Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: home brew beer

home brew beer

I've been brewing wine successfully for a while and recently I felt the urge to make beer, started with partial mash using grains and extracts to brew ales,love the results and now I'm thinking about going all grain and building a lauter tun, I was wondering how many here brew beer at home also would like suggestions for building a nice rig.

Don't do it!!!! LOL... just kiddin...Me and my son made some beer, well at least thats what we called it. We didn't think there was any beer we wouldn't drink. We were wrong. Don't know what we did wrong but it was the most gut bustin swill I ever tasted. You may be a better brewer than us...no you HAVE to be a better brewer than us. LOL

making good beer and wine is 90% about sanitation and cleanliness, more than likely your beer was contaminated, as I type I'm drinking a mug of my first batch a caramel flavored scotch ale and I truly like it, I have another 5 gallons of Belgian ale fermenting and I cant wait till done.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacpope View Post
    I've been brewing wine successfully for a while and recently I felt the urge to make beer, started with partial mash using grains and extracts to brew ales,love the results and now I'm thinking about going all grain and building a lauter tun, I was wondering how many here brew beer at home also would like suggestions for building a nice rig.
    My dad and I have been homebrewing for about 8 years now. We went through a period where we were doing the all grain thing but got away from it because mainly we are lazy.

For us time wise we have just as good if not better results with extract with grains. When going all grain to do it right you really have to start getting into the water chemistry aspect plus mashing takes a fair amount of extra time and adds more to your clean-up.

You can make a pretty nice Mash tun with a cooler I'm pretty sure you can look this up on the Brew Your Own website.

Ultimately we found we like to keep things simple and just have fun making and more importanly drinking beer

my Uncle did home brewing for a few years...was good stuff till he got "creative" was putting in honey and flowers and herbs and fruits...made some nasty stuff.

myself i like beers brewed under the Reinheitsgebot

Quote Originally Posted by steelersfan1 View Post
    My dad and I have been homebrewing for about 8 years now. We went through a period where we were doing the all grain thing but got away from it because mainly we are lazy.

For us time wise we have just as good if not better results with extract with grains. When going all grain to do it right you really have to start getting into the water chemistry aspect plus mashing takes a fair amount of extra time and adds more to your clean-up.

You can make a pretty nice Mash tun with a cooler I'm pretty sure you can look this up on the Brew Your Own website.

Ultimately we found we like to keep things simple and just have fun making and more importanly drinking beer

I looked into the plastic cooler mash tun and I rather build something better, I saw a set up made of 3 beer kegs,burners and recirculation pump and I would like to build similar unit. I was told all grain beer taste far better than extracts or part mash plus the cost per gallon of beer runs around $2 buck.

When I played with it a few years back, and figured out what it was really costing me per bottle, I went back to commercial. Virtually the same cost.

My palate just isn't that delicate.

Same thing I found with hand loading ammo.

I have a friend who is into home brewing big and has been at it 10 years. I scored him some stainless steel tanks and barrels from an old family dairy. He is accumulating the stuff to go all grain mainly because of the cost related to the quantity that he is brewing. I will say that he makes some killer Stouts and Double Bocks. He makes an oatmeal Stout based beer that is amazing.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

I looked into the plastic cooler mash tun and I rather build something better, I saw a set up made of 3 beer kegs,burners and recirculation pump and I would like to build similar unit. I was told all grain beer taste far better than extracts or part mash plus the cost per gallon of beer runs around $2 buck.
    Your right its a cheap set up but it allows you to get into the all grain setup without putting much money in it. I think this is good so you can "get your feet wet." The set up you mentioned is definitely really nice I wish I could have something like that myself.

As far as all grain beers tasting better I'm not so sure about that. I have tasted examples of both that were good and bad.

Good luck!!

I think I'll build something like this http://www.mullerbrau.com/PICT0114_Small.JPG

I think I'll build something like this http://www.mullerbrau.com/PICT0114_Small.JPG
    I just had a thought, do you have a subscription to BYO? If you do, check out the issue from Nov '07 it has a nice step by step feature on how to build you own 10 gal semi-automated all-grain system.

If you don't have a subscription I believe you can purchase the reprint of this at the web site its called something like "How to build Brutus Ten."

I have made a couple batches years back. My very first batch was bottled, that is where I learned the lesson of sanitation. Boy was that batch of beer bad. After that I went to 5 gal kegs its much easer than bottles. I have gotten away from it, but I so want to do it again. I wish I knew someone that could show me some tricks, I seem to learn better being shown it seems to make what I read click.

Quote Originally Posted by Litchmo View Post
    I have made a couple batches years back. My very first batch was bottled, that is where I learned the lesson of sanitation. Boy was that batch of beer bad. After that I went to 5 gal kegs its much easer than bottles. I have gotten away from it, but I so want to do it again. I wish I knew someone that could show me some tricks, I seem to learn better being shown it seems to make what I read click.
    I didn't bother with bottling, went straight to kegging. done 2 batches so far and both came out good. I just ordered a bunch of ingredients for what I hope would be my last partial mash batch, its all grains after that. There is a joy and a sense of pride about doing things at home, from scratch the old fashion way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast