Carrier 50BJ064-600

Carrier 50BJ064-600

We have several of these Carrier units, over 20 yrs. old that constantly loose compressors due to slugging. When we took over the account there were several pumps installed in the liquid line? We have removed them replaced TXV's and still get slugging. Anyone have experience with these units?

Quote Originally Posted by honesty & integ View Post
    We have several of these Carrier units, over 20 yrs. old that constantly loose compressors due to slugging. When we took over the account there were several pumps installed in the liquid line? We have removed them replaced TXV's and still get slugging. Anyone have experience with these units?
    Pumps ? Explain more please.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

They were pumps installed on the liquid line of the system. i do not know what for. They were not in use when we took over. The freon would just travel through them? We have since removed them (over two years ago) and the units are back to the original configuration. But still having problems.

I think they might have used the pumps to get some cheaper cooling when the condenser water was really cold.Someone probably engineerd this themselves I didn`t find any info on it . Does it have the economiser coil on it ? What kind of problems are you having ?
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

What are your operating pressures and ambients , subcooling / superheat . Do you have unloaders on the Compressors) , does the schematics show oem condenser fan pressure switches/motor masters ?

Quote Originally Posted by honesty & integ View Post
    My suggest is to install liquid line solenoid valves on both circuits. And also install a non-recyclying pump-down control circuit on them also.

You probably lost more on 2nd stage compressor than 1st stage ?? Correct??

The pumps, if installed in the refrigerant liquid line and actually pumping refrigerand were "LPA" or "Liquid Pressure Amplification". This compensates for long liquid lines or high vertical rises or most other factors that cause a loss of subcooling.

When any system sluggs liquid, you must find out why.
    I have found everything form oil logged evap coils due to improper piping, over sized txv's- especially when the compressor runs unloaded, air flow issues, improper nozzel selection, improper external equalizer/ bulb locations- especially on split or intertwined coils and much, much more.

LL solenoids and one time pump out is important too.

We need more info to help.

Quote Originally Posted by davo View Post
    The pumps, if installed in the refrigerant liquid line and actually pumping refrigerand were "LPA" or "Liquid Pressure Amplification". This compensates for long liquid lines or high vertical rises or most other factors that cause a loss of subcooling.

When any system sluggs liquid, you must find out why.
    I have found everything form oil logged evap coils due to improper piping, over sized txv's- especially when the compressor runs unloaded, air flow issues, improper nozzel selection, improper external equalizer/ bulb locations- especially on split or intertwined coils and much, much more.

LL solenoids and one time pump out is important too.

We need more info to help.

BINGO you hit the nail on the head.

Go to the "Refrigeration and Icemaking" forum and read the opening post of the first thread, started by market tech. Then come back here and ask your question again. It should help a lot in getting the answer that you want.

Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    Go to the "Refrigeration and Icemaking" forum and read the opening post of the first thread, started by market tech. Then come back here and ask your question again. It should help a lot in getting the answer that you want.
    Klove I nominate you to format an informational service announcement similar to Market Tech that gives posters directions on asking questions. Then maybe we can get the mods to make it a sticky.
    UA 100

Quote Originally Posted by thegoodlistener View Post
    Klove I nominate you to format an informational service announcement similar to Market Tech that gives posters directions on asking questions. Then maybe we can get the mods to make it a sticky.
    I'm flattered, but I come across as a horse's patoot when I start doing that kind of thing. I always thought that market tech nailed it in his post. Don't have any idea why the head honcho don't make that post required reading with a signature on it before they agree to let anyone become a member with posting privileges, regardless of status.