Thread: Aprilaire 600 Humdifier Solenoid Issue

Post Likes

Aprilaire 600 Humdifier Solenoid Issue

Hi,

I have a customer with this humdifier. The solenoid is connected to the 24 volt humdifier terminals on the Bryant furnace. The circuit tests at 24 volts on my multimeter.

I have disconnected the downstream line from the solenoid so I can see the water flowing out when the solenoid opens.

The issues is that the solenoid will only stay fully open for 3-5 seconds, then it partly closes and the water flow is reduced to a trickle. Even after the water flow is reduced, the circuit still tests at 24 volts.

I have replaced the solenoid and I get the same result.

I am not sure what to check next!

Post Likes
    Is the customer you.
    And is this your Bryant VS furnace that you were asking how to connect up DIY back in 08.

Post Likes
    Check your

Let him call a contractor, instead of giving DIY instructions.
    Last edited by beenthere; 02-14-2010 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Removed DIY advise

Post Likes
    He is a DIYer. He is not in the trade.

Questions and discussions pertaining to HVAC for the home. No pricing, no DIY, Thank You.

Please read Site Rules Thank you.

Post Likes
    Thanks, beenthere for editing that post. I am a tech but new to this site and didn't know the history on variableguy. I fuly agree, call a professional and get it fixed right instead of just throwing parts at it.

Post Likes
    For future reference.
    Click on a posters name, and either view their profile. Or click to find more of their post. And read a few of them. You can usually tell from that then.

Post Likes
    Thanks

Post Likes
    I think you guys are being a little to harsh? Should'nt A home owner be able to perform basic system maintenance themselves? without needing to call a proffesional in. Do you expect them to call to have their furnace filter replaced? The answer is probably no. TCome on guys! An educated consumer is my best customer.
    Last edited by Stamas; 02-15-2010 at 09:01 AM. Reason: DIY

Post Likes
    "2. Do-It-Yourself (DIY) - not here.

This site is for industry professionals and folks seeking HVAC/R advice and knowledge. Please do not ask for step by step instructions on purchasing, installing or repairing your own equipment. This is our job and our livelihood. We are generous, but not to a fault.

Questions of this type will not be answered and may be deleted at the discretion of the Moderators. "

It was the way the site was set up. Never intended to be a DIY site. Helpful for a lot of people that come here but it is a trade site.

Post Likes

Little Things and Big Things

I have learned something here that goes way beyond how to trouble shoot a $40 solenoid on a humdifier.

I read the board rules at it says something about being generally helpful to DIY personnel but not providing specific instructions that could create liability.

Yes, this is my own furnace I am not in the trade. I have been unemployed and I was just looking for an answer.

The attitude of the people on this board that are "in the trade" is shocking and frustrating. It will only cause me to try do DIY even more in the future. And like most unhappy customers, I will tell this story to all of my friends. You people are crapping in your own nest.

I can only hope that the "trade" people on this board use as much energy with their paying customers as they do trying to punish a DIY person. Why am I a DIY person? Because of the poor service and attitiude of trade people that I have paid in the past...and the attitudes on this board only reinforce this.

Perhaps an example from the legal profession would help you "trade" people here. Attorneys sell their time and knowlege. When they get a question from a DIY person, do they tell them to stick it where the sun does not shine? No! Their approach is to provide information to the customer. That is why you see newsletters..they provide general information about a topic. Then the customer will determine if they need value added help from a professional, or whether they might DIY. Maybe HVAC trade people are insecure because they feel that they do not add value so they try to hide simple tips from the DIY. That is absolutely the wrong approach. In every profession..medicine, HVAC, legal, auto repair...you name it...there are certain things that the customer will try to DIY. The right approach is to draw them in by providing information, not trying to withhold basic information that they can easily find elsewhere.

I am 52 years old and I have never seen an attitude like I have seen on this board.

Dont worry, I will not be back. And the next time I think I might need a trade person, I will try extra hard to DIY. You have convinced me of that!

Post Likes
    hooray. another diyer that won't bother coming here.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcoolj View Post
    TCome on guys! An educated consumer is my best customer.
    So you like customers that lie to you.

Call you on the phone and tell you "they" have a customer, and "they" are working on this customers whatever.

The OP knew the rules, and tried to pretend he is in the trade to get an answer.

So you like deceptive customers, huh.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamas View Post
    "2. Do-It-Yourself (DIY) - not here.

This site is for industry professionals and folks seeking HVAC/R advice and knowledge. Please do not ask for step by step instructions on purchasing, installing or repairing your own equipment. This is our job and our livelihood. We are generous, but not to a fault.

Questions of this type will not be answered and may be deleted at the discretion of the Moderators. "

It was the way the site was set up. Never intended to be a DIY site. Helpful for a lot of people that come here but it is a trade site.

Try again.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by variableguy View Post
    I have learned something here that goes way beyond how to trouble shoot a $40 solenoid on a humdifier.

I read the board rules at it says something about being generally helpful to DIY personnel but not providing specific instructions that could create liability.

Yes, this is my own furnace I am not in the trade. I have been unemployed and I was just looking for an answer.

The attitude of the people on this board that are "in the trade" is shocking and frustrating. It will only cause me to try do DIY even more in the future. And like most unhappy customers, I will tell this story to all of my friends. You people are crapping in your own nest.

I can only hope that the "trade" people on this board use as much energy with their paying customers as they do trying to punish a DIY person. Why am I a DIY person? Because of the poor service and attitiude of trade people that I have paid in the past...and the attitudes on this board only reinforce this.

First of all, being untruthful & dishonest doesn't make you look very good either. Those of us "trade" guys have had formal training and field experience that has given us the knowledge to do this job. Do you think we get our school/training for free? This is how we feed our families and put a roof over our heads, why should we give away our expertise & take money out of our pockets. You keep doing your DIY thing. When you completely screw things up on your own, it'll cost you twice as much to reverse your mistakes and have it fixed properly by a professional. Trying to compare us with lawyers is like comparing apples to oranges, two totally different things. Nobody is punishing you, you just failed to read and/or understand the site rules.

Post Likes
    We've Our share of messed up jobsites that were done by DIY guys. At any rate I wish you luck sir.
    Last edited by tombeaux; 02-15-2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: D

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in