Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Liebert DS Modbus Comms

Anyone have any experience integrating to Liebert's DS CRAC's with modbus? I'm working on a job with 12 new CRAC's and I'm running into an issue with points going to null (specifically all the numeric points) and binary points changing state without any change on the CRAC itself. I noticed this problem when we started getting compressor #2 high pressure alarms from one of the units. When the unit was checked the compressor was not tripped, and there was history of an alarm in the CRAC's memory. The problem seems intermittant and is only solved temporarily by pulling the comms card on the CRAC and plugging it back it in. I've called their monitoring tech support and they reccoemended that I call the mechanical tech support because it may be an issue of communications between the card and the CRAC's main board. The comms cards are at the latest revision level, and the main boards are not as I understand it. When I talked to the mechanical guys at Leibert they said they've never heard of the issue, and assured me that the revision level on the board is fully compatible with the revision of the comms card.

Any ideas?

I know they are in the process of rolling out new firmware for the DS iCOM controllers somewhat recently. The firmware on the IS485-LBDS interface card can be checked with hyperterminal and the firmware is a download from www.liebert.com, right near where the modbus point lists are for that option card. The firmware for the unit is under tighter wraps and only released to certified trained people though. I want to say that firmware in the iCOM is like 1.04.xxxx now but I could have that wrong.

By the way the *-LBDS cards are the specific ones for the DS iCOM units, the others will not work in them but I guess you have the right ones as you have some functionality.

Next time when one disconnects connect hyperterminal to the service port on the card and I believe somewhere in there it will say whether or not it has comms to the unit, that's something you can screen-cap or log to file to prove you have a problem to support in the unit and not something wrong with the modbus link.

I can tell you it hasn't been all rosey for this unit but most of the comm problems we have had were either in the controlling of setpoints or that and a mixture of understanding what is needed to turn off the built in teamwork modes where they can talk amongst themselves to determine failover and not fight with one humidifying and the other dehumidifying in the same room.

Any more update to this? I have a single DS i-Com unit that is randomly tripping on the same exact alarm. I've checked the registers and the register is correct for Comp 2 High Pressure 10041. It trips for like a minute and then clears on its own.

This unit was installed brand new in June 2010 so I don't know what firmware it is yet and we've got 5 more units that will be installed by next month, so I need to get this resolved.

We have link 45 other Lieberts, a few System 3's and most the model before the DS-icom, but I am not getting this random alarm on any of those models.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

The firmware for the intellislot card is posted on the public website but only the trained techs can access the firmware for the unit itself. The absolute newest ones are using a different intellislot card now too. Should get the techs out there to do under warranty imo.
    Scott Jalbert
    Harris Integrated Solutions

Formerly Liebert (Emerson Network Power)
    Expressed opinions are my own

Thanks, I have an email into the equipment provider. So the firmware upgrade should do it or do you recommend we push for the newer card?
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform

These alarm points can trip intermittant alarms if the alarm buffers are not set correctly. Just because they are set to auto configure doesn't mean that the alarm buffer data comes in right, you have to touch it up. I had this problem as recently as this week and many times in the past.

In my case I am using a Sitelink-12, under protocals there is a parameter section where you configure the alarm buffers. I had this issue this week with the I-com 2mb program tripping a general alarm intermittantly.

The Techs have a cheat sheet that tells them what the buffers should be set for based on what program you are using. If you have other like units already working, compare their alarm buffer settings and make the new one match. Once set correctly, the issue will reolve.
    HotRod

Controls..some days your a hero, some days your a zero. Direct acting since 1992.

Not sure I am following you on this. This is definitely a longer 'blip' as I have a 30 second delay in the monitoring controller before it will send out the alarm. It a TAC programmable gateway, so I added a 30 second delay on the monitored register point. Oh and the alarm log in the unit does not show such an alarm event happening.

He is referring to a sitelink and I think you were referring to an option card speaking modbus right?
    Scott Jalbert

Correct

Oh, I missed that. Yes, I integrate thru a Sitelink which sounds different than what you are using.
    HotRod

Controls..some days your a hero, some days your a zero. Direct acting since 1992.

Change outs and now no comm with site link

Sorry to hijack this thread but we just changed out 5 liebert and datac units. Unhooked the 77 78 data wires and hooked up to the new Liebert DS with icom. Swapped the IGM cable in and reset the crac. No com
    With site link. Help! Please? Do we need to hook up a computer to the site link?

Thanks?

So it sounds like you disconnected the plug on the circuit board marked IGM and plugged in the plug marked Intellislot. Did you plug into the Intellislot using the supplied blue cable and set up the protocol using hyperterminal? You need to set that for IGM and do a save and restart. Is your protocol on the unit's network page set for Velocity and did you do a save and restart after changing that? Once that is all done, be sure that you have the correct I-comm 2mb program in there, your auto configure on YES, and cycle power on the Sitelink.

Be advised, we recently ran into an issue where the intellislot and IGM cables were labeled backwards.
    HotRod

Right now there are three different ways and two different option cards to connect a DS unit to a sitelink. Sort of in a transitional period at the moment.

If the old units were AM (LAM) style and you want to avoid a site visit for the sitelink programming then you can land comm wires to 77/78, plug in that pigtail RJ11 into the logic board, and set the communication options to IGM in the unit. Save and reboot. Then the unit will emulate the previous AM unit minus some things like run hours.

The other two options require some sort of option card, if you have one.
    Scott Jalbert

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast