+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Castille pellet stove nuisance shut downs

Post Likes

Confused Castille pellet stove nuisance shut downs

I'm knew to this forum, which looks like the best forum on the net for pellet stove owners to trouble shoot problems. I have a 1st generation Castille stove - a 2001 model I believe - that first began to have intermittent shut down problems after the initial pellet ignition, and now it happens at every start up. The thermostat kicks on and the ignitor fires the initial pellet dump w/ no probs, but it won't reach the 200 degree temp necessary to turn the green light on on my control box (older model gray non-opaque style box). If I preload an extra hand full of pellets before the thermostat kicks on and dumps the usual feed of pellet, or if I hit the reset button as the flames begin to die down, then there is enough flame to reach the 200 degree temp that turns on the green control box light, and then the auger cycle feeds as normal. It feeds and burns fine until the thermostat kicks it off, and then the problem repeats again at the next start-up.

I know many pellet probs are cleaning related, so I cleaned the flue, heat exchanger, vacuum hose and nipple, the auger feed and hopper, and the igniter opening w/ no resolution to my start up probs. I've narrowed it down to either the thermocouple or my control box going bad, both of which are original parts on this stove. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks for any advice anyone can offer me.

Post Likes
    hi i have the same stove i beleive.try adjust feed rate,check your iom manual. if that does not do it then maybe t-couple is bad. had a similiar problem and adjusted my feed rate and it has worked fine ever since. they are great stoves.

Post Likes

Cool TC

Ensure the ceramic sheath protecting the thermocouple is fully engaged onto the TC. Make sure the clamp holds this cover in place. Make sure the TC is out over the fire. Make sure the vent doesn't need sweeping.

If this doesn't solve it, call a tech.

The first steps are well within a homeowner's realm of routine maintenance. Other than that, we can't say more do to site rules on DIY advice.

HTH,

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in