Clogged Shell and tube exchanger

We have a Old York chiller with a shell and Tube exchanger. Over the years it has had poor water treatment and is now clogged with rust. Does anyone know how to unclog this mess. We even took the end plates off and could not get it. Help!

Is it a flooded or dx barrel? I'm guessing it is the condenser your having problems with.

It is the chilled water side and it is flooded.

Ok let's go this route. Does the water go thru the tubes or around the tubes?
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Around it

Model number would help. If its a DX barrell probably be easier to replace it if its that fouled. Chemical cleaning may help.

What ends did you take off? The refrigerant circuit heads?
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

Describe what you were able to see when you took the endplates off?
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Sorry, I just noticed I wrote flooded but it is a DX. When I take the end plates off I see the tubing bundles that a filled with R22. This is the evap.

Like Abs said DX is hard to clean up. Maybe talk to your chemical treatment co. and see if they can recommend a chemical that will break the debris loose and not do any other damage.

Do you have the model and serial numbers?

Like Chillerguy said it’s probably worth while seeing if the chemical guys have a shock dosage and then follow up dosages to try soften up the scale.

Water treatment if like insurance you can’t see the benefits till you don’t have it.

Did a different brand long ago . Isolated the water side and fabbed a temporary recirc loop . we went 15% acid to start and dropped 5% till done .We spent 3 days Went thru some hell but got improvement .The boss even made us use a non rotating hammer drill over a striker plate to impart vibration and supposedly help the process . For the effort and time it would have beeen best to get a new barrel but it wasnt what the boss wanted. Water treatment shouldnt be shortchanged .Good luck !