Chilled Slab Questions

Chilled Slab Questions

I'm working on a design project were we have very few limits on types of systems we can consider and brainstorm with. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on considering Chilled slab. I'm basically looking for some case studies and/or direction in what has worked in the past. I'm definitely aware that the humidity of the space must be very well controlled to consider chilled slab. Any pointers are appreciated.

Follow the link and post there, it's the deep end of the gene pool.
    http://www.eng-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=403

also, google "peter rumsey/chilled slab". He's a leading chilled beam PE in the US. I've heard him speak on low energy topics, and while I don't agree with everything he says, he is actively doing the work you are interested in.
    http://www.architechweb.com/ArticleD...5/Default.aspx
    Last edited by btuhack; 02-10-2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: more info

Thanks

Thanks for the info. It seems like an interesting system. I wonder if there would be comfort issues to the occupants if they are sedentary. You're really not cooling the floor that much... it sounds like the temperature is about the same as you run when you're doing displacement ventilation.

Occupant dissatisfaction? Yes. More than usual? Likely. Compare it to a conventional VAV system or even a small CV system, there you have the ability to tweak and adjust to meet minor tolerance differences. I don't see the same flexibility with slabs. Plus,(big plus) you have the time element that relates to the thermal mass. the weather and solar gains can change more quickly than the ability to respond. You still need a heating plan, right? Same slab, different temp? I personally would be very cautious in deciding if I had the right circumstances for this concept, or chilled beams for that matter. Good luck, and let us know how it works.

Worked with it in a large Chain Mart store. Was used in a dry climate Vegas and worked great and saved alot of money.

A properly sized Evaporative tower will create 65 degree water for the slab on a 90 degree day. The whole store only had a 350 Ton chiller. When the humidity got above limits they would enable the chiller and lower the temp to 45 to use in AHU for dehumidification.

Small WSHP in entrance to handle humidity infiltration at entrance.
    Jeff F.
    www.vfdhelp.com
    VFD, HVAC Motors and Manufacture Assistance.