Thread: Relocating a furnace

Post Likes

Question Relocating a furnace

I am planning to have my basement finished and want to maximize living space. There are two handlers in in the middle of the basement about 6 feet apart (both about 4 years old). The larger one is for the main level while the smaller unit is for the sunroom, also on the main level. I want to move the the smaller unit closer to the larger one so that I can enclose both in a utility room. I have a few questions and would appreciate any advice from the experts.

1. Is it advisable to even move a system? even a short distance?
    2. Will the efficiency be affected?
    3. Is the cost based on an hourly labor rate? if so, roughly how many hours?
    4. Any general advice on contractors?
    5. Any other info I may need to be successful?

Much appreciated,
    VAboy

Post Likes
    best thing would be to call a couple hvac contractors and let them look at it and give you a price.

for us something like that would normally be a quoted price not t & m.

don't see how it would hurt the efficiency as long as there is room for the proper ducting.

you will have to decide after getting prices if it is worth it.

Post Likes
    Before you move existing equipment you will want to find out the load calc for your basement addition and determine if existing units can support it. You don't want to spend the money moving one and find out it needed to be sized differently, and end up replacing the one you moved.
    Or if you end up putting one in for just the basement, you'll want a bigger mechanical room.
    BTW. Basement loads are minimal compared to the rest of the house.

Post Likes

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by motodreams1 View Post
    Before you move existing equipment you will want to find out the load calc for your basement addition and determine if existing units can support it. You don't want to spend the money moving one and find out it needed to be sized differently, and end up replacing the one you moved.
    Or if you end up putting one in for just the basement, you'll want a bigger mechanical room.
    BTW. Basement loads are minimal compared to the rest of the house.
    Dito on the load calc. Moving the system is usually not a problem as long as there is room for the duckwork. A good pro can help you out and get the ball Rollin. Good luck.
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    If the units are only 4 years old and you know and don't have a problem with the original installer why not call them in to work on the equipment and installation that they already know?
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in