J. LUMPKIN, AP
WASHINGTON (April 16) - Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said Thursday that the death toll of U.S. troops in recent fighting in Iraq was higher than he had expected, acknowledging a change in plans as he announced thousands of soldiers won't be coming home as early as promised.
Rumsfeld described a decision to keep some 20,000 troops inside Iraq longer than originally planned, telling reporters at the Pentagon: ''I certainly would not have estimated that we would have had the number of individuals lost that we have had lost in the last week.''
Halfway through April, the month already is the deadliest of the war for the United States, with 88 U.S. soldiers killed in a surge of violence coming from multiple insurgent factions inside the country. Hundreds of Iraqis have been killed.
The violence has prompted generals in Iraq to seek more combat power than they had originally planned, and the most convenient source will be the units scheduled to rotate home after yearlong tours.
The decision to keep more troops there breaks a promise to soldiers who were assured they would stay no more than one year. By extending their tours of duty by up to three months, the Pentagon is acknowledging that the insurgency has ruined its plans to reduce the size of the U.S. military presence this spring.
President Bush, speaking at a symposium in Iowa, also acknowledged the difficulties.
''The situation on the ground, I readily concede, is tough work,'' Bush said. ''We've got good people there working it, and some have paid the highest price of all.''
Those staying include two brigades from the 1st Armored Division, based in Germany, said Gen. Peter Pace, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, totaling as many as 14,000 troops. An additional 2,800 soldiers are from the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment, based in Fort Polk, La. These are forces geared for heavy ground combat, with tanks and armored Bradley Fighting Vehicles.
The rest include Army National Guard and Reserve units from 20 states, Pace said. Most are military police, engineer and transportation units, according to the Pentagon.
A few soldiers from the 1st Armored had already left. They will have to go back to Iraq, Army generals said.
Should the heightened violence last beyond 90 days and into summer, new units will be rotated into Iraq to take their place, Rumsfeld said. Officials did not specify which units those might be.
An uprising by followers of militant Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr in southern Iraq, coupled with heavy fighting between Marines and Sunni fighters in the restive Fallujah region west of Baghdad, has led to concerns of wider resistance to the U.S. occupation in advance of the scheduled June 30 transfer of power to an Iraqi government.
The United States has a total of about 137,000 troops in Iraq now, Rumsfeld said. That number was supposed to have decreased to 115,000 by May, but Rumsfeld said Gen. John Abizaid, the overall commander of the Iraq war, decided he needs to keep the force level at about 135,000 troops.
Some critics have asserted throughout the U.S. occupation of Iraq that the military had too few troops on the ground to stabilize the country and assure its economic and political rebuilding.
Pace rejected such criticism, saying generals request the firepower they need but know that having too many soldiers risks increasing local resentment.
While extending tours of soldiers in Iraq is not unprecedented, it is done with great reluctance because of concern about morale.
Gen. George Casey, the Army vice chief of staff, told reporters Thursday that he believes these soldiers accept that their first obligation is to succeed in the mission.
''Everybody's disappointed,'' he said. ''Does it create morale problems? Depends on the strength of the unit. These guys will always place the mission first. Every soldier understands that.''
At a Baghdad news conference Thursday, Gen. Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, was asked whether the troop extensions indicate plans for large-scale offensive operations. He did not answer directly, saying the move was deemed necessary given ''extremist and terrorist acts that must be dealt with.''
The Army is so stretched by its commitments in Iraq, Afghanistan, the Balkans and elsewhere that it has few, if any, forces immediately available to substitute in Iraq for the 1st Armored or 2nd Armored Cavalry.
Also, these units have been heavily involved in one of the most important U.S. military missions there: training thousands of Iraqi security forces. Those Iraqi army and civil defense corps members are central to the Pentagon's plan for eventually turning over military control to the Iraqis and pulling out U.S. troops.
BAGHDAD, Iraq (April 16) - The Arab television station Al-Jazeera aired footage Friday showing a 20-year-old U.S. soldier captured by insurgents, apparently unharmed and surrounded by five masked men holding automatic rifles.
The soldier, wearing camouflage and a floppy desert hat, is shown sitting on the floor as he identifies himself.
"My name is Keith Matthew Maupin. I am a soldier from the 1st Division," he is heard saying in the video. "I am married with a 10-month-old child. I came to liberate Iraq, but I did not come willingly because I wanted to stay with my child."
Maupin, of Batavia, Ohio, and another soldier, Sgt. Elmer C. Krause, 40, of Greensboro, N.C., were listed as missing after their convoy was attacked April 9 outside Baghdad, amid a wave of kidnappings targeting foreigners. Both soldiers were assigned to the Army Reserve's 724th Transportation Company, based at Bartonville, Ill.
He is the second American and first U.S. serviceman known to be kidnapped by insurgents fighting the U.S.-led coalition since the end of war.
Maupin looked scared and glanced downward occasionally during the tape. The gunmen, their faces covered by keffiyeh scarves, stayed behind him, in contrast to footage aired on Al-Jazeera last week of three Japanese hostages in which their kidnappers held knives to their throats as they screamed. The Japanese, two aid workers and a journalist, were freed unharmed.
On the tape, one of the gunmen was heard saying: "We are keeping him to be exchanged for some of the prisoners captured by the occupation forces."
"Some of our groups managed to capture one of the American soldiers, and he is one of many others. He is being treated according to the treatment of prisoners in the Islamic religion and he is in good health," the gunman said.
Earlier Friday, three Czech journalists and a Syrian-Canadian aid worker were freed by their captors and new kidnappings were reported of a man from the United Arab Emirates and a Danish businessman, the latest in a wave of abductions accompanying violence in Iraq.
The Arab man was pulled from his hotel by gunmen disguised as police in the southern city of Basra on Thursday night, according to Iraqi police official Col. Khalaf al-Maliki and the hotel's owner.
Raw Video of Aired Tape
The victim was carrying a passport from the United Arab Emirates that had U.S. travel stamps in it, leading to incorrect early reports that he was American, al-Maliki said.
The three Czechs had been missing since Sunday after checking out of their hotel to leave for Jordan by taxi.
"We all are in good condition," reporter Vit Pohanka told Czech Radio from the Czech Embassy in Baghdad, speaking along with Czech Television reporter Michal Kubal and cameraman Petr Klima.
After being held northwest of Baghdad, the Czechs were brought to the outskirts of the city Friday, and took a taxi to the Czech Embassy, Pohanka said.
Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin said in Toronto that Iraqi militants have released a Syrian-Canadian aid worker Fadi Fadel, who was abducted in the southern city of Najaf on April 7.
The Syrian-born Fadel, 33, talked to his family in Montreal on Friday.
Talk About It
"He said, `Hi mom. I'm out. I'm coming back. I'm OK,'" Roueida Fadel told the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.'s French language network. Her son had been working for the New York City-based International Rescue Committee.
A Chinese citizen also was released Friday, two days after being taken captive, said Muthanna Harith, a member of the Islamic Clerics Committee, the highest Sunni organization in Iraq. There had been no public reports of the Chinese man being taken.
The clerics' committee had also successfully helped free three Japanese civilians Thursday. That same day, however, an Italian security guard was killed in captivity.
The Danish Foreign Ministry did not identify the Dane who was reported kidnapped.
"A Danish national likely is being held back in Iraq," the Danish Foreign Ministry said in a statement from Copenhagen. "No Iraqis or Iraqi groups have contacted Danish authorities."
Danish television station DR-1 reported that the victim was a businessman in his 30s working on a sewage project in Iraq. The man was traveling from Basra to Baghdad when he was taken captive in Taji, 20 miles north of Baghdad, DR-1 said.
Denmark, which backed the U.S.-led war to oust Saddam Hussein, has 410 troops in Basra and nearby Qurnah, 250 miles southeast of Baghdad. There are also a dozen Danish police officers in Basra.
Around two dozen foreigners have been abducted in the past week. The kidnappings have coincided with intense violence around the country and most are believed to have been carried out by anti-U.S. insurgents.
At least 17 foreigners, according to an Associated Press count, remain unaccounted for following a wave of abductions that accompanied the worst violence Iraq has seen since the U.S.-led invasion on March 20, 2003.
American experts are working to determine whether four bodies discovered west of Baghdad were the remains of private U.S. contractors missing since the April 9 convoy attack.
One of the missing Thomas Hamill, a 43-year-old truck driver from Mississippi is known to have been abducted.
I say we change the name of iraq and declare it a state of the US. How'd that be?
A few good bombs would be a nice precurser to a New Nevada, complete with pre-made glass roads and holes to be filled with water. Maybe a casino or two.
Now we're talkin'
Originally posted by bb
Maybe a casino or two.