Thread: 23XL Slide Valve Seals

West Fla. since 2002, Central Va. before that
    Post Likes

23XL Slide Valve Seals

Hello All,
    We have a 23XL that is a back up machine so it sits sometime for months. Back in the summer wouldn't unload one night but that cleared up the next morning. It ran well for a month or so then was shut down for a month or so. When restarted it wouldn't load.

Per the service buletin, we tried the "energize both the load and unload solenoids at the same time" trick to no avail.

So, we transfered the refrigerant and pulled the slide valve assembly.
    When we opened up the cylinders, sure enough the seals were bad and that's why it couldn't load but we can also see some "gunk" left behind at the back (loaded) end of the cylinder from the stuck seal that was the cause of the failure to unload back in the summer.

Anybody ever see these machines do this before? Any ideas why? Most importantly how to stop it from happening again? Besides of course the obvious: run it more often. Maybe these girls just don't like to sit.

It is a "Frame 4" machine with "VI". It has 46k on it and Carrier rebuilt the slide valve (and then some) at about 4 years ago at 36k after the screws ate it.

Also, the local Carrier branch wants almost $2400 for the vavious seals and o-rings. All "soft parts" mind you. Any suggestions for an alternate part source? It's a T&M job so it's not hurtin' me so much but that just seems like alot of money...

Thanks!

Post Likes
    Hi I have worked with sevral 23xl chillers and hvae had the same slide valve problem at about 50,000 hours of run time but living in south texas thay run about 10 monts a yearcarrier recomends thay be overhuled at 40,000-50,000 houres and thats is about the time you start having real problems the parts are usuly hard to get and not cheap but the 23xls are very good chiller

Post Likes
    I am sure you had the old shaft seal. Once you put the new seal on you will be fine. Look at the shaft to see if there are a lot of scratches. If there are you might want to get it polished. I have done several of these over years and once we put the new style seal in we have not had any problems. If you do not have a account with RCD then I think you have to go through the local carrier office. I am sure they marked it up, but remember we also have to make money.

West Fla. since 2002, Central Va. before that
    Post Likes
    I can't believe this post has had over 120 reads and no one has more to offer but thanks to all who have taken the time to read.

As I stated, Carrier rebuilt the slide valve about 4 years/10,000 hours ago. Has there been a design change to the seal since then? I guess the best way to describe the residue in the cylinder is "gummy". Like the oil and the seals didn't agree with each other.

I have photos available if anybody wants to take a look...
    Thanks again!
    Last edited by curlydogmaster; 02-15-2010 at 06:55 AM. Reason: image removed

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in