Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Noisy Waterfurnace Compressor Envision

I recently installed a Envision Water Furnace 4 ton.There is a loud compressor hum that seem to transmit into the walls and then into rooms especially above the unit. It is particularly noisy on the stage 2 and 3 heat cycle. The was no room for a flexible collar on out plenum. The noise upstairs is almost the same as downstairs and I have put ROLUX noise insulation above the unit but this did not seem to make a difference.
    My question is if this is normal or is this being caused by the fact that the vibration noise is traveling into the heat duct and being sent around my house and in the walls.
    Any ideas how to quiet it down?
    Photos : http://picasaweb.google.com/jake3557/Waterfurnace#
    Thanks
    Joe

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/images/smilies/anyone.gif

Look for shipping bolts/packing.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

could compressor bolts have been tightened by mfg for shipping and not
    loosened prior to start up ??? not familar w that make...
    could a flex connector be installed at plenum to main trunk if you cut back the
    trunkline ???

No I checked that, most times it seems normal but when the DHW light is flashing it seem to generates the most noise/vibration, like the compressor is labouring. Thanks

I was thinking I could support the plenum by the joist to lift it off the unit about 1/2 inch and put a small gasket material to fill the gap. Not sure it this would really make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Milk man View Post
    Look for shipping bolts/packing.

Ditto, we've put in a ton of these things and it has to be the quietest package gshp I've ever seen.

If it's equipment related I would look for the shipping bolt.
    If it's airflow noise it might be a duct issue.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

The shipping bolts are out. The return plenum is insulated with a flex collar however the heat plenum is not insulated and it sits on the unit with no flex collar. The pipe holders from the DHW are screwed into my joist which seems to sent the vibration into the walls. I have vaulted ceilings up from the unit and it just seems to echo. Any chance that these two items are causing the compressor noise I hear?
    Thanks

couldnt hurt to explore those possibilities..

i had a problem with water furnace sending the wrong size txv it made the compressor slug mostly when the dhw light was on.

I would physically disconnect the DSH lines at the unit and recheck noise issue.

jake3557,

We have read through your comments regarding the noise coming from your unit. Please provide us with the model number, serial number, and the name of your installing contractor so that we may look into your inquiry further.

WaterFurnace International, Inc.

Hi
    Thanks for the responses! I appreciate the input and will post developments.
    The contractor came and insulated the plenum and supported it from above to get it off the furnace which seemed to make a difference. The unit has 2 comp blankets and insulation above and around, put rubber around the hangers for the DSH pipe. Most of the noise now seems to be coming from around the coils.
    Is it true that some compressors are louder than others or is there some significance to a loud compressor?
    I am not sure if the noise has anything to do with the fact that there is a wrench and light flashing on the Stat when Aux is called. But the contractor is talking with WF tech support to track down that problem. This seems to have started on the day of the final check Jan 27.
    Will let you know of any new developments.

Joe

http://picasaweb.google.com/jake3557/Waterfurnace#

Model: WDV049A111CTR
    Ser#: 090500922

Aux heat Strip

Does anybody know when wiring the Aux heat is it suppose to be on a separate breaker or together with the fan or does it matter?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast