Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Am I right to be upset???

I have been a tech for 15 years. I have been with my current employer for 3 years now. I feel as if I was hired to clean up after installers. I am the only service tech and I have alot on my plate dealing with all our service customers. So when I show up to perform a startup on say 50 units I do not have time to clean up other peoples mistakes. Recently, the issues I am finding on jobs are:

1. using pipe dope on flare fitting because they are leaking.
    2. installing hot water valves and using temporary epoxy to fix the badly soldered joints.
    3. installing 3 way hot water valves backwards.
    4. cutting econimizer damper blades because they cant properly assemble it to the RTU.
    5. not labeling t-stat wires as to what goes where ( smoke, rtu, stat )
    6. no oil traps on split systems on 2-4 story buildings.
    7. installing air handlers where they are not serviceable

any good tech can see what issues you are going to have if not caught and repaired properly. I could go on and on about the crap I deal with everyday for the past 3 years. In my experience this is stuff installers should know especially the foreman. Its apart of the installation process. But everytime I have to chew some overpaid dumbass out, they look at me like Im wrong. I confront my boss and his reply is I need you to takecare of this stuff because your the only one I can depend on. WTF. Am I being a cry baby or am I right to be pissed.

u have a right..when i run into this stuff i document it on the start up, then call the boss and tell him i will be an extra day..dont call me with service calls (i am in the same boat only service tech) then i get the why is that, i must be able to call u...just start listing crap wrong in a technical way and not in a way others feel is *****ing. I have had had to go back because unit was not working..boss says why does it not work..i simply ask them to look back at the start up sheets.

Be happy mate! they are providing you with job security, dealing with residential customers is much worst than dealing with yahoo installers,you have a steady paycheck thanks to those installers, just document everything, that way start ups taking too long are not blamed on you.

Like the other said be happy and pissed at the same time it sucks.

I see your point of have job security and a steady paycheck. but what if they are always over budget over hours and actually paying out of the company pocket to complete the job. Well then the job security and paycheck can go away fast right... thanks for the input. I do see your point and have thought the same.

Thats funny everything you list I have seen,and more,and many times.How about 4 split units,the fitters piped in with no tx valves.The units were started,and the guy did not pick this up.The units ran for weeks,with many service calls.When customer complained,he was told it was a design problem causing the A/C not to work properly

Quote Originally Posted by so cal tech View Post
    I see your point of have job security and a steady paycheck. but what if they are always over budget over hours and actually paying out of the company pocket to complete the job. Well then the job security and paycheck can go away fast right... thanks for the input. I do see your point and have thought the same.
    That's how the last company I worked for doing commercial went belly up. everything they installed went over budget,,LOL and I was the only service guy, what you describe ,that's exactly what I went through.

I'm in the same boat as you...1 service tech supporting a bunch of contract projects. I actually have a guy under me so now we're a " division " , lol.

1) I explained to my boss that any re-pipe work that I perform is costing him 2 times over. He already paid someone to pipe it wrong.

2) These " job formen " ...this is THIER job , not mine. Some of these guys make more than I do , piping mistakes are THIER'S to correct. If they can't pipe a three way valve correctly than maybe I need to make more , become a project manager , whatever. Not every probelm can be MY problem.

3) Refrigerant piping issues ... you have these " medical gas certified " fitters...they can do this. I'll size it and stop by to answer questions but no need for me to assume this work while these guys are on board.

4) Control wiring ... I'll bet that you do more than your fair share. I believe everyone should get paid for thier work ...( I have more to say on this but don't want to make anyone mad...PM me for further comments on this ). All of this can be settled during the bid process.

5) And when the economy is tight be the guy who is ready to " spring into action " and take care of anything needed to be done , lol.

if you're in southern California and you have a regular paying job as an AC tech, then you need to do what ever you can to keep that job.

companies out here have no respect for AC technicians and everything is turning into replacement.

Wanna move to Texas and be a real service tech?
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

If you feel comfortable with it, maybe you can offer to do some morning or afternoon training for the install guys to make them a little more self-sufficient and profitable as a result, and allow you to go back out and be a service tech. instead of putting out fires.

I see it here also. Some of these problem start from the top.

It used to bother me also. But some days that is what keeps me busy. I document everything in a non accusing way on the service report and move on.

Only bothers me now is when I have stuff planned for after work and I'm cleaning up after the install department. When it cuts into personal time it gets personal. Sometime you have to say no in this circumstance and that will get the bosses attention.

My boss is usually on top of things. He gets an e-mail when the answering service pages us. Lately if it's an install problem he will call the installer. It's amazing how these types of calls after hours have disappeared. Seems to matter when it's someone else's personal time being compromised.

You've been doing this long enough to know you need to be willing to do anything the company asks of you. And it goes a lot better when you don't cause grief for the office. Think of it mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    Wanna move to Texas and be a real service tech?
    I do. You got a job for me.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast