Why won't my TECs talk?

Help! Im new to the site, but come with 17+ years in the automation business. Im just getting back in after being out for a couple of years and Ive got 4 ABB freq drives that are kicking my tail. Ive been lurking on the site for a while, but have not seen this kind of problem yet.

These VFDs are tied to a Siemens MEC via a P1 FLN network line. For some reason the VFDs all show up as failed points. Ive checked the wiring, their addresses, their communication configurations, and reset both the drives and the panel to no avail. I even went so far as to swap out the MEC with another one on site, but the problem persists.

During my trials, I have seen occasional communications restoration (most of the failed drives show back up as normal for a while), but the victory is short lived. My last effort included deleting the drives from the system profile (Insight 3.8) and re-adding them to see if that would kick-start some talking. At this point, Im hoping that someone out there may have a suggestion to offer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Check the system check mode .., Maybe one of your ambient temp sensors is set to high or to low or malfunctioning ..,or if possible the situation could be equipment related and not in your system .., I've had situation in which the VFD itself was bad.
    "Rock-n-Roll " Ain't noise pollution..

Just a shot in the dark

Does anyone here think it could related to the VFD in terms of a floating ground, no ground, or comm wire too close to VFD (high voltage) wires? Additionally, should the shield be connected at one end or both? If one of the four drive was recently replaced & one of these issues (or similar) is in play, could it drag the whole group down?

Just a thought.
    All my leon freaked out!

Baud Rate???
    UA Local 141

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by berg2666 View Post
    Baud Rate???
    SLOW IT DOWN FIRST & GIVE IT A SHOT !

"Rock-n-Roll " Ain't noise pollution..

I have done a few ABB drive with P1 communication. If it is addressed correctly with the correct application and the baud rate is correct, you shouldn't have any problems. ABB is one of the easiest third party VFD's to integrate. Good luck. The correct application for an ACH 550 is 2734. Also verify jumpers J2 and J5 are off.

tie each vfd in 1 at a time. you may have to set some sort of end of line switch on the vfd to indicate the last vfd. which abb vfd's do you have, they have the eclipse w/ bypass and then they have the standard drive. also make sure that the address in each vfd in not the same, you know they defualt at 1. i don't know what version of insight you have but when you build the tec in insight DO NOT put in the application and let it auto applicate. just a few tips

Temp Repair

Get a known "good" TEC. Install about two feet of wire on new TEC, remove existing bad LAN and install good TEC with two feet of wire. If that works you have issues with "bad" P1 network. If that doesn't work the issue is with MEC. As you can see it cost nothing but time to perform this test....good luck!

Wanted to post my reolution...

Guys, your ideas and suggestions were great. We seemed to try all of them at one time or another, but I wanted to leave a note for anyone else who encountered the same issues. When we added one drive at a time, we found we had bad communication on one VFD. Turns out this lone drive was pulling the whole trunk down because we were picking up induced noise from a nearby high voltage feed. Once we isolated the control wire away from it, we were back in business!